I've had it with 'free' apps

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
In fact, my information is store on Apple's server(s)

This is not recommended. It's called a continuous payment authority and is very dangerous. In effect, you are giving Apple (or whoever) the right to charge your card whenever they think you owe them money. Or whenever they have a system glitch. Incorrectly debited funds should be reclaimable, but this can be a frustrating process and it's up to you to notice the problem. It's better not to end up in that situation in the first place, so remove credit card details from company systems at the first opportunity.

See for example http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments , including the section headed "Continuous payment authorities can be a nightmare".

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is not recommended. It's called a continuous payment authority and is very dangerous. In effect, you are giving Apple (or whoever) the right to charge your card whenever they think you owe them money. Or whenever they have a system glitch. Incorrectly debited funds should be reclaimable, but this can be a frustrating process and it's up to you to notice the problem. It's better not to end up in that situation in the first place, so remove credit card details from company systems at the first opportunity.

See for example http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments , including the section headed "Continuous payment authorities can be a nightmare".

To this point, nothing terrible has happened, and hopefully, nothing will. Still, I appreciate the info.

rcbeamer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Regarding games and in app purchases, even productivity app as and in app purchases. I don't mind them, if they are within reason. Of course there are the 'clan' or 'village' type games that can consume thousands of dollars, but those aside. The App Store doesn't allow devs to charge for significant upgrades. As well, there is no reduced price upgrade option.

I hesitate buying an app before I can try it, I have wasted Tom much money otherwise. I have zero problems paying a few bucks to eliminate ads. As well, the model where we buy an app and get free development and upgrades for life, isn't really fair to the devs. In app purchases for features I also believe is a decent model, especially in App Store that isn't really built on a way to support upgrades.

I do like the developers that have a lite and paid version. Let's me try, then I can buy if it suits my needs.

I'm ok with the in app purchases(aside from never ending rabbit holes, and subscriptions), in fact, when viewing an app, and by simply looking at the in app purchase options, I have found you learn a great deal about the business model of the developer and make an even better decision about whether or not to try their app.

As a matter of fact, I look at in app purchases after screenshots and before I even read description and reviews now.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't have my credit card info on my devices anymore. What you should do is delete your credit card info and just buy an itunes card. The amount is supposed to be carried across all of your devices via itunes. Unless your buying something online or from imore than you shouldn't need to keep your info on there. My daughter has my 6s plus and i set up her account with an itunes card. Hope this helps.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I like how Pythonista and other apps bundle the new version to create a paid upgrade. You still can keep the old app, or get a discount on the upgrade.

I would never buy Drafts since their upgrade process kills old versions or switches to IAP/freemium.

SteveMun80

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Freemium is a thing and yes, everybody has to eat. What grinds my gears – false advertising.
I mean, I have no problem to put few bucks into the app or a game I'm genuinely interested in, but don't advertise it as 'free' and then get me into a money trap with limited functionality or gaming experience on the very beginning me playing or using the app.
If the experience sucks from the start there's a very little chance I would be willing to make it better with the upgrade. I will ditch the game or an app. Period.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
What really bugs me about this is that I have bought an app which has now been changed to free. It's eligible for family sharing so you'd expect I could share it but since the app is now free it's activated with an in app purchase.

I can no longer share the app therefore as my girlfriend and my son both need to make in app purchases to make the app work.

That's poor from the developer and from Apple to allow that happen.

As I paid full price for the app that should be respected and my benefits should not have been taken away.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods