Creation 5 - Streaming with DLNA and AirPlay
We've recently released a big new update to our iOS app, Creation 5. It's our biggest update yet, with a new UI, new features and a code cleanup to reduce filesize.
What is Creation 5?
Creation 5 is an all-in-one media solution for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch (3rd Gen) running iOS 7.0+. The goal is to provide all your media needs in one app, without having to download multiple apps or keep switching between them.
The app provides access to all the media stored on your device, or on a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and lets you play them back on any DLNA or AirPlay-enabled playback device (such as a SmartTV, wireless speaker, etc).
What can Creation 5 do?
· Access your music, videos and podcasts stored on your device.
· Access to over 40,000 internet radio stations, with an intuitive search UI.
· Access to the Rdio music streaming service.
· DLNA and AirPlay compatibility to access any file saved on a NAS, and the ability to play them back over your wireless network.
· YouTube Video search - search for any video on YouTube. The app can find the corresponding video for any song currently playing or in your collection.
· Download YouTube videos - the videos are stored locally in the App's folder, and cannot be extracted. Watch them with friends or when internet isn't available.
· Download files from your NAS for when you're out and about.
· Dropbox access
· Create music, video or YouTube video playlists, or compile files from separate NAS' in one playlist.
The app supports all music files apart from WMA-L (Windows Media Audio Lossless) and all the popular video files, without conversion.
You can also share music videos with your friends through Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail and SMS, as well as Messenger and WhatsApp. The link will direct them to the App Store to download the app, or play it inside the app if it is installed (in case they feel like downloading it!).
We also have a Playlists section, which is updated on a tri-weekly basis with a Throwback Thursday video, our Sunday Sessions, where we interview stars in the music industry and create a playlist from their favorite chill-out tracks, and daily music videos.
Note that Net Radio and Rdio doesn't work with DLNA at this time, only AirPlay. We're looking for a fix, and will hopefully be able to have it working for iOS 8.
We have many new features in the pipelines already. The app is updated almost every week, so new features and bug fixes are rolled out very quickly. We have a Shazam-like feature coming soon, photo streaming using DLNA and better YouTube integration, among others.
Our next update will also make the app entirely free - instead of In-App Purchases there will be adverts, with options to remove advertising or go Pro.
Creation is a division of Bang & Olufsen Marbella, the most successful B&O franchise in the world, which designs Home Cinemas using B&O audiovisual products and develops its own support products. We originally developed the app to control the BeoSound and BeoMaster 5 - the software that was shipped with these products were dreadful to use. A lot of B&O stores give away our app when a B&O TV or sound system is sold.
If you have any questions, suggestions or bug reports, we'd absolutely love to hear them!
You can download via the App Store on your device. There's an iPhone and iPad version!
Thanks for reading!