Retina iPad mini, or faster iPad mini?

omgzombiess

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for an iPad mini with Retina!! I just purchased my mini last weekend and I'm currently debating on returning it and waiting for the next one. But... when will that be?? This month?? Later this year?? Hmmm....

I'm excited to see what they've got in store :p

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm greedy. I want both. I've noticed some lag in FPS games like Modern Combat 4, especially when a notification pops up. But that could be a memory issue as well.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I would rather have it faster easily. In order to make it retina it'd have to be thicker, and heavier and then it totally defeats the purpose of an iPad mini at all.

could sombody explain to my why that is the case? just look at the iTouch, brilliant (retina) display and even thinner than iPad Mini and/or iPhone5. Why shouldnt they be capable of upgrading the screen to retina and still retain the fineness?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm greedy. I want both. I've noticed some lag in FPS games like Modern Combat 4, especially when a notification pops up. But that could be a memory issue as well.

That's common even on my ipad 4 .. I love that game lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Gators625

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
could sombody explain to my why that is the case? just look at the iTouch, brilliant (retina) display and even thinner than iPad Mini and/or iPhone5. Why shouldnt they be capable of upgrading the screen to retina and still retain the fineness?

The iPod touch is also pushing a significant lower number of pixels with that display. The resolution on a retina iPod touch and a retina iPad mini are different. The iPad retina has close to 3 millions pixels...iPod touch is much, much lower so it doesn't take as much processing power to make it run. Hence an A5 is totally fine for an iPod but the iPad needs something like an A6X to make it run well.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
The iPod touch is also pushing a significant lower number of pixels with that display. The resolution on a retina iPod touch and a retina iPad mini are different. The iPad retina has close to 3 millions pixels...iPod touch is much, much lower so it doesn't take as much processing power to make it run. Hence an A5 is totally fine for an iPod but the iPad needs something like an A6X to make it run well.

and the A6X processor is substantially thicker? Isn't the new iPad (5) rumoured to be as thin as the Mini? So they must have found a way to compress it... which in turn would pave the way for the Mini?

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
For me personally it's either Retina or not buying an iPad mini and sticking to my Retina iPad.

I was disappointed seeing all the rumor reports leaning towards no retina this year but today BGR reports that is looks like there will be a retina upgrade this year. While I know this is all speculation and nothing is official until it's released I began to wonder....

If I were apple and I had a chance to release a product one of two ways and was curious to see what the public's reaction would be if I choose to release the lowered spec'd and cheaper to make option, I would float a rumor and gauge the reaction. If it appeared too negative, I'd release a rumor going the other way and see what that reaction would be. This way I could roughly estimate the outrage of both option in the public's eye and plan accordingly.

Just my two cents

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It must be both or it's a no go for me to buy another. After using a iPhone 5, it makes the mini feel like a turtle. I won't settle for one or the other if Apple wants me to drop money in a 2nd Gen mini.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I bought the first iPad. Then I upgraded to the iPad 2 and then upgraded to the iPad 3 when it got Retina. What I learned when they released the 4th gen iPad just a few months later is that if I had only waited a few years I would have paid the exact same amount for the better hardware. So now with the iPad Mini that is going to be what I do. So until it gets Retina I will not buy one. I'm not in a hurry though so many people seem to be willing to give up everything just to get Retina. I mean one year is really going to make a huge difference to you? If they put in a faster processor, more RAM, better battery this year. Then next year better battery tech, better tweaks of the OS, an even faster processor and finally a Retina display would that not be a much better buy? Where I'm concerned my laptop or phone that I use almost every day yes I do want to upgrade the tech as fast as possible. However with the iPad that is a totally different use case I am willing to wait to get a better experience.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For me on previous ios devices the only issue I have had with processor updates is how quickly apple has reduced OS feature support. The processor is key to longevity so my only concern would be if we got a better screen but the same processor we could behind the times. I would hope they opt for a processor upgrade, and other enhanced features rather and batter life over display tech. I really didn't miss "retina" on my ipad mini vs ipad 3,4 so it isn't as big a need for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73