Scratches on iPad

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi, has anyone found that the iPad cover can scratch the iPad where the magnetic strip touches the side? On mine there seems to have been some type of very small metal flakes that got magnetically stuck on the inside of the strip so that when it touches the side of the iPad and slides a bit it scratches. Seems like this could be common if the cover is ever lying around and picks up some debris that could be just lying around. Do you think I would have any luck trying to get apple to replace the cover and even possibly the iPad?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi, has anyone found that the iPad cover can scratch the iPad where the magnetic strip touches the side? On mine there seems to have been some type of very small metal flakes that got magnetically stuck on the inside of the strip so that when it touches the side of the iPad and slides a bit it scratches. Seems like this could be common if the cover is ever lying around and picks up some debris that could be just lying around. Do you think I would have any luck trying to get apple to replace the cover and even possibly the iPad?

Never experienced that on my Smart Cover for my iPad 4. I can see how that could possibly happen though.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Which ipad do you have? The older ipad smart covers that were metal could scratch the ipad itself, not sure if apple would replace though.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
The one that goes on the air. There is only one model right?

He's talking about the OLDER generation iPad (iPad 2, 3 4). With the Air, the side is covered with soft material with magnets underneath. The previous generation had the all metal exposed.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The one that goes on the air. There is only one model right?

The Air Smart Cover has the suede underneath that should prevent it from scratching. Not like the old model iPads that had the metal hinges. You got pics of these scratches?

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The Air Smart Cover has the suede underneath that should prevent it from scratching. Not like the old model iPads that had the metal hinges. You got pics of these scratches?

Here is a photo, but kind of tough to make out. The problem was not the suede material, it was the fact that metal flakes stuck to the inside. ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1389481376.837009.jpg

Mikaella11

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh my! That's a lot of scratches :( That hasn't happened to me and I'll definitely be pissed if it did. Not sure if Apple will replace your iPad. Good luck!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't the suede cover, it was metal flakes that got magnetically stuck to the magnetic strip where it touches the side.

Cant blame Apple if you used a 3rd party cover. A Apple made cover for the Air wouldn't have done that.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Was it a 3rd party cover?

Definitely not, authentic apple. Think about it. It is magnetic. If something metal that can be magnetically attracted to it comes into contact it is going to stick. And will scratch. Do you guys think I should bring it in and try?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Definitely not, authentic apple. Think about it. It is magnetic. If something metal that can be magnetically attracted to it comes into contact it is going to stick. And will scratch. Do you guys think I should bring it in and try?

Try what? To replace the iPad? I don't think Apple is going to do anything about that.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Smart Cover for iPad Air doesn't have a metal hinge so your confusing me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner