Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: Trivial Pursuit Master Edition for iPad, by EA

Trivial Pursuit Masters Edition for iPad, by EA
    $4.99, ***1/2

• Multiplayer, and new “pursuit” game mode
    • Good mix of questions included
    • Can customize the game play

• AI play is limited to one player
    • Game play lags a little bit

Trivial Pursuit is a great trivia game, and a fun game to play with a group of people. The “Master Edition” for the iPad bring the game to a wide variety of players – so how much fun is it?

To start, when you play the game, you have two game modes – “regular” style (which can be customized) and pursuit mode. When playing in regular mode, you can customize a wide range of settings, such as how long you have to answer a questions, AI difficulty, and how many wedges you need to win. One problem was apparent right off the bat – if you play against the AI you only can play against one player. Multiplayer mode is included as both a “around the table” style or via local wifi. You can’t challenge other people in other locations, so the multiplayer, while nice, is somewhat limited.

Review:  Trivial Pursuit Master Edition for iPad, by EA-photo-jun-11-11-46-06-am.jpg
    Figure 1 - The classic game board, sure to be familar to most.

Pursuit mode is a little different. The goal is to get to the end of a track in as few questions/moved as possible. If you get a question right, you get to role the die to move forward. If you get it wrong, you only move one space forward. You aren’t playing against anyone else, just trying to beat the clock, as it were. The questions are also timed, adding a little excitement to the game. I have to say, pursuit mode was fun to play.

Review:  Trivial Pursuit Master Edition for iPad, by EA-photo-jun-11-11-45-59-am.jpg
    Figure 2 - Answer questions from a simple multiple choice option (it appears there are always 3 options)

Regarding the questions, the game comes with three levels – easy, medium, and hard. You can purchase additional question packs for $0.99 each. When playing, you can choose which, if any packs, you want to play with. I was hoping that you could choose something like a “kids pack” if you wanted to play with a child (and you would use the regular questions) but that wasn’t an option. The questions are varied and I have yet to encounter the same questions twice.

Review:  Trivial Pursuit Master Edition for iPad, by EA-photo-jun-11-11-41-24-am.png
    Figure 3 - Customize gameplay settings for the regular game mode.

But when I was playing the game, I got to thinking about playing a trivia game against the AI. I would guess that the game simply randomized how many questions the AI gets correct – more correct as a more difficult setting. This made me wonder about the value of playing against the AI – they aren’t really answer questions or not (in fact, you can’t even see the questions that the AI answers when you are playing). When playing, the graphics seemed to lag somewhat, despite the fact that I was using a new iPad Air. I am concerned about the speed of play if you are playing on an older device. While playing, helpful hints pop up on the screen guiding you through the game (which can be turned off). The resolution wasn’t that great – it seems like it is not optimized for a retina screen.

Review:  Trivial Pursuit Master Edition for iPad, by EA-photo-jun-11-11-59-49-am.png
    Figure 4 - Pursuit mode follows a path, trying to finish in as few questions/moves as possible.

One nice things is that during the game, you can get a statistical summary of your game play. In regular mode, it is basically how many questions you are getting correct. In pursuit mode, it has more detail, including how long it takes you to answer a question. But the statistics are not cumulative, and I can’t find any place to access them if you are not playing. It would be nice to be able to “save up” your games and build an overall statistical profile.

Review:  Trivial Pursuit Master Edition for iPad, by EA-photo-jun-11-12-01-23-pm.png
    Figure 5 - Detailed statistics are available, but they don't appear to save to your profile.

All in all, if you like answer trivia questions just for the heck of it, maybe with some challenge to them, pursuit mode is a fun game to play.
    The regular mode of gameplay was limiting and not that much fun, and the limited multiplayer options don’t add much to the game. Throw in a lack of continual statistic tracking, and the game left me feeling somewhat disappointed. At $4.99, it isn’t horribly priced, but it doesn’t really make my “must buy list”. Three and a half out of five stars.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that – opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

Default Re: Review: Trivial Pursuit Master Edition for iPad, by EA

Thanks for your review
    iMore Genius

14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

Thank you once again CJ. Great screenshots and write up.

Thanks for the review, bro.