Randomly going to home screen while I'm working on stuff and then what I was working on is lost ???

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My iPad Air for no reason will just stop what ever project I'm in the middle of working on and flash back to my home screen,,,,an email I'm composing, a FB posting, a forum posting, a iMovie editing project or what ever the project is,,,,,,,, I will be right in the middle of what I'm doing then "bang", back to my home screen for no reason !!!!

Of course I lose anything I've been in the middle of working on and have to start all over again from scratch,,,,, I called Apple and they had no answer for the issue except to bring it in for a diagnosis (I'm in warranty).

This is very frustrating to say the least and it's a random internment issue but it happens enough to be more than a minor glitch.

I was wondering if I was even going to be able to make it thru this post.

Anyone have any ideas on this problem and a fix ????

Thanks much in advance.

Cheers
Davyo

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Your apps are crashing. If you go for a diagnosis they're going to restore you to a clean install. So you might as well do that yourself to see if that solves your issue.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Your apps are crashing. If you go for a diagnosis they're going to restore you to a clean install. So you might as well do that yourself to see if that solves your issue.

Oddly I have almost no apps installed on my iPad,,, iMovie is about the only app,,,,,,,, I also don't have mobile apps installed as I would rather use the real desktop style views,,,,, things like FaceBook or forums I frequent I only have shortcuts to added on my home pages and not the mobile versions/ links or apps.

As an example,, if Im just on Safari or Google or MSN doing web searches my iPad will just revert back to my home page for no reason.

I always clear my history as well to make sure nothing is running in the background.

Cheers
Davyo

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Oddly I have almost no apps installed on my iPad,,, iMovie is about the only app,,,,,,,, I also don't have mobile apps installed as I would rather use the real desktop style views,,,,, things like FaceBook or forums I frequent I only have shortcuts to added on my home pages and not the mobile versions/ links or apps.

As an example,, if Im just on Safari or Google or MSN doing web searches my iPad will just revert back to my home page for no reason.

I always clear my history as well to make sure nothing is running in the background.

Cheers
Davyo
Well, Safari is what's crashing. I really would do a clean install of 7.1.1 again without restoring a backup. I'm almost positive it would resolve your issue.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yep. Do a clean install. If it still crashes swap it out. If it continues after that consider something better like a surface or Mac.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Do a clean install. If it still crashes swap it out. If it continues after that consider something better like a surface or Mac.

Not interested in getting a Surface or a Mac,,,,, my Samsung tablets work great as well as my Galaxy S5 phone,,,, I like using both Android and iOS.

I would have a iPhone but that tiny little 4" iPhone screen pushed me over to the Galaxy phones a while ago.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok,,,, an up-date to my original post,,,,,,,,, took my crashing iPad Air to the Apple store,,, they ran a full diagnostic and verified it's been crashing,,,, they then wiped my iPad and did a full restore from a Mac,,,,,, they said problem found and fixed.

Get home and start using my freshly wiped iPad,,,, I did not re-install any of my apps or files yet, which I have few of anyways,,, I mostly use my iPad just for web browsing,,,,, newly wiped iPad still keeps crashing !!!!

So I go back down to the Apple store again and they replace it, exchange it for a new iPad Air,,,,, I leave it just as new with no apps installed,,,,, now the new replaced iPad Air is doing the same crashing thing.

At this point I'm more than pissed,,,, I'm surprised I've gotten this far typing this post right now without a crash.

What to do now ??????

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited:

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have more to add but I will just add in sections so I don't lose an entire post.

So what's up with that Apple slogen 'It just works",,,,, my Android tablet is not crashing, my Note 3 and Galaxy S5 are not crashing but my iPad is crashing like crazy,,, the new replacement one they gave me is even crashing more than the one that I turned in for exchange,,,, it's crashed about 10 times in the last 6 to 8 hours !!!!!

I love the iPad far more than my Android tablet,,,,,,, the Apple OS and iMovie are two big reasons why I want to keep an iPad,,,, plus I plan on getting the iPhone 6,,,,,, but at this point I'm just lost on what to do.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had my iPad Air wiped, supposedly fixed only to get home and find it's not fixed,,,, now I've gotten a replacement iPad Air and it's crashing even more.

What to do ?
What can Apple do that they have not already done ?

Advice is really needed please !!!!

Thanks in advance.

And wow,,, I made it thru all these postings without a crash,,,,, Amazing !!!!

Shadowalker1310

May 20, 2014
Visit site
"Make sure this isn?t due to a lack of memory. Take a look in Settings > General > Usage and close down anything you don?t need running. Consider uninstalling anything you don?t want to use.
Get into the habit of frequently tapping the Home button twice and swiping up any applications you aren?t using in order to close them.
Try resetting your settings via Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings.
A specific app could be causing or exacerbating your problems. You could try uninstalling apps one by one and testing to see if the freezes or crashes lessen or stop. You could also backup and then factory reset the device and selectively reinstall. Back up first then go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings > Erase.
Some people have reported issues with Bluetooth keyboards and other Bluetooth accessories. It?s easy to test whether that?s your problem: simply stop using the accessory for a while and see if the freezing stops. If that is the problem then you should contact the manufacturer and ask about a fix.
If you do a factory reset and don?t restore from a backup and the crashing and freezing continues then take the iPad Air back to Apple and get a replacement.
The iOS 7.1 update is expected in March and is rumored to have a lot of bug fixes in it, including something to address the reboots and crashes. You can keep an eye out for it landing in Settings > General > Software Update."

This was in the digital trends website! Apparently it is a common issue. If it is however software related the above steps will work and just make sure u r running the lares ios firmware to be sure apple has not fixed the bug

-Shadowalker

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
"Make sure this isn’t due to a lack of memory. Take a look in Settings > General > Usage and close down anything you don’t need running. Consider uninstalling anything you don’t want to use.
Get into the habit of frequently tapping the Home button twice and swiping up any applications you aren’t using in order to close them.
Try resetting your settings via Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings.
A specific app could be causing or exacerbating your problems. You could try uninstalling apps one by one and testing to see if the freezes or crashes lessen or stop. You could also backup and then factory reset the device and selectively reinstall. Back up first then go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings > Erase.
Some people have reported issues with Bluetooth keyboards and other Bluetooth accessories. It’s easy to test whether that’s your problem: simply stop using the accessory for a while and see if the freezing stops. If that is the problem then you should contact the manufacturer and ask about a fix.
If you do a factory reset and don’t restore from a backup and the crashing and freezing continues then take the iPad Air back to Apple and get a replacement.
The iOS 7.1 update is expected in March and is rumored to have a lot of bug fixes in it, including something to address the reboots and crashes. You can keep an eye out for it landing in Settings > General > Software Update."

This was in the digital trends website! Apparently it is a common issue. If it is however software related the above steps will work and just make sure u r running the lares ios firmware to be sure apple has not fixed the bug

-Shadowalker

Thank you much for your feedback,,,, sadly everything you suggested I have done multiple times.

I've even had my wifi setup reset and checked,,, even though I didn't think that was the issue as none of my other wifi devices are having any problems at all.

Right now I have a clean like new iPad Air replacement, not set up from a restore with no apps installed and I'm still getting crashes.

My iPad 2 worked flawlessly,,,, wish I could say the the same for my new Air's !!!

I guess I'm going to to making my fourth visit to the Apple store again this week,,,, not a close drive either.

Cheers
Davyo

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That is really worrying, I am just about throwing my original Mini away due to the same reason, and was planning to go Air tomorrow but this post makes me feel so afraid getting a new one to end up with the same exact issue. My parents still have an iPad 2 and it's working flawlessly too. Please keep us updated so that I know what to do :/

My issue: I have the exact same crashing issue specially with Safari. All I want from my iPad is to record voice notes on Evernote, and browse Safar all at the same time, but it really seams impossible. I am sure why device is not faulty as I got two iPad Minis, both having the same exact issues. I thought the issue was the 512 MB RAM, but this post here is making me get worried that the limited RAM is not only the issue.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That is really worrying, I am just about throwing my original Mini away due to the same reason, and was planning to go Air tomorrow but this post makes me feel so afraid getting a new one to end up with the same exact issue. My parents still have an iPad 2 and it's working flawlessly too. Please keep us updated so that I know what to do :/

You try all you can try.
The first thing to do is to open the App Store and find the app. Check to see if there are any acknowledgements by the developers or complaints from users about a bug. If so, you will need to wait for the developer to release an updated version of the app. However, if there are no listed software bugs, then, try these 3 things to fix the crashing app on your iDevice running iOS
Close the app from the Multitasking Tray
The first thing I always do when an app is crashing on me is to close out of the app in the multitasking tray. This process quits the app in a way that releases it from the processing memory of the device so that when you open it up the next time it starts fresh. All you need to do to close the app from the multitasking tray is to double tap the home button to reveal multitasking mode. You will see the app icon underneath an app preview window (one in the center and 2 on either side). To close the app, all you need to do is swipe up on the preview window. The app will disappear from the multitasking tray and the app beside it will slide over into it?s place. Now the app has been closed and will open fresh the next time it is launched. Often times this solves a crashing app issue in iOS 7. However, if the app still crashes.
Close all apps and perform a hard reset of your iOS device
If your app continues to crash even after you have completed step 1, then you should close all of your apps and restart the device. Do all the steps in Step 1 but when you get to the step where you close the app swiping it up and off the screen, do this for all the apps. Often times you may have 5, 10, 20, or more apps that are in the Multitasking Tray. To speed up this process, you can swipe up on 3 apps at a time to close all 3 apps at once. Then, once you have quit all of the apps, do a hard reset on your iDevice. To do this, simply hold down the Home Button and the On/Off Button (on the top of the device) for about 15 seconds. Wait for the screen to go black and once the Apple Logo appears, then release the Home Button and the On/Off Button. Let your iOS device start up and try to open the crashing app again. I recommend closing all apps and performing a hard reset every couple of weeks on your device to help maintain the health and speed of the device. See this article for more on this: How to Hard Reset an iOS Device. If the app still crashes,
Delete the App and Reinstall it (be sure to backup the device in iTunes before deleting the app if you have files in the app that you need to keep)
The last step in this process is to delete the app and reinstall it. This will help remove any corrupt files. Caution: If you have files that are connected to the app you want to delete, be sure you have copies elsewhere or have a backup of your iDevice on iTunes or iCloud. Deleting the app will delete all the app?s data as well. Once you are sure you have a backup completed, tap and hold on the app you want to delete. The app will begin to wiggle and then you can tap on the black ?X? in the upper left corner of the app. Once you have deleted the app, find it in the App Store and reinstall it. If the app was a paid app, you will be able to download and install the app again for free.
One additional key component to this step in iOS 7 is to make sure that you delete the data that the app may store in iCloud as well. Not all apps use iCloud for storage but many do. If an app does use iCloud storage, you will need to delete this in addition to deleting the app itself. For example, I recently had an app that I installed that began to crash every time I opened it. I followed all of the above steps including deleting and reinstalling the app. It still crashed. Then, I realized that the app was syncing data to my other devices via iCloud. I had to delete the app, then delete the app?s data in iCloud, and then reinstall it. This time the app launched without a problem. To delete an app?s iCloud data, open up the Settings App and navigate to iCloud ?> Storage and Backup ?> Manage Storage. If you don?t see the app listed in the top 5 apps, tap on Show All. Find the App Data and tap on it. Tap Edit in the upper right corner and scroll down to the bottom and tap on Delete or Delete All. Close the Settings app and open the App Store to reinstall the app. Then, see if it fixed the crash problem for the app in iOS 7.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iOS 8 comes in September. That might fix it. That doesn't help now though. If you can, get another one. These gadgets are like anything else. Some just end up lemons.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well how fixed my problem was by selling my third Air replacement for a bit of a loss,,, and going back to Apple and buying "another" brand new NOT refurbished Air,,, and now almost no crashes at all,,,,, except on Face Book, but I think that's a FB issue.

My theory,,,, after the Air release Apple started seeing all the crashes, found a hardware problem, and fixed it with the newer Airs coming off the assembly line,,,, and Apple being Apple kept the problem and the fix on the hush hush so as not to have to admit there was a hardware problem in the first place,,,,,,,, something Apple has done before more than a few times, "antenna gate" was / is a prime example of Apple not wanting to own or admit to a hardware or OS screw up.

Apple just likes to promote their "It just works" BS slogan instead of owning any of their screw ups,,,,,,, and of course all the Apple sheep just keep chanting the "it just works" slogan.

I've had far less problems with my Android devices than my Apple devices,,,, but I still like Apple better,,, which really makes no sense to me, but it is what it is.

I'm sure a NEW recently made Air is safe to buy now days,,,, but not a refurbished one or an older manufactured Air..

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods