I want to replace my netbook with an iPad to be used mainly for travel.

lindatork

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I am getting ready to purchase my first iPad. I want to use it to replace my netbook mainly for travel. The plan is to use my wireless keyboard and therefore be able to create documents using Pages and simple spreadsheets using Numbers (which I am new at - Excel/Word user). I also want to use it to blog on my travels. Using a screen keyboard will not work for me for large amounts of typing. On the flip side, I want to be able to use it as a "tablet" and surf the internet, get emails, photo, apps, etc. How doable is my idea and would you recommend iPad Air or iPad mini? Thank you so much!

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It seems that what you're wanting to do will work fantasticlly, you just need to find a bluetooth keyboard you'll like. I love using the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iPad since its full size and comes with its own stowage case that doubles a tablet stand. It works beautifully with both android and iPads and is low cost ($50).

As far as what iPad to get. I'd say check into a Retina Mini first and if that doesn't seem as big as you'd like move up to an Air. The Retina Mini is really a sweet spot between big screen and ultra-portability, IMO.

via one of the t@blets

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to be on the go more often (i.e on a train or other forms of transit) you should get an rMini. It is easier to handle outside and in transition than an iPad air is. Some people can handle it one handedly. With a bluetooth keyboard you should be fine but I suck with them. Honestly though it just depends if you'd like a bigger screen when blogging, emailing and what not. For me I ultimately chose the Air over the rMini as the screen size is best for me. Also the speaker quality of the Air is a lot better than the rMini and some people have issues with the minis screen in comparison to the air (you probably won't notice unless you have them side by side).

Anyway good luck!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
For your usage, I'd go with the Air because the keyboard cases available are larger and there's more screen to work with

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I use an Air for exactly this. Versacover and an apple bluetooth keyboard (from my OG iPad) complete the setup. Since MS has released Office for iPad there's not even a software issue anymore and both Word and Excel work wonderfully on the Air. The BEST part about traveling with an Air only? TSA doesn't consider it a laptop. So you can just throw your bag on the belt through the x-ray scanner, ignore the rent-a-cop asking if you've removed your laptop and get through the security area with one less headache. :yes: Super lightweight and fits easily on a tray table, both up front and in cattle class. I'm averaging around 11 hours of use so the only thing that gets charged on some trips is my phone :cool:

hooplvr

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
This is very doable and in my case preferred. I travel quite a bit for work (2 to 3 days per week during most of the year). I mostly travelled with a laptop, not a net book, so my scenario is a bit different, but I got tired of lugging my laptop with me so I purchased a keyboard case for my ipad and I haven't travelled with my laptop since. I'm currently using the Belkin QODE keyboard case for the iPad Air. It's working really well for me. I like that I can used the ipad as a tablet or with the keyboard without removing it from the case. I say go for it!

Sent from my White/Silver iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This is very doable and in my case preferred. I travel quite a bit for work (2 to 3 days per week during most of the year). I mostly travelled with a laptop, not a net book, so my scenario is a bit different, but I got tired of lugging my laptop with me so I purchased a keyboard case for my ipad and I haven't travelled with my laptop since. I'm currently using the Belkin QODE keyboard case for the iPad Air. It's working really well for me. I like that I can used the ipad as a tablet or with the keyboard without removing it from the case. I say go for it!

Sent from my White/Silver iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

I love using my iPad Air instead of a laptop. I tried the Belkin Qode bluetooth keyboard case and it was great with the exception of the keyboard layout. Everything else was cool though. I just bought an Anker bluetooth keyboard that has a magnetic clip and it has been perfect.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My first tablet was a 2012 Nexus 7 and I used to use it as a laptop replacement (it was actually my ~only~ computer for awhile). I eventually moved on to a cheap 11.6'' chromebook because the screen was just to small. The iPad Mini Retina has a beautiful screen but it is just to small for me to want to sit at. You'll want the extra space from a larger keyboard as well, which means either going the next size up or bringing a bigger keyboard with you.

AFA Office Work on iOS goes. If you are single-tasking it works pretty good. I'd rather do extended projects on my laptop or desktop where I can pop open multiple windows and have research, etc. on the display with my project. If you're just drafting or have supplemental material on another device/dead trees it works great. Juggling between office work and a web browser, email, etc. is really annoying though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods