First impressions

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Been using my new air all day and realty loving it. It's so light. Similar weight to the mini but a larger screen. What does everyone else think?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I considered one of the iPad Airs, but I really want the Mini with retina... can you compare the Air to the Mini (discounting the obvious issue with the retina/non-retina display)?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I considered one of the iPad Airs, but I really want the Mini with retina... can you compare the Air to the Mini (discounting the obvious issue with the retina/non-retina display)?

It's very similar weight wise. Easy to hold. The mini is smaller so it's easier to hold but I like the larger screen. It's the same thinness as the mini too.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Pics or usage? Pics I can do with one of the kids' minis, but I only really use it when I need to help them.

Sorry. I meant usage. I love the small form factor of the Mini... with the Air being smaller than the previous full size iPads, I am curious. Phreddyl already said it was light - the Air is 1 pound, the previous Mini is .73 pounds... really just curious about size, weight, real time usage. My mini fit easily in my cargo pants pocket, the full size didn't...

Trying to stand firm and wait a couple of weeks for he new Mini... but getting impatient... and wanting a new toy. :)

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I LOVE my new iPad Air. It is so light compared with the iPad 2. I love the new form factor being lighter and thinner. The narrower bezels makes it easier to type in portrait mode too. The A7 processor is noticeably faster than the A5 and the retina display looks so good. I only wish that the display and touch layers were bonded to each other like on my iPhone 5 because that would make the images and print appear to be on the glass surface instead of under it.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the mini and after holding the air I was convinced. The air is as thin as the mini and feels great to hold and use. I think this will sway a lot of potential mini buyers.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Black, 64Gb, ATT iPad Air here. Works great looks great. The only thing that is hard to get used to right now is how much lighter and thinner it is compared to my iPad 3.
Definitely a keeper!!!!

kritter217

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I love mine, but after upgrading from iPad 1 I certainly expected to be blown away and I am! Anyone who doesn't have iPad with Retina really needs to get it, everything is sharper and crisper and even (it seems) brighter. I love the size. I think it is great. I easily can slip it into my purse, hold it for long periods, type on it. Couldn't be happier. I got the 32GB WiFi only and the only thing is now I am evaluating if I want to exchange for either a cellular version or a 64GB. Apple will take it in exchange for two weeks after purchase, so I will use it as much as possibly during these next few weeks and make a final decision.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I love mine, but after upgrading from iPad 1 I certainly expected to be blown away and I am! Anyone who doesn't have iPad with Retina really needs to get it, everything is sharper and crisper and even (it seems) brighter. I love the size. I think it is great. I easily can slip it into my purse, hold it for long periods, type on it. Couldn't be happier. I got the 32GB WiFi only and the only thing is now I am evaluating if I want to exchange for either a cellular version or a 64GB. Apple will take it in exchange for two weeks after purchase, so I will use it as much as possibly during these next few weeks and make a final decision.

I'm having the size debate myself. I went from a 64 gb Verizon 3 to a 32gb Verizon air. I never really used all 64gb, but it sure was nice not having to worry about ever running out of space. I have a feeling I'll end up upgrading to the 64 before the 2 weeks is up.

Sent from my iPad

kritter217

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The thing I keep thinking about is not how much space I will personally need for things like music, documents, photos, etc. but rather how large the apps will start to get once developers start making 64 bit specific apps. I think in the not too far distant future the apps themselves will eat up much more of the available storage than they do now. Will 32 GB be the 16 GB equivalent in a year? I hope to keep this iPad for 2-3 years and don't want to outgrow it before I am ready.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought the white/silver 128GB At&t cellular model. This has to be my favorite Ipad to date. I love the size and the look. I've been playing with with it all last night and all day today. I also bought a smart case and it's very nice also.

raorth

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Currently have a mini and planning on upgrading to the retina mini when it comes out later this month. Purchased a iPad Air yesterday for my partner and am now tossed on whether I should stick with the mini or also get myself the Air model. Decisions Decisions

KJD209

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I have owned both the the Ipad 1 and the mini; my daughter has the 4th generation. The Ipad Air is the best of all of those worlds. New, unique, smaller, lighter, faster and a spectacular display. I would advise anyone looking to buy the Mini Retina, to check out the Ipad Air. It just seems to fit. The only clear benefit I see in the mini is that you can get 32 gb for $499.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Space grey 128GB Verizon here. I'm actually still getting use to the size coming from the mini. I had an iPad 1 & 2 before so it's not new to me, but having the mini for a whole year I'm love the bigger screen size again. Plus being my first retina iPad the screen is great! Went with the 128 because I like carrying my music and movies and had my previous 64gb almost maxed out. Also went with the cellular for a "just in case". For if I travel or when I get sent to training the hotels wifi is not that good.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums app

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
The thing I keep thinking about is not how much space I will personally need for things like music, documents, photos, etc. but rather how large the apps will start to get once developers start making 64 bit specific apps. I think in the not too far distant future the apps themselves will eat up much more of the available storage than they do now. Will 32 GB be the 16 GB equivalent in a year? I hope to keep this iPad for 2-3 years and don't want to outgrow it before I am ready.

In this case you definitely want to skip the 16 and go with 32 at least.

What i do is, for my phone 16GB is more than enough for me because i kinda stream everything over the air.

For iPad though, i gotta get at least 32GB. I know i'm gonna put some movies in there and other school stuff that can simply takes up space!

If you wanna keep it for more than a year than maybe 64 would be good too

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice