Safari crashing on my iPad Air.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Annoyed with the periodic crash problem while using Safari and not always being able to restore my last session after opening Safari up again after a crash, I decided to test out other Browsers until a update came out that actually did resolve the problem. However, browsers like; SkyFire and Atomic Web were not as fast as Safari and didn't offer the same experience that I was used to with Safari. After reading many reviews on the Chrome Browser for iOS and reading that it wasn't crashing like Safari I decided to give it a try. Less than 24 hours after using it I had my first Crash which also did not restore the session that I was in. The cause of the Crash was listed as "low memory" in the diagnostic menu, which is the same reason as the Safari crashes that I had.... I have been patiently waiting for a iOS update to fix these crash issues because I really Love my iPad Air. But I decided that if an update does not come out that resolves this and I am still having browser crash issues, I will be returning my iPad Air to Apple before the Jan. 7th return period is up. Even though the crashes don't happen all the time, it really does ruin the browsing experience for me which is something that I use my Air for 95% of the time. Anyhow, I'm back to using Safari and hoping an update arrives before Jan. 7th. :(

adamgbiggs

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm still waiting for my Air, but I'm hoping that iOS 7.1 will sort it once it's released, I'm sure apple can fix this.

Apart from the browser crashing, are you enjoying your Air?

Adam.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting for my Air, but I'm hoping that iOS 7.1 will sort it once it's released, I'm sure apple can fix this.

Apart from the browser crashing, are you enjoying your Air?

Adam.
Hi Adam, welcome to iMore. :)

Yes, aside from the browser crashing issue, I absolutely love my iPad Air. The screen quality is awesome and the speed on it is faster than lightning, lol. Also, I am finding that the Air is just as portable as my old Mini due to how thin and light It is thanks to Apples redesign. I too am hoping that iOS 7 will resolve the crash issue. I know there are many who believe this is due to the Air having only 1GB of Ram, but I don't believe that as my iPhone 5S having the same 1GB of Ram does not crash at all.

adamgbiggs

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Adam, welcome to iMore. :)

Yes, aside from the browser crashing issue, I absolutely love my iPad Air. The screen quality is awesome and the speed on it is faster than lightning, lol. Also, I am finding that the Air is just as portable as my old Mini due to how thin and light It is thanks to Apples redesign. I too am hoping that iOS 7 will resolve the crash issue. I know there are many who believe this is due to the Air having only 1GB of Ram, but I don't believe that as my iPhone 5S having the same 1GB of Ram does not crash at all.

Thanks, yes I love the redesign, I was originally waiting for the retina mini, but the redesign of the 10" pad made me want that one instead, it will be my first iPad so really looking forward to it, glad your loving it in every other way.

Have you set yours up from a backup or setup as new? Also I wonder if a reinstall will help the crashing issue?

Adam.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you set yours up from a backup or setup as new? Also I wonder if a reinstall will help the crashing issue?

Adam.

Yes, I have already done all the recommended fixes to try and resolve the crash issue. Unfortunately none of them fixed it and I continue to have these periodic crashes. Thankfully, though, because I love everything else about my Air, I am will to wait a few more weeks for a potential iOS update to arrive that will fix this problem.

Sent from my iPad Air.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
It's really annoying. I've been through 4 airs they still do the same thing. And yup chrome did the same thing and crashed frequently too. My friend called me yesterday and asked if he should get an air and I told him yes but decided not to tell him about this with the hopes that it doesn't happen to him. I too will return if this keeps up but I really do love my ipad and this is not what I expected from Apple.

anon(8221395)

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It's really annoying. I've been through 4 airs they still do the same thing. And yup chrome did the same thing and crashed frequently too. My friend called me yesterday and asked if he should get an air and I told him yes but decided not to tell him about this with the hopes that it doesn't happen to him. I too will return if this keeps up but I really do love my ipad and this is not what I expected from Apple.

I would tell your friend. He called you to ask for your advice. If you returned it four times because of an issue that is the kind of insight he is looking for from you. After you tell him he can make his own decision. He knows he has the opportunity to return it if he has a similar issue and I'm sure he'd tell you if he did too.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Safari is still crashing periodically on my iPad Air, but now it allows me to go back to where I was if I open it through the Multitasking menu. Hopefully iOS 7.1 will arrive soon and fix this as I really love my iPad Air and don't really want to return it.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I too am still getting the occasional Safari crash, but it has always restarted with the last page open for me. I really hope, since the update is taking a while to come, that it really fixes a bunch of issues including this one.

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second Air. Strangely enough, when I stopped using my Belkin Bluetooth keyboard case, the Safari crashes and random reboots went away. Runs perfect now, in a Speck Stylefolio case. With Bluetooth off.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Safari is still crashing periodically on my iPad Air, but now it allows me to go back to where I was if I open it through the Multitasking menu. Hopefully iOS 7.1 will arrive soon and fix this as I really love my iPad Air and don't really want to return it.

Maybe try asking anyone on 7.1 beta if it crashes still ?
Mine crashes also .. So your not alone

tab87000

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Same boat. Frustrating crashes but LOVE MY AIR!! Come on Apple, let's get that update out!! I don't want to take it back either. No issues with my son's mini retina to my knowledge.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I literally just got my air an hour ago so I can't comment yet. But, I was having crashes with safari on my ipad 3 and my wife's ipad 4 since ios7 came out.

stjames70

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The problem rests on iCloud synching Safari data with it. Go to settings, under iCloud tab find Safari and turn off iCloud sync. You will no longer have issues. Unfortunately, you will not be able to share favorites, bookmarks, or recently visited places with your other Apple devices. This issue occurred and was resolved the same way on an iPad 2, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and an iPad Air. So it's not a hardware issue, but some programming, network issue with iCloud and iOS devices. My iMac,macro, and laptops do not have this problem under OSX's latest iteration. The update will come soon enough -- just hold on to your horses.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem seems bigger than that. I never use cloud sync for Safari data (I do back up to iCloud, completely different). I have multiple crashes per session - always quick and easy to get back, but increasingly annoying. Riding it out until 7.1 update, with fingers crossed...

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
As another datapoint, I've been temporarily using an original iPad. Even on iOS 5.1.1, several crashes a day for Safari is not uncommon. I had the same problem on iOS 7.0.4 and an iPad 3.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods