Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    3,436 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default First impressions

Been using my new air all day and realty loving it. It's so light. Similar weight to the mini but a larger screen. What does everyone else think?

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Re: First impressions

Like it so far but I've mostly done setup because I've been at work
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I considered one of the iPad Airs, but I really want the Mini with retina... can you compare the Air to the Mini (discounting the obvious issue with the retina/non-retina display)?
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I considered one of the iPad Airs, but I really want the Mini with retina... can you compare the Air to the Mini (discounting the obvious issue with the retina/non-retina display)?
    Pics or usage? Pics I can do with one of the kids' minis, but I only really use it when I need to help them.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Global Posts
    3,436 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    It's very similar weight wise. Easy to hold. The mini is smaller so it's easier to hold but I like the larger screen. It's the same thinness as the mini too.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Pics or usage? Pics I can do with one of the kids' minis, but I only really use it when I need to help them.
    Sorry. I meant usage. I love the small form factor of the Mini... with the Air being smaller than the previous full size iPads, I am curious. Phreddyl already said it was light - the Air is 1 pound, the previous Mini is .73 pounds... really just curious about size, weight, real time usage. My mini fit easily in my cargo pants pocket, the full size didn't...

Trying to stand firm and wait a couple of weeks for he new Mini... but getting impatient... and wanting a new toy.
    Karenkcoulter likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

I LOVE my new iPad Air. It is so light compared with the iPad 2. I love the new form factor being lighter and thinner. The narrower bezels makes it easier to type in portrait mode too. The A7 processor is noticeably faster than the A5 and the retina display looks so good. I only wish that the display and touch layers were bonded to each other like on my iPhone 5 because that would make the images and print appear to be on the glass surface instead of under it.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,333 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Who's got a white Air? Any regrets?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,322 Global Posts

I had the mini and after holding the air I was convinced. The air is as thin as the mini and feels great to hold and use. I think this will sway a lot of potential mini buyers.
    Thanked by:
    dalaen (11-02-2013)
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Global Posts
    3,436 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    My husband got the white and he loves it.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,861 Global Posts

I got the white Air and love it. However I had a white iPad 2 and have a white iPhone 5. So white was the natural choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5 > Moto X > iPhone 5s > iPhone 6
    iMore Intermediate

I too have a white iPad Air and LOVE it. Both my iPhone and iPad Air are white now.😃
    iMore Intermediate

Black, 64Gb, ATT iPad Air here. Works great looks great. The only thing that is hard to get used to right now is how much lighter and thinner it is compared to my iPad 3.
    Definitely a keeper!!!!
    iMore Newbie

I love mine, but after upgrading from iPad 1 I certainly expected to be blown away and I am! Anyone who doesn't have iPad with Retina really needs to get it, everything is sharper and crisper and even (it seems) brighter. I love the size. I think it is great. I easily can slip it into my purse, hold it for long periods, type on it. Couldn't be happier. I got the 32GB WiFi only and the only thing is now I am evaluating if I want to exchange for either a cellular version or a 64GB. Apple will take it in exchange for two weeks after purchase, so I will use it as much as possibly during these next few weeks and make a final decision.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kritter217 View Post
    I love mine, but after upgrading from iPad 1 I certainly expected to be blown away and I am! Anyone who doesn't have iPad with Retina really needs to get it, everything is sharper and crisper and even (it seems) brighter. I love the size. I think it is great. I easily can slip it into my purse, hold it for long periods, type on it. Couldn't be happier. I got the 32GB WiFi only and the only thing is now I am evaluating if I want to exchange for either a cellular version or a 64GB. Apple will take it in exchange for two weeks after purchase, so I will use it as much as possibly during these next few weeks and make a final decision.
    I'm having the size debate myself. I went from a 64 gb Verizon 3 to a 32gb Verizon air. I never really used all 64gb, but it sure was nice not having to worry about ever running out of space. I have a feeling I'll end up upgrading to the 64 before the 2 weeks is up.

Sent from my iPad
    Verizon iPhone 4S white 32gb
    Verizon iPad black 64gb + 4g
    16gb white WiFi iPad 2
    iMore Newbie

The thing I keep thinking about is not how much space I will personally need for things like music, documents, photos, etc. but rather how large the apps will start to get once developers start making 64 bit specific apps. I think in the not too far distant future the apps themselves will eat up much more of the available storage than they do now. Will 32 GB be the 16 GB equivalent in a year? I hope to keep this iPad for 2-3 years and don't want to outgrow it before I am ready.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    1,751 Global Posts

I bought the white/silver 128GB At&t cellular model. This has to be my favorite Ipad to date. I love the size and the look. I've been playing with with it all last night and all day today. I also bought a smart case and it's very nice also.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

Currently have a mini and planning on upgrading to the retina mini when it comes out later this month. Purchased a iPad Air yesterday for my partner and am now tossed on whether I should stick with the mini or also get myself the Air model. Decisions Decisions
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    845 Global Posts

oh my god sounds good,waiting to get it in my hands
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

I have owned both the the Ipad 1 and the mini; my daughter has the 4th generation. The Ipad Air is the best of all of those worlds. New, unique, smaller, lighter, faster and a spectacular display. I would advise anyone looking to buy the Mini Retina, to check out the Ipad Air. It just seems to fit. The only clear benefit I see in the mini is that you can get 32 gb for $499.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Space grey 128GB Verizon here. I'm actually still getting use to the size coming from the mini. I had an iPad 1 & 2 before so it's not new to me, but having the mini for a whole year I'm love the bigger screen size again. Plus being my first retina iPad the screen is great! Went with the 128 because I like carrying my music and movies and had my previous 64gb almost maxed out. Also went with the cellular for a "just in case". For if I travel or when I get sent to training the hotels wifi is not that good.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums app
    iPad1 - I
    iPad 2 - I
    iPad Mini - I
    iPad Air - I
    iPhone 3G - I
    iPhone 4 - I
    iPhone 4S- II
    iPhone 5 - III
    iPhone 5S - I
    iPod 30GB - I
    iPod Touch 5thG 64GB - I
    MacBook - I
    Mac Mini - I
    rMBP 13"
    iPhone 6+ SG 128GB
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kritter217 View Post
    The thing I keep thinking about is not how much space I will personally need for things like music, documents, photos, etc. but rather how large the apps will start to get once developers start making 64 bit specific apps. I think in the not too far distant future the apps themselves will eat up much more of the available storage than they do now. Will 32 GB be the 16 GB equivalent in a year? I hope to keep this iPad for 2-3 years and don't want to outgrow it before I am ready.
    In this case you definitely want to skip the 16 and go with 32 at least.

What i do is, for my phone 16GB is more than enough for me because i kinda stream everything over the air.

For iPad though, i gotta get at least 32GB. I know i'm gonna put some movies in there and other school stuff that can simply takes up space!

If you wanna keep it for more than a year than maybe 64 would be good too
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    2,310 Global Posts

You guys are killing me. My hubby ordered a 128G iPad Air for me as an early birthday present & it arrives sometime next week (pretty sure he ordered from Apple online & had it engraved hence the extra time - he's far too good to me). I can hardly stand the wait despite being much too old to feel this way. This will be my very first iPad. BlackBerry was my brand of choice until my 9930 died abt 6 months ago & I had to choose between Apple & Android. Ordered an iPhone 5 & wish I'd switched sooner. Guess I'll have to be content with reading your reviews until the FedEx truck pulls down my driveway. Sigh....
    iMore Intermediate

My first impressions were damn this thing is light and also it's really nice looking Space Gray with a red Smart Cover. I cannot get over the new dimensions. It's great.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I caved... bought the 16gb space grey model... but haven’t opened the shrinkwrap yet... already feeling a tinge of buyer's remorse. The 16gb space grey iPad Air is definitely going back to the store. I am still vacillating between a 32gb iPad Air or trying my luck with the retina Mini...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast