For those with a white ipad air...or any white ipad...

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
As my delivery date for my ipad air approaches, I am starting to really doubt my color choice.
I ordered the space gray, but I am really contemplating if I should have gone with the white instead.
I stopped by my local best buy today and was drawn to the white one instantly.
However the only thing I don?t like...well hate, is the little black border around the screen.
For some reason I seem to really focus in on it and can't seem to ignore it.
The rest of the device is just stunning in the white. I have never had a white device and this would be a nice change.

So my question is, does that black border bother you? Do you end up getting used to it?

TIA

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I own the White iPad Air and I don't know what Black border you are speaking of here, I would say it doesn't bother me as I don't notice one. I watch videos all the time on my White Air with no issues at all. This is my second White iPad besides the Mini and I love the White one. If anything, the constant fingerprint smudges on my old Black iPads bothered me more.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Have the white iPad and iPhone, hasn't bothered me at all. Don't even notice it

Last edited:

DC506

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
White iPad here and to be honest I didn't notice the black around the screen until you pointed it out...jk...lol

Once you focus on the app(s) you are using, you will not notice the black anymore.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a white iPad mini. When I was buying it I went to the store and looked at both colours and he white just stood out more. It was stunning. I don't notice the border when I'm watching videos. I am biased towards white devices though, I have a white samsung galaxy s4, white iPod touch and a white samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1.

Scallops

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I prefer white iPads and black iPhones.....the black iPhone gives a feeling of a bigger screen, the white iPad just looks better to me. I too hadn't even noticed the black border you mention, and turning my display on to look, although I see it now, I still don't notice it!

You should be happy with your choice, so just swap it out if you decide that white is right. :yes:

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I love my white iPad Air and although I can see the black border you speak of, it doesn't bother me one bit.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a white iPhone 5s and had a white iPad 2.

Never noticed that black border before, but now I'm seeing it when I look at my phone. Thanks! :p

But yeah, I don't think it's a big deal for anyone, once they get used to their iPad...

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I asked my husband the same thing...and he said he's never noticed it before, and now he can't NOT notice it ...sorry!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't bother me when I had a white iPad and iPhone. Now I have the space grey iPhone and iPad Air. Either color choice is cool. I went with the space grey iPhone this time because I wanted the black leather Apple case to go with it and thought it looked better with the space grey. Same with the iPad Air. I wanted the black Smart Cover and thought it looked better with the space grey.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As my delivery date for my ipad air approaches, I am starting to really doubt my color choice.
I ordered the space gray, but I am really contemplating if I should have gone with the white instead.
I stopped by my local best buy today and was drawn to the white one instantly.
However the only thing I don’t like...well hate, is the little black border around the screen.
For some reason I seem to really focus in on it and can't seem to ignore it.
The rest of the device is just stunning in the white. I have never had a white device and this would be a nice change.

So my question is, does that black border bother you? Do you end up getting used to it?

TIA
I have a white iPad Mini, and the black border doesn't bother me one bit.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I asked my husband the same thing...and he said he's never noticed it before, and now he can't NOT notice it ...sorry!

That is odd. I still don't notice it even after viewing the picture that you posted. Sounds like you already have your mind made up with the Black one, which is also a good choice. I'll take the non noticeable Black border VS the smudges on the Black model any day, though.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I'll never buy another white iPad, laying in bed and watching a movie is great on the darker colored ones. On the white ones, I find it too much of a distraction and it just stands out too much. If you notice the border now on the white, you likely made a good choice in the space gray because it gets worse over use in how often you notice it and start to hate it. That said though, it doesn't bother most people unless it's specifically pointed out to them.

Last edited:

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I've owned white iPads and can say that that little black border hasn't seemed to be an issue for me. Although I was drawn to the space gray 5s, I don't feel the same pull with the space gray Air or Mini. I find that the white iPad gives the illusion of a brighter screen. That comes in handy when surfing the web browser or reading any text against a white background. But if a seamless viewing experience is what you're after, you'd likely prefer the space gray.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a black mini and when I ordered the mini retina (since returned) I ordered the white. When watching a movie on the white one I really noticed the letter boxing so much more. With my black mini it just blends in with the border and disappears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD