Review Blitz: Tweet Defense HD, Medieval HD

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have a number of apps that I have been waiting to review, but limited time has prevented me from writing up lengthy reviews. As such, over the next few days, I will be posting some "review" blitzes. Short, to the point reviews of some apps, so people can see if the apps are something they might want to try. I will be happy to answer any questions people may have about the apps, so if you have a comment or question, go ahead and respond in the thread! I will also be doing this on the iPhone apps forum.

The Review Blitz contains Tweet Defense HD and Medieval HD

[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/medieval-hd/id387132819?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Medieval HD[/URL], by Brisk Mobile Inc.
$2.99, ****

Pros:

? Nice graphics
? Well designed, easy to play
? Game difficulty progresses nicely

Cons:

? Sometimes difficult to aim your shots
? No multiplayer

Medieval HD is an iPad version of the same game (I have not played the iPhone version). In this game, you use your castle (and it?s armory, knights, archers, etc) to attack your opponent castle. You have various weaponry available to you, including things like fire arrows, boulders, bombs, as well as various troops (which I mentioned previously). You have one large crossbow like weapon to fire, so you are limited in that sense, but you can choose from the multiple arrow types, or send you troops into battle. You win the battle by either defeating the enemy castle or capturing his flag. But watch out because he is trying to do the same to you! This is a fun game, which progressively gets harder and harder as you advance in levels. Luckily, you can buy upgrades for your weapons ? new types of weapons or troops, or increasing the strength of your weapon.

Unfortunately, there is no multiplayer option because this would be a great game to go head-to-head against someone. But it is still fun, and enough of a challenge that you can play it over and over. The graphics are nice for the iPad, although the controls are sometimes a little difficult to master (many times I found myself firing in the wrong direction, or unable to aim as accurately as I would have liked. With multiple difficulty levels, it?s a fun game to play if you need to pass the time. Four out of five stars.

[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tweet-defense-hd/id372935398?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]TweetDefense HD[/URL], by Promethium Marketing Group
$7.99, **

Pros:

? Nice graphics?at least for the cut images

Cons:

? Lots of glitches in the game ? especially if trying to resume an existing game
? Nothing to make it stand out other than the ?tweet? option

I like a fun, well designed tower defense game, especially if it looks nice. Unfortunately, TweetDefense HD disappointed on both levels. The graphics initially look very nice, but when actually playing the game they are somewhat mundane ? nothing special there. In terms of the game design, it is a standard tower defense game, but in many ways the towers are poorly designed. Some of them are so expensive you can?t really ever buy them. Others seem completely useless. Many levels are able to be completed with just one tower type. The games ?hook? is that it is linked to Twitter. More followers and activity, the stronger you are. It?s an interesting concept, but it never really pans out in the game play. In addition, there were a lot of ?glitches? in the game play, especially if I left a game in the middle, and tried to resume it later. The graphics were messed up, the zombies were allowed to walk anywhere ? basically poorly designed. If you really want a game that lets you be powerful based on your social networking, you may want to give Tweet Defense a try, but otherwise I say skip it. Two out of five stars.