Is an iPad Air enough to opt for as opposed to a buying Mac?

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I think we'll eventually get to a time where tablets replace PCs as well as notebooks.. But as of now tablets are just to cover the basic needs of computing and do it substantially.. but for more advanced computing, more power, and capability PCs and notebooks will always be needed and tablets just won't fit that category as of now. Is the iPad Air alone enough for your computing tasks?

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have an Air LTE and an rMini LTE. On them, I can and prefer to do all of my media consumption and light tasks like participating here. For any content creation or productivity I'd prefer the power and flexibility of a computer.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To answer your question, I'd say no. Still, that depends on your specific computing needs. Also, at least in my regard, there are some things I simply prefer to do on a computer.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you need intensive use of more keyboard-mouse centric work, obviously an iPad Air isn't going to cut it.

To be honest, I have always regarded iPads as media consumption devices and not work machines. If you can work with a Bluetooth keyboard on an iPad alone and that suffices for you go for it. I have to echo the rest, it really does depend on your work processes.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I would agree with the post above. It depends on your computing needs. For me, the iPad Air with a bluetooth keyboard completely replaces the need for a laptop. I have a laptop at work, but I never use it. I would rather use apps than the software programs on a computer. I like the portability and versatility of my iPad Air over a laptop. I like using cloud storage. And frankly, my iPad seems faster than any laptop that I have used. If you have needs comparable to mine, a laptop is not needed or wanted. The iPad is perfect.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've owned a Macbook Air for 2 days now and I still don't feel that my iPad (regardless of size) could replace my computing needs, as JustMe'D pointed out. I've already done a few things with some minor content creation that I just couldn't grasp to doing on my iPad.

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion iPads are no substitutes for actual computers. If given the choice I would pick a laptop over the iPad every time.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s 

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have to write an analysis on a different book every weekend and I can never write it on my air. Typing is a huge part of using a regular computer and I don't think iPads are there yet.

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have to write an analysis on a different book every weekend and I can never write it on my air. Typing is a huge part of using a regular computer and I don't think iPads are there yet.

I actually find typing with the on screen keyboard a lot easier than a physical keyboard, but that's just me.. Plus there are Bluetooth keyboards and keyboard cases specifically for the iPad Air so I find that the iPad Air missing a keyboard is an insignificant reason to opt for a PC.. Not meant to provoke..

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
ofcourse not i don't think so , iPad can replace mac position :) in using iPad is like tablet feel not like Laptop even with physical keyboard avail with it.
i don't feel comfortable working on ipad like mac can do typing processing surfing . i m not say iPad is slowest and not working against to mac, but in case of any urgency working meeting or replying iPad 100% work really very well

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I actually find typing with the on screen keyboard a lot easier than a physical keyboard, but that's just me.. Plus there are Bluetooth keyboards and keyboard cases specifically for the iPad Air so I find that the iPad Air missing a keyboard is an insignificant reason to opt for a PC.. Not meant to provoke..

With a keyboard and some of the Office apps an Air can certainly do some word processing. I also love to use the air to remote control my desktop, in which I can do anything I'd need.

{iRiidium} Sent from my liberated Titanium 5S 32

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I've owned a Macbook Air for 2 days now and I still don't feel that my iPad (regardless of size) could replace my computing needs, as JustMe'D pointed out. I've already done a few things with some minor content creation that I just couldn't grasp to doing on my iPad.

Your usage can be respected. However, everyone may not have the same needs as you and using an iPad exclusively may be sufficient. An iPad or Chromebook for me is more than enough to meet all of my leisure and productivity needs, because everything I do is web-based.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Your usage can be respected. However, everyone may not have the same needs as you and using an iPad exclusively may be sufficient. An iPad or Chromebook for me is more than enough to meet all of my leisure and productivity needs, because everything I do is web-based.

Agreed, I recently bought a Chromebook and I love it.
What I also like about the Chromebook. It runs smoother and faster than my Windows 8 PC.
I also agree that whether it be a Chromebook or Tablet.
They're not quite there yet as a replacement to a PC.
But it all depends upon your need and usage.
My Stepdad had a laptop that needed to be replaced.
He bought an iPad air, it's perfect for him because he doesn't need or use all the programs that PCs have.
My Chromebook has USB ports, so I can connect an external drive as a secondary back up to all my files in Google Drive.
Which by the way, I got 100GBs free for two years.
I'll probably not use it, but it's nice to have. 😊

Last edited:

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Almost, but not quite for some of my use cases. I prefer using iPhoto on my MBP over iOS's version of iPhoto. As well, I find my accounting spreadsheets hard to use on my iPad Air, I need the larger screen and the keyboard to do those.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if it's just my keyboard but I bought a bt keyboard which autocorrect isn't working that well. Anyway I guess it's preference but I still can't write essays on a bluetooth keyboard for hours. Maybe it's just my hands and IMO the MacBook pros keyboard is heaven. I guess if It was my only option it could work.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the user. I would still have to say absolutely not. Full OSX versus iOS for tablets is night and day. iOS can do some neat tricks but OSX is an absolute workhorse.

ಠ益ಠ

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711