Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #26  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Default Re: Randomly going to home screen while I'm working on stuff and then what I was working on is lost

If you have a PC just plug the USB into your PC from your Air and save all your photos on your PC,,, it real fast and easy.

I do that EVERYTIME I have to exchange all my countless iPads in search of one that will actualy work and not freeze on me,,,, I'm getting ready to do I think exchange number 8 now this week but I've kinda lost track at this point.

Wow,,,,, I just was able to make it thru this entire post without my IPad freezing up,,,, I better hit reply RIGHT NOW before I freeze up.

Cheers
    Dacto
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Randomly going to home screen while I'm working on stuff and then what I was working on is lost

I have had my iPad 1 for 3 years. It just started crashing about 6 months ago. It is getting worse every week. (actually, it crashed the first time I tried to reply) I just bought iPad air 2 . After reading all of these posts, I am wondering if I should return it and buy a tablet!
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #28  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Well I know what I think I'm going to do to fix ALL my iPad problems,,,,,, I'll go do exchange number 8 today (I think it's number 8, Ive done so many echanges now it's just a blur) and I will "also" go get me a Samsung Tab S 10.5 to do most my heavy lifting (long involved emails, forum post and other task's that I can't afford to have crash on me).

I'll keep the iPad mainly for iMovie (I love and use iMovie a lot) and there is no Andriod/Google/Samsung movie editor that even comes close to iMovie.

I left iPhone a few years ago because of ONE reason,,,, that tiny little 4" screen.

My plans were to go with the 6 Plus iPhone or even just the 6, and jump back into the Apple Ecosystem that I do love, with a new bigger than 4" screen tiny screened phone, get another iPad mini and also have an Air,,,, but these countless problems with the "It Just Works" products have changed my mind.

I think now I with stick with my Note 4, get the new Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and keep an iPad around just for iMovie and light web browsing.

Bummer to,,, as I really was digging the iPhone Plus a lot,,,,it's a bit thinner and not as wide to hold as my Note 4, but not by much.

Ya really screwed up Apple by sticking with the one size phone fits all mentality for so long,,, had it not been for you sticking to that postage stamp size screen for so long I probaly would have not ever started playing with the Android phones and started realizing and finding out the all the pros Andoid has to offer.

Cheers
    Davyo
    Last edited by Davyo; 12-13-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    gldlmelton likes this.
    iMore Nanite

You said you left IPhone few years ago, but you also said you own every model in existence ... some which came out only months ago. You also said all your IPhones work very good, doesn't that also make them just as justifiable with the just work slogan you accounted for the Note 4? And you also said all your iPhones work, so why hesitant to go with the iPhone 6 Plus?
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #30  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialBunny View Post
    You said you left IPhone few years ago, but you also said you own every model in existence ... some which came out only months ago. You also said all your IPhones work very good, doesn't that also make them just as justifiable with the just work slogan you accounted for the Note 4? And you also said all your iPhones work, so why hesitant to go with the iPhone 6 Plus?
    Yes,,,, I have owned every model iPhone ever made (except the C).

And yes,,,, all my iPhone's have worked perfectly,,,,,,, but I also use Andoid devices as well,,, I'm not married to just one OS.

On a side note (pun intended) 2 days ago I purchased the iPhone 6 Plus and spent those 2 days comparing my Note 4 to the 6 Plus, my verdict,,, no contest at all !!!!

My Note 4 felt better in the hand, took way way way better looking pictures and video and the Note 4 also records in stereo as well while ALL iPhones and iPads only record in mono... It makes a huge difference,,,,,, and be it stereo or mono, the Note 4's overall sound quality is also much better than the recorded audio from ANY iPhone or iPad,,,,, even most of the Android tablets record video in stereo as well.

Anyhow,,, I have very long list of how much my Note 4 beat out the 6 Plus I purchased,,,,, needless to say I returned the iPhone 6 Plus and gladly paid the restocking fee.

With tablets that's a weird one,,, as I like iPads much more than Android tablets even though my iPads are the Apple products that give me problems while my Android tablets do "just work" with no issues at all.

If it were not for iMovie (which I use All the time) and all the great iPad optimized apps I would probably drop Apple completly and be 100% Android,,,,,,, sadly Android does not make a single video editing app that even comes close to iMovie and many of the Android apps are not optimized for Android tablets,,,, Google/Android apps work great on Android phones, like my Note 4 but are not as optimized for tablets like most iOS apps are.

Anyhow,,,, I Totally Love my Note 4 and my new 128gb iPad Air 2 (when it does work),,,, so that's were I'm at now.

But I will be re-purchasing a Galaxy Tab S 10.5,,,, that 2K AMOLED screen on the Tab S is simply amazing and totally destroys the retina display of ANY iPad.

Cheers
    Davyo
    Last edited by Davyo; 01-02-2015 at 12:41 AM.
    iMore Nanite

My iPad mini have the same problem, I'm going to the genius bar tmr. Do u have any better advice I should tell them? I just dun wanna end up listen to them saying, turn it off, install uninstall, bla bla bla........ That was the response I got from the live chat apple people!
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I've been using an IPad four years (original release) and have dealt with the same problem over that time period. Apple won't acknowledge any specific issue but something tells me they know much more than they're telling. I've attempted every type of fix that's been suggested -- to no avail. From my experience in the early consumer computer industry (since 1981) I'm leaning toward some type of memory buffering or memory management problem. Running a YouTube video from within a website is a sure way to get kicked back to the Home Screen. Run that same video directly on YouTube and no issues.

Same from the Facebook app. Clicking on a posted video will also trigger an "IRTHS" (Involuntary Return To Home Screen).

These are not the only circumstances, but they are reliably duplicated.

Seems like any time the RAM (remember that term?) is repeatedly accessed it sets off an IRTHS.

Sad that this is now a legacy problem for the IPad because I really enjoy using it, and it has definitively stopped me from upgrading.

Never one such incident on the same WiFi system with an Android device, PC, Mac, Apple TV device or even an IPhone (have at least one of each).

My new 5.5 inch LG G3 is becoming my go-to device, although the larger IPad screen is preferable in many instances.
    iMore Nanite

I have the same issue. So bizarre and annoying. How is this not a bigger concern. It must happen a lot and many like me just didn't bother to report it. Grrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Bliss View Post
    I have the same issue. So bizarre and annoying. How is this not a bigger concern. It must happen a lot and many like me just didn't bother to report it. Grrrrrr.
    Go ahead and send some feedback!
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    iMore Nanite

Mine does the exact same thing! I was just doing a search online to try and figure it out. Did you manage to figure it out? Mine has done this since I got it.
    iMore Nanite

Ok so after reading a lot and 3 crashes... Lol !I finally found a different site that told me to turn off my location services... It seems to have worked!!!!! I have been surfing for 30 minutes now without a crash... [HL]Go to settings, then privacy,then turn off location services switch[/HL].... Hope this works for yall!
    iMore Nanite

I am a hopeless 55 yr old, who is having the same problem, only just started after several months use, actually 12 months and I have just bought wifey ipad air2. I don't understand any of the computer gobbledygook gook like bios or the like, just need to know what to do to fix it. I have apps showing on the iPad, never use them don't know what they do or care for them anyway so they can be removed but how?
    Help would be greatly appreciated as my laptop hard drive has just decided to pack up well that's what the guy in the shop tells me and he can put in a new one for a hundred pounds...
    iMore Nanite

I have a iPhone 6+, & it's doing the exact same thing every time I turn around! Tried everything!! (Phone not a month old!!) VERY AGGRAVATING!!!

Would a restore as new help?
    iMore Nanite

My iPad is up to date and I have the same problem. I do not believe this is an isolated problem.
    iMore Nanite

I landed here today because I had this problem a few weeks ago but still wanted see if there was a specific fix. In my home we have Apple TV, 2 x ipad2, 2 x iPhone 6, iPhone 3GS, and a pair of ibm laptops. I noticed my one of the iPad 2 started crashing during games and safari so I started troubleshooting. What I found interesting was that if I was streaming content like movies or music, podcasts, video clips, the device didn't crash of buffer... However, I noticed all the crashing was associated with any action that send and received data over the network simultaneously. So I started looking at my network. In the end I upgraded my wireless router and crashing reduced significantly. I use my iPad 2 and iPhone 6 all the time so they get a lot of work. My iPad 2 crashes were 2 or 3 times per hour in a single continuous session and dropped to maybe 1 or 2 times per 12 - 15 hour work day. I'm not sure what it is but some of the older wireless routers don't seem to work too nicely with Apple devices. On that same old Router I had, we had to restart it at times because the some devices would see the Apple TV for AirPlay and others won't. They were not seeing each other on the same wifi network. With iCloud, iCloud Drive, music sharing and so on now our networks have to handle a lot more uploaded data than in previous generations. Where the focus was almost exclusively on download speed and stability we now have to consider upload. So with all the syncing taking place it is well worth looking at if the devices become unstable when downloading only as in streaming or mostly when engaged in intense 2 way data transfer activities. I'm not saying it will work for others or there isn't a device problem but it's something to look at. Apple being Apple, their devices might demand specific things of older networking devices in terms of throughput or security that these routers just can't deal with.
    iMore Nanite

Hi Davyo,
    what's new with your iPad now? I have an iPadmini which I bought in December 2014 and a week before the one year warranty expired I came to the store because I had a problem with the screen which they then decided not being able to repair it and I was given a "new" one which I am sure it was a "refurbished" one. Since then I never had a problem until 2 weeks ago doing what yours was doing. I am right now downloading IOS 10 and hopefully it will clear up the problem. Other than that I never came across any problem. It actually belongs to my now 11 years old son which he uses MOSTLY on video games and watching youtube. I don't install facebook nor any other social network media nor using any email/writing.
    I never used iMovie. We only watch videos/films on youtube. I'll check it out then since you CAN NOT live without it!
    Crossing my fingers that the IOS 10 will remedy the problem.

Jacqueline
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #43  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JIssenmann View Post
    Hi Davyo,
    what's new with your iPad now? I have an iPadmini which I bought in December 2014 and a week before the one year warranty expired I came to the store because I had a problem with the screen which they then decided not being able to repair it and I was given a "new" one which I am sure it was a "refurbished" one. Since then I never had a problem until 2 weeks ago doing what yours was doing. I am right now downloading IOS 10 and hopefully it will clear up the problem. Other than that I never came across any problem. It actually belongs to my now 11 years old son which he uses MOSTLY on video games and watching youtube. I don't install facebook nor any other social network media nor using any email/writing.
    I never used iMovie. We only watch videos/films on youtube. I'll check it out then since you CAN NOT live without it!
    Crossing my fingers that the IOS 10 will remedy the problem.

Jacqueline
    What happened with that iPad is Apple totally screwed me over, they exchanged my faulty NEW iPad Air 2 three times with faulty used refurbished iPads.
    When I received the 3rd refurbished iPad Air 2 it was was failing just like the other 2 refurbished iPads and my Brand New Air 2.
    I ended up selling my 3rd refurbished Air 2 for a big loss in money and had to start all over again buying ANOTHER brand new Air 2.
    I still have my second Air 2 and it works flawlessly, but it took me 5 Air 2's to get there, one brand new one and 3 refurbished ones,,, all failing !!!!!!, and then having to go buy another brand new one because all the used refurbished ones Apple gave me didn't work,,,, what's Apples slogan (it just works),,, nice slogan Apple.
    When the 13" iPad Pro came out I bought one as well and it's worked perfectly from day one to right now as I'm typing this post on it.

Cheers
    Davyo
    iMore Nanite

Well I have a jailbroken iPad so I cannot update it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12