Device constantly running out of memory

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
So I have a 16 GB iPad Air (I know probably should have opted for larger storage at the time of purchase). Every so often my device slows down and the settings app indicates that I have used 11 GB and have 1.7 remaining, or something along those lines. I never really thought much of it until one day I ran out completely. Keep in mind I only have a handful of apps on my device, so my curiosity set in and I decided to add up the storage used by each app.
What I have found is that 11 GB has not been used by apps, the tallied total came up to 6.7 GB. Where is the other storage at? I am able to recover the lost space by restoring my iPad from a backup but doing this every two months seems a little excessive. Am I missing something? Is there some sort of garbage collection that I can be doing to eliminate this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Apps aren't the only thing that use storage. Pics, music, videos, document etc all take up space as well.

If you go to settings > general > usage > manage storage it will break down everything that is using up storage for you.

Sent from my Six Plus

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
So I have a 16 GB iPad Air (I know probably should have opted for larger storage at the time of purchase). Every so often my device slows down and the settings app indicates that I have used 11 GB and have 1.7 remaining, or something along those lines. I never really thought much of it until one day I ran out completely. Keep in mind I only have a handful of apps on my device, so my curiosity set in and I decided to add up the storage used by each app.
What I have found is that 11 GB has not been used by apps, the tallied total came up to 6.7 GB. Where is the other storage at? I am able to recover the lost space by restoring my iPad from a backup but doing this every two months seems a little excessive. Am I missing something? Is there some sort of garbage collection that I can be doing to eliminate this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought the 64gb because I knew I was going to run out, your iPad comes with 16gb of storage but the soft to run the iPad uses some of that 16 and then you have apps, emails, pictures, music, text messages and videos that can use the rest. It's not hard to full of 16gb. Check to see what's using the memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I have done the settings >general>usage>manage storage routine. That is how I know the numbers do not jive.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's actually storage space, not memory. Memory is RAM. Just check all you have. Cut back in areas. Delete messages and email. Especially if they have photos or videos. Store photos and videos in Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. Then delete from the camera roll. Delete cache from apps like Facebook they grow too big. Delete then reinstall to delete the cache. Music is a big space killer if you have too much.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2