CONTEST: How do you use the iPad for your job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPhone1

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
How I use my iPad at work...

1. I am on shore duty in the Navy.
2. I have a 16GB WIFI+3G iPad. I usually get into work at about 7AM. First thing I do is setup the iPad to run Pandora. The 3G signal inside our building is not great so I usually have to open the doors, go outside to get five bars and come back in, sort of a sync for my 3G service. I then start Pandora and background enable it (yes, I have a jailbroken iPad). Pandora usually runs all day from 7AM to 4:30PM.

I then use NetNewsWire to catch up on all my RSS feeds from Google Reader.
After reading feeds, I do some minor news browsing before turning to my conventional desktop computer. I tend to use the iPad only for music streaming and other small apps during the actual workday.

3. Just being able to stream Pandora on my iPad is great for me. I need music to break up the usual silence. I had to jailbreak it so that I could do more than just listen to Pandora all day. Using Backgrounder to do that.

4. Top 5 Apps
-NetNewsWire
-Pandora
-SkyGrid
-NYTimes Editors Choice
-Twitterriffic (free version)

Last edited:

jecastej

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I know I wont be with my iPad everywhere as for me my iPod Touch is better suited for that. I think my iPad will stay home most of the times. I am a Graphic and 3D Artist I will be using the iPad to show my portfolio and presentations to clients. The best use for me is to read graphic books and magazines, play games, do freehand sketches, use my very limited 3D modeling app and is perfect for video tutorials which I do a lot.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Network Admin etc.

I am a Network Admin at a company in downtown Toronto. I also do some amateur photography and blogging in my job called Life. I bought the iPad really for personal reasons but ofcourse it has helped with both my jobs(Double pun intended) ;). I bought the 3G version because I thought it would be a good selling point when the second generation iPad comes out and I want to sell it to put the money towards my next iPad. So I have setup my work email address on the iPad which was the first and quickest way it has helped me with work duties. When I was away from work sick I was still able to check my emails and reply and copy emails to my co-worker so he could deal with the issues. When I'm on the way to work in the morning I can check my personal emails, check twitter, and browse the forums I'm on, all personal stuff I do throughout the day. So now when I get to work I can get started on all my work issues and I'm already up to date with my personal stuff. I usually have 10 or 15 on going tasks and issues at work plus all the new ones that crop up during the day. So I use checklists, which I have on my iPhone, to keep a list of all the work related tasks I have to get done. I can check the task and clear it once I'm complete. I also use checklists to list all the things that need to be done and software that needs to be installed for the computers I load or reload. It helps me to keep track of all the necessary bits, so I don't leave out one vital piece of software or a setting. The camera connection kit enables me to transfer my shots from my camera to the iPad view them while I'm on my way to work and then transfer them to my laptop for editing later. So on the days I don't want to lug the extra camera bag around this is invaluable. The iPad is able to transfer RAW files, well mine at least, from my Nikon DSLR and then uploads the original RAW file back to my laptop without any compression. The other day I was in my basement composing a blog post on my iPad, I saved it when I went to do something else and picked it up where I left off the next morning on my way to work. I edited a few things later at work on my laptop. Then on my lunch hour I took the iPad out into the glorious sunshine sat on a bench finished up the post and published it using the 3G connection. I would have been stuck in the office on a sunny day or had to lug my heavier laptop to some restaurant or coffee shop with Wifi to do the same thing. So it has definitely done all the things I wanted it for and many things I never intended.

Last edited:

stinkbreath

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Simple.

As a firefighter, I use it to prep for upcoming promotional exams by using GoodReader to view all my fire study docs and books that are in pdf. I rather lug the iPad vs about 15 books. :)

As a daddy, I let my daughters watch Kick Buttowski (kids cartoon) on it while I play Bejeweled Blitz on my iPhone. :)

keryy

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
As a marketing manager, I often be away on business. Then I can do everything I need, checking email, deal with some business online, everything.

(.ZooGue.)

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
ZooGue Reply

TiPb's curious -- how do you use the iPhone for your job?

We want some real life stories, some real world experience. We want to know what it's like to use the iPhone in your line of work (and yes, being a student or caregiver or stay-at-home parent or even... politician, counts as work!)

1. Tell us what your job is.
2. Give us a paragraph or two describing how you use your iPad during your workday. Tell us the *story*.
3. Share any tips or tricks you might have come across. What about the iPad makes your job easier?
4. List the top 5, must have apps you use to get that job done.

And... That's it!

We'll be picking one reply every week or two and including it in a post right on the front page of TiPb.com. If/when your post gets picked, not only do you get your name (or username) up in lights, you get a sweet $20 iTunes gift certificate for your trouble! And yes, we will prioritize based on how awesome, how funny, how tragic, how well written, how inspiring, how disappointing, -- generally how memorable your entry is. So bring it!

So what are you waiting for, tell us how you use your iPad for your job?[/QUOTE]

My Name is Tim Angel
25 years old
Im the owner of ZooGue

My current occupation is inventor/Owner

Ever since I can remember I have been a huge fan of apple. Well my story goes hand in hand with the iPad. Back when the iPad was announced I knew it was going to be a revolutionary gadget.

After many days of nonstop brainstorming I came up with an Invention for the iPad. Then I sold basicly everything I had and bought a plane ticket to china. With my home made to scale wood ipad I was on a mission to find a manufacturer and get my product produced. I took a video diary of the entire experience all the ups and downs. From Beginning to end I have All the videos on my You Tube channel.

I ended up getting so sick I went to the hospital 5 times. They put IV's in me and everything.

Once the iPad was released for sale I had a friend purchase one and ship it over to me in Guangzhou. My iPad came in real handy since no one in my hotel spoke english. Believe it or not I started taking to this chinese girl I even took her on dates with the ipad and we would communicate soley through the iPad. haha Everyone starred at us. We had an iPad relationship that lasted until I returned back to California about 3 weeks.

The iPad makes my job alot easier because when I am in china I can communicate with anyone. I can surf the internet whenever i need to without having to do it all on my small phone.

My tip for the iPad is........ get one hahaah

There were some great apps I used
my favorites I used for work was AIM app, Skype app, calculator app to calculate the exchange rate, wells fargo app for keeping track of all of my banking and of course a couple translator apps

Last edited:

redmudbass

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just Graduated, Heading To College

1.) College student and I give music lessons on the side.

2.) I bought my iPad the weekend I graduated! I am so sad to say this but I am a blackberry addict, but since my purchase of an iPad I do not need my BlackBerry like a drug. I have a new addiction, my iPad! I use my iPad for anything and everything. I go out of my way to use my iPad.

When my students come over they pull out their instrument and look straight at my iPad to see what the lesson is going to entail. I recently found Adobe Ideas (love it!) I use this app to write out chord changes or to notate a rhythm. During the lesson I use a lot of the iPod portion to demonstrate examples of bass lines or what not.

I love the mail client! It is gorgeous! The fall semester has not started, but we all know how that goes, am I right? This is when Mail comes in! I have used Mail for downloading registration forms for upcoming marching season or just forms for scholarships I have been awarded. When college starts I imagine I will use Pages A LOT more (Can not wait).

Now my favorite two apps on iPad, Calendar and Notepad! I use these apps everyday, every hour! Calendar, just like mail looks spectacular! I love the feeling of the calendar, very clean (I might have OCD haha)! I use the calendar on the iPad more than on my 9630 (if your not a addict that is a tour haha). The next app is Notepad which is another amazing app! I love the feeling of having a yellow legal pad in my hand.

3.) I don't know if many know this but I just discovered this, while listening to the iPod portion, say your writing in Pages double tap the home button, it will bring up a little menu to control the iPod. ( sorry about the run-on, it's the excitement of touching my iPad ;), oh I failed to mention this but I am writing this from my iPad!)

4.) Calendar, Notepad, Mail, Pages, Adobe Ideas and iPod for six, I know it says five but how can you just narrow it to five? I barely narrowed it down to 6

P.S. My iPad has replace my laptop, my blackberry, my books and with the newly updated iBooks I now carry music charts with me so it has even replaced some of my music. It really is a magical and revolutionary product.

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
iPad at Work, Air Conditioning Sales / Design Engineer

So you want to know how the iPad helps me in my work, well let me tell you it doesn?t just help me it has changed everything....again 

Let?s backtrack a little, when the iPad was announced earlier this year, I was confused, I just did not get it at all, it had nothing to offer me that I did not already have with my iPhone 3GS and Toshiba Windows 7 notebook, how wrong I was.

I have changed my mind completely; this device is an amazing tool for my job. I work in sales, I visit clients and assist them in the design, selection and pricing of Air Conditioning Equipment, I also regularly contact them with product updates, run through new technologies and legislation and generally keep them informed on the latest news from the industry, my briefcase is stuffed with leaflets, brochures and price lists, all a bit worn with turned up corners and coffee cup stains, you know how it is, not very professional at all.

Enter the iPad!!!

Now consider one slim device, slip it in your briefcase and you have every one of those leaflets, brochures and prices lists literally at your finger tips in perfect condition, on top of that you can have instant on access to every presentation and technical manual you have and an easy search to find them in seconds, it?s pure genius and has changed the way I do business, customers love the iPad, I should be on commission for Apple, everyone I have showed it too loves it and wants one, it?s a great tool for business without a doubt.

The applications that I get the most use from are Goodreader, it?s so elegant and easy to use and makes all my pdf?s a pleasure to view and let?s not forget Penultimate, it?s the best freehand note taking application out there which I use with the Pogo Stylus, they have an integrated software algorithm that can detect the difference between writing and pressure from the base of your hand and it works perfectly, it is a great application.

So that?s my story, my iPad goes with me everywhere, it?s only a 16 gig WiFi but with the MiFi I already have, it gives me access to the internet when I need it so I don?t need the 3G version.

Chris

TheMooch

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
1.) I'm an associate Test Engineer on contract at KLA-Tencor in San Jose.

2.) KLA is one of those companies that actually *use* technology, so getting my iPad on the network was childsplay. During a typical evening I'll use my iPad to look up procedeures using GoodReader, access my company email and calendar, and use Citrix to log into a virtual Windows Desktop or the production checklist application.

3.) The ability to wirelessly upload documents to my iPad through Goodreader has been invaluable.

4.) Top 5 must have apps:
Citrix
GoodReader
Toodledo
Penultimate
Kindle/iBooks

3.)

pstmstr

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
How I use my iPad at work

1. I am a Manager, Operations Programs Support for the Oklahoma District of the US Postal Service. Bascially, I manage programs and policies that deal with delivery, mail processing in post offices, and retail window units. I refer to myself jokingly as scapegoat for whatever goes wrong.
2. I use my 64 3g ipad for note taking, task management, delivery unit reviews, and background music at work. I haven't written on paper for several weeks except to sign things. Anything that would normally go on paper goes into the ipad including scanned pdf files, word documents, excel files, etc. I am not able to access my work email on the device due to firewall issues but I forward stuff to my personal email address when necessary. I also export my outlook calendar and import into google calendar that syncs with the ipad. When I do a delivery unit review, I have checklists in Numbers that I use, then save to Iwork, or email as a pdf file to the unit manager that I am reviewing. This works very well and includes any notes I took during the review. File management on the ipad needs additional work but is getting better. Cloud sites like Dropbox, Boxnet, Google Docs, are not accessible from my work computer but are on the 3g ipad.
3. I take meeting notes and tag them with the subject for easy access later if needed. I used to have to complete reviews on paper, then enter in excel later to compute the overall score, and send the final version to the unit manager. Now I have the score on site, can send the file to the manager, then sit down and discuss the results.
4. My favorite app has to be Todo for task management, it's simple to use yet complex enough for project management and syncs with the web and my iphone. I have tried several note taking apps but am currently using Note Taker both with my finger, and a Pogo stylus sometimes. I use Evernote quite a bit, the built in Calendar, and email. I have Documents to Go, Quick Office, and Numbers but find myself using numbers more than any of them.
I have my ipad in an Incipio Feather shell that is very thin, yet gives it some protection and carry it in a Waterfield case that has a compartment on back for just a few items. I also recently purchased the device that has leather corners with the neoprene straps so you can slide your hand under it as you walk around with the ipad in delivery unit. It fits right over the Incipio case and I take it off when not needed.

Overall I'm very pleased with my current Ipad set up and it serves me very well at work. When I first got it, I almost sold it since it did just seem like a big Ipod Touch but am glad I stuck with it and found some useful apps for work.

Quinnovate

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Recursive Work

I'm a learning technology consultant (with the final manuscript for a book on mobile learning due this week!), so I push my technology quite hard to make me effective. When the iPad was announced, I didn't intend to get one (I'm very careful to not spend money without clearly knowing what I will get out of it), but I had mine 7 minutes after the store opened on the day it was launched. In between, I figured out how this device would make my life better.

I haven't taken a laptop on a trip since. At client sites, I take notes, sketch or share diagrams, and review previously circulated documents. At conferences I present, tweet session comments, mindmap keynotes (and post them on my blog). When traveling in general I keep up with email, write proposals or results, create new diagrams capturing thoughts, and relax with movies or books. I distribute tasks between my phone (navigation, hooking up with colleague, and emergency email access) and the iPad (when I'm near WiFi, which is most of the time).

They're the same tasks I performed before, but I've the much lighter platform, longer battery, and more personal experience. It's nice to take a short version on the iPad as a quick thought capture/reflection tool, to share immediately or polish later at home. The new opportunity is sketching, done digitally for quick sharing and later polishing.

My key apps (besides the core apps like Calendar and Mail etc) are the iWork Suite (Pages and Keynote in particular), OmniGraffle, GoodReader, Evernote, and TweetDeck. WordPress and Adobe Ideas come quickly thereafter.

gsscout7

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
.pdf's are awesome on it so I use it for small business presentations. Some people I work with thought that with a small firm like us that it would seem slightly amateur, but giving a small presentation to 3-4 individuals is great with the iPad. The screen is just so beautiful, and big enough to show to a small crowd. In terms of a business looking case, I just ordered a Caveman iPortfolio and it looks really nice. Not much distraction around the iPad, just a really nice black velvet interior. If you're in business and want to travel appropriately check out the iPortfolio at cavemancase .com

Aaron

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Audio Visual Coordinator

I am the AV coordinator for a school district. My tasks include things like video editing and equipment repair, but the bulk of time is spend managing and running the theatre.

Of course I use my iPad for the usual synching with our exchange server. I use Safari to log into our help desk to check requests people have submitted to the AV dept. Things is a must on my iPad. It is in sync with Things on my iPhone and MacBook Pro. Everything from daily todo's to major events taking place in the theater are organized in/with Things. When a new help ticket comes into my email inbox, it goes straight into Things.

In our main theater, we have an ETC Ion lighting console that can be remotely controlled from the iPad with the iRFR app. Simply turing lights on or off while on the catwalk, or sitting in the audience or fully controlling the moving lights are done from the iPad. When students are running the board, I can monitor the cue list from my iPad as a show is going on, even taking notes on individual cues.

The main sound mixing board can be accessed via VNC and controlled from anywhere in the theater. Instead of mixing the sound from the back of the hall, I can be sitting where the audience will be, or various places throughout the hall.

Simple Note is used for all note taking in meetings and anytime I need to jot down some info such as part numbers, if I am working on a repair.

In my office, my iPad is on my desk in a Griffin Loop stand, ready to be used as an additional monitor with Air Display.

Since i got my iPad, my MacBook Pro has seldom left my desk, when I used to carry it across campus everyday.

jerrydavid

Jul 19, 2010
www.fashionshoppings.com
I am a freelance writer and business marketer.
I take my ipad along wherever I go, before I sit down to work, I will check it to see what to do on my schedule. With ipad on me, I can know about the latest news and trends around the world, including technology innovation, latest political news and even timely weather condition.
The most common features and apps I use include ToDo, GoodReader, Note Pad and Netflix, which are truly awesome.

MistrWebmastr

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm an IT Administrator for a local Church in San Jose, CA. Being an IT administrator for a church, the job is quite wide with my responsibilities. I manage the computers, network & servers, as well as fix problems when they arise, and do A/V tech here and there.

Before the iPad, I was always having to ask people to move so I could use Remote Desktop on their systems to remote in and look at settings on the servers to figure out what the problem is. Now with the iPad, I keep the servers in Mocha RDP's app for quick access to the servers, or to my Desktop when I'm away from my desk. the iPad works for about 80% of what I need when I'm working on a system, but for that other 20%, having my Windows 7 Desktop so easily accessible is a Godsend. Other than servers, with everything I have to do, I use Calendar to sync with our Exchange server so that I have one central calendar for managing my time effectively & Evernote for syncing my notes from meetings & projects across my Desktop, iPhone & iPad. I use Mail to keep up-to-date with my e-mail inbox to keep in communication with co-workers & vendors. I constantly use Safari to look up information on errors people have, without having to move them out of the way to use their browser to perform the same task.

With the Tech side of things, I use my iTeleport to control our sound system so that I can mix practice sitting in the middle of the room and setup snapshots which allows me to set starting points for my mix from what it sounded like in the middle of the room. I must admit that though iTeleport is an expensive app, the fact that I bought it a year ago for my iPhone & they made it a universal binary which worked on my iPad made me very happy, as iTeleport was the only VNC app I could find which would let me control our sliders. Not only did it work, but unlike most remote connection apps, iTeleport works like a giant trackpad overlaid on top of the screen, so mousing is a lot easier than trying to hunt & peck. When I'm prepping to run a show, I use Planning Center Online's app to show me the order of service for the weekend, or to play songs for the band that need to hear what the MP3 sounded like. When I'm running our video production booth, I use BroadcastPix's iPixiPad to remotely activate pre-programmed presets on the board, which is wonderful since I can always have the memories close at hand even if I'm using the hardware board for something else (like camera control)

Overall, I bought the iPad hoping I could use it all day to remote into the servers, and maybe to control the soundboard. In fact what I found was so much more. It's totally revolutionized how I do my job - more so than my iPhone - just because of it's larger screen. I would highly recommend the iPad for any systems administrators who constantly have to wander yet still have access to the servers.

My Essential Apps:

Mocha RDP
iTeleport (VNC)
Calendar
Evernote
Safari
Mail

kmiahali

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The Life of a Blogger and his iPad

In the blogging world, you know how hard it can get to manage, write posts, and take heat about questionable work at times, when you just can't stay awake anymore. Everyone at TiPb knows waht it's like and that's exactly when the iPad comes to the rescue. On a long, tiring night, the last thing I want to do is write posts, research and gather information, so the iPad comes to great use on the commute home.

The Wordpress app helps you write posts and manage them properly from the bus (you know when the spam comments begin to get out of control). The notes app on iPad, alongside it's almost full sized keyboard, helps me keep my thoughts organized in a clear and coherent manner and during this time, cut copy and paste also helps a lot. The Weather Channel app helps me know whether a trip to the office will require an umbrella. Phone helps me talk to editors and the Boss Man. Lastly, the Calendar on iPhone helps me plan out my next long day in the blogging world. For those days when work is a little on the light side, Flipboard is a great way to sit down and catch up on interesting news and anecdotes.

Blogging can get very hard at times, but the iPad relieves a lot of the stress, a lot more than when I used to attempt to use the mobile internet on my Razr to do the work. iPad is a lifesaver through it's great applications and large screen size.

c-way

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I am a driving instructor, I was happy with my paper based diary but my laptop was a nightmare, to be honest my laptop is great but my other half commandeered my laptop and I was left
With his 4 year old toshiba! So he offered to buy me a new laptop or netbook, great!!! Pc world here we come :). I end up paying for an iPad :))

I love it, I can do my diary, my accounts, check weather, check email, check Facebook, it's just fantastic and I can use apps to help with theory and hazard
Perception Expensive toy, but such a great business tool

kc2ped

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
iPad and Sidewalk Astronomy

I use my iPad for sidewalk astronomy in Central Park, New York City.

I have 24 apps I use to help me navigate the sky and pull up data about the objects we are seeing. When we get questions we can't answer 3G is there so I can Google for the answer. Before going out I try to look up what satellites we might be seeing and when I forget 3G is there again to bail me out.
We found over the weekend that one of my apps depicts more stars than the same app does on the iPhone so the big screen is an advantage there as it is when trying to share graphics with the public. Since none of the apps are perfect I still have to carry my Palm T3 with me but I am using it less since I have the iPad. And with 10 hours of battery I usually don't have to worry if it has been charged during the day.

My top apps include Safari, iCal, planetarium programs (Sky Voyager, Star Walk, Sky Orb 3D, Go Sky Watch, Distant Suns, Stars), Lunar atlases (Moon Atlas, Moon Globe, Moon Map Lite), iEphemeris Lite, Emerald Observatory (because ie is beautiful), solar programs (SOHO, 3D Sun), weather programs (iCSC, WeatherBug, Wundermap), Magnet Meter (to find satellites), planet programs (Planet Facts, Planets), Asteroid Alert, reference documents (Evernote, Notes, Numbers, DocsToGo) and for documenting my observations for<I>.

Charlie

---<>---
Fat-fingered from my iPad, please excuse thumbos.

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible.
Welsh proverb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW