Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)

Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)
    Free ($1.99), *****

• Excellent digital picture frame app
    • Multiple settings allows for customization
    • Free version is usefull

• None!!

When the iPad first came out, one of the features that I liked best was using the screen as a digital picture frame. Unfortunately Apple got rid of that feature, but Picmatic picks up where Apple left off! (Note, this review, and images, are for the iPad, but it also works on the iPhone)

Review:  Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)-photo-oct-02-12-33-05-pm.jpg
    Figure 1. Picmatic allows you to use your beautiful pictures on the iPad like a digital picture frame.

The iPad has a nice, big screen, and when I am not using it, it seems to be a waste having it just sit there, dark, neglected. Originally I was using it as a digital frame, but after Apple got rid of that feature, I left it alone until I tried a new app just a few weeks ago – Picmatic. Picmatic can turn your iPad in a digital frame, and it comes with a huge array of features to tailor the experience to your personal tastes.

Review:  Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)-photo-oct-02-12-49-02-pm.jpg
    Figure 2. You can customize the app, choosing multiple layout options for your pictures.

These features or settings are where I think Picmatic excels. Rather than try to apply a lot of bells and whistles, Picmatic instead allows you to customize the specifics of the picture frame experience. One of the most basic settings is that you can choose the layout of the pictures. I selected single pictures for myself, but you can choose from 50 different options, showing up to 8 pictures on the screen at once. In addition to layouts, you can choose different photo filters. Again, I chose none, but there are 40 different filters to select from, including ones that mimic instant cameras, noir settings, black and white, and sepia. You can even select multiple filters at once, to randomly different filters (one at a time) for the pictures that show up.

Review:  Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)-photo-oct-02-12-35-05-pm.jpg
    Figure 3. You can choose to show a clock and date, and even use a "sleep mode" for nighttime.

Other settings include being able to select transition effects, how long the pictures remain, speed of the transition, and even a “Ken Burns” effect (like the kind on his documentaries). You can allow a date/clock to appear on the picture, you can have it automatically set to sleep mode at certain times, you can play music (using gesture controls on the screen to alter the music), and more.
    Picmatic is free, but in order to unlock all the features, you have to “upgrade” to the Pro version for $1.99. I upgraded, but even if you don’t, the app still can act as a suitable digital picture frame – you just won’t have access to all the features. Without upgrading, you have access to about 10% of the features, enough to have a digital picture frame, but not enough to customize it to taste.

Review:  Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)-photo-oct-02-12-33-49-pm.jpg
    Figure 4. Multiple filters allow you to stylize your photos to taste - or just randomly apply whichever ones you want!

If there was one thing I wish Picmatic also had, it is maybe to include some sort of simple weather icon to indicate the weather or forecast. However, this is far from an essential feature, so I don’t consider it lacking in the final product. One other minor nitpick is that you can't choose a "random" transition method, although you can work around this by selecting them all, so they will all (or just the ones you select) will be applied randomly. I do recommend that you keep the iPad plugged in while using the app, otherwise the battery may just keep draining.

Review:  Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)-photo-oct-02-12-49-46-pm.jpg
    Figure 5. With a huge array of customization settings, you can truly make a digital frame that suits your style.

All in all, Picmatic is an excellent digital frame app with no flaws. The price can’t be beat for the basic version (free) with an upgrade to the pro version (for $1.99) providing access to more features and customization settings. With load of customization features available, and no downside, Picmatic gets an excellent five out of five star rating!

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that – opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

Default Re: Review: Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)

As always, thanks for the review ...

Default Re: Review: Picmatic, by Team Whiskey Beavers (universal binary)

Thanks for the review.