Screen feels "Plasticky"

StevenJ_AK

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice this?

Tapping my fingernails on the screen of my new iPad air sounds very plasticky and almost feels as if there is a slight flex to the screen.

Where as my iPad 4 and wives iPad mini feel glass, sound like it too! Much different sounds and feels.

Nothing big, just an observation.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Re: Screen feels "Plsticky"

Anyone else notice this?

Tapping my fingernails on the screen of my new iPad air sounds very plasticky and almost feels as if there is a slight flex to the screen.

Where as my iPad 4 and wives iPad mini feel glass, sound like it too! Much different sounds and feels.

Nothing big, just an observation.

I read at either Gizmodo or Engadget that they felt the same way, that the screen felt more like it was "squeezable" and easier to apply pressure and see a screen effect. Maybe due to the slimness?

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen feels "Plsticky"

The screen feels pretty sturdy to me I don't feel ant flex at all. It might be the thinness of the device giving you that feeling.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
It's a thinner glass than previous generations. Less protection, but more light weight and better touch response.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

iamdjpaul

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about that this morning. I think it is more the way it sounds when tapping the keys . I does have a more plastic feel. But it does not have a negative impression of the device. I am sure once I get used to it I will not even notice it.

rhcp011235

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about that this morning. I think it is more the way it sounds when tapping the keys . I does have a more plastic feel. But it does not have a negative impression of the device. I am sure once I get used to it I will not even notice it.

For me when spending over $700 dollars on a device. It's not a matter of "getting used to" , I need to find out if its truly plastic or glass. I do glass for a semi living at http://www.temperedarmor.com for devices and I've seen glass like it. Its called Polly, its a THIN layer of glass with plastic layer on top/back

skesler89

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I noticed immediately the way the screen felt when I touched it was different than my iPad 3. I think Kritter271's description describes what I felt: "bouncy." However, I had an iPad Mini for awhile and its screen felt exactly the same way. So, I would suggest that this difference in screen "feel" may be due to the way the screen is built and installed in the new "thin" devices. There is no way Apple would field a product with a cheap screen. I am already getting used to the screen's feel, so I think this is most likely a "non-issue."

Bigchris

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from the iPad 2, and I do notice that the screen feels different, not so much plasticky though, just stronger maybe :confused:, lol. I'm not sure, what you call it..

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I tap my fingernail on my iPad 3 and my iPhone 5 and they both sound like plastic to me. From what I remember since the iPhone 3G, they have always been like that. Had iPads since iPad 1.

From demoing the iPad Air yesterday, I didn't get a bouncy feel. But here's why it may have felt bouncy: The Secrets behind the new iPad Air Retina Display Revealed - Patently Apple

To me, my iPhone 5 feels like thick glass (feels cool to the touch). The iPad Air feels like thin plastic (feels neutral to the touch). I guess we'll find out when people shatter their iPad Air screens. :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am not noticing any difference between the iPad 4 that I had or my new Air that I got today. The screen feels very solid to me.

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I do see where you're coming from on this subject, it doesn't seem to be quiet as "strong" feeling as my iPad 3. Then again Apple did thin the glass down quite a bit to get the Air as thin and light as it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods