Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jarofclay73
  • 1 Post By Karenkcoulter
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Recipe7's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    69 Posts

    Default No touch-sensor... so what?

    I was hoping there was going to be a touch sensor on the new ipads. However, it wasn't a deciding factor for me.

    My wife's 5s is a great piece of work, and the touch sensor just makes so much sense . Your thumb is usually the button to wake up the phone, and the touch sensor allows you to simply leave your thumb on the sensor to unlock the phone.

    As with the ipad... doesn't seem like it matters. I personally like the smart cases, allowing the ipad to wake up from opening it. I wouldn't want a password/touch sensor as another step to opening the homescreen. Having to use the touch sensor just seems like unnecessary work.

    Don't get me wrong though, I wish it had the touch sensor. But even then, I'm still going to pick up my first ipad/tablet ever.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    The touch sensor would be a nice function, but the iPad is a great device without it. And there is a number of cases out there that will do what your looking for.
  3. #3  
    nr2d's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    81 Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    I started using the Touch ID on my iP 5C about 2 weeks ago. It is very convenient to open/un-lock my iPhone quickly. I do wish it was included on the new iPad Air had but considering what was reported a week or 2 about the low yields for the iPhone 5C version I guess Apple decided to leave it out.
    iPhone 5S, iPad Air, iMAC, Old Dell PC
  4. #4  
    PhamQu's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by nr2d View Post
    I started using the Touch ID on my iP 5C about 2 weeks ago. It is very convenient to open/un-lock my iPhone quickly. I do wish it was included on the new iPad Air had but considering what was reported a week or 2 about the low yields for the iPhone 5C version I guess Apple decided to leave it out.
    I believe you mean iPhone 5s, not 5c, As of right now, Touch ID is exclusive to the iPhone 5s only.
  5. #5  
    djstarion's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    I haven't used touch id much other than a demo unit but would it maybe cause some confusion on the iPad?

    With the phone you unlock it one way, vertical. With the iPad you can unlock it from 2 different orientations so you would have to remember which way you trained the touch id to recognize the print, unless it would be able to train both ways.
  6. #6  
    SwitchBeach's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,913 Global Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    The fingerprints on my iPhone 5s unlock the device no matter which way I place my finger on the Touch ID (even upside down), so I don't think that would be an issue.
  7. #7  
    jarofclay73's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    50 Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    I'm kind of glad there's no Touch ID. Although I would've liked to have it, it's not worth having low production yields like the 5s. The 5s can be the year-long experiment and next year the rest of the devices can get it.

    Yes, the Smart Cover does a lot to unlock your iPad already.
  8. #8  
    tbaptista's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Kind of a bummer that the new iPad lineup didn't get Touch ID. I can't tell you how many times I go to unlock my mini after using my 5s and hold my thumb on the home button waiting for it to unlock. Then i just shake my head for forgetting. lol
  9. #9  
    jarofclay73's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    50 Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Mashable made a good point saying that the iPad is like a household device rather than an exclusively personal one. If Apple gets multiple profiles in iOS 7 next year, it will make more sense to have Touch ID in the iPad.
    j_benj likes this.
  10. #10  
    Kevin Michaluk's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,543 Global Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by jarofclay73 View Post
    Mashable made a good point saying that the iPad is like a household device rather than an exclusively personal one. If Apple gets multiple profiles in iOS 7 next year, it will make more sense to have Touch ID in the iPad.
    It's a good point, but doesn't really matter, seeing as how you don't have to use Touch ID to get into the device even once enabled. Can still just enter the password.

    Touch ID is my favorite thing about the iPhone 5s. So not having it on the iPad Air just feels.... sloppy for lack of a better word. You'd think the Touch ID team would have clued in the iPad team a little earlier, so they could have worked it into this generation of iPad. Though you know... still going to buy this iPad Air, and will get it again next year when Touch ID does come to it. So I guess Apple knows what they're doing... double dibbing into my pockets!
  11. #11  
    Starchest's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    I just love touch ID on my 5S. It is great. I will be getting the Air but I really feel sad about it not being present. I think the only reason they left it out is to have something to put in next years update.
  12. #12  
    jarofclay73's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    50 Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starchest View Post
    I just love touch ID on my 5S. It is great. I will be getting the Air but I really feel sad about it not being present. I think the only reason they left it out is to have something to put in next years update.
    Or, the Touch ID supplier can't keep up with the demand and Apple didn't want an iPhone 5s situation with the iPads. Just a thought.
  13. #13  
    Starchest's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by jarofclay73 View Post
    Or, the Touch ID supplier can't keep up with the demand and Apple didn't want an iPhone 5s situation with the iPads. Just a thought.
    Could be, perfectly valid point. But I have the feeling that if this is true they are not too angry or concerned since it means having one more feature for the next iPad.
  14. #14  
    Xm_jdm's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    901 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,959 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Recipe7 View Post
    I was hoping there was going to be a touch sensor on the new ipads. However, it wasn't a deciding factor for me.

    My wife's 5s is a great piece of work, and the touch sensor just makes so much sense . Your thumb is usually the button to wake up the phone, and the touch sensor allows you to simply leave your thumb on the sensor to unlock the phone.

    As with the ipad... doesn't seem like it matters. I personally like the smart cases, allowing the ipad to wake up from opening it. I wouldn't want a password/touch sensor as another step to opening the homescreen. Having to use the touch sensor just seems like unnecessary work.

    Don't get me wrong though, I wish it had the touch sensor. But even then, I'm still going to pick up my first ipad/tablet ever.
    I love touch ID... When I can remember that I have it. I still punch in my 4 digit code far more than using the sensor. I forget it's there. With that said it doesnt bug me that the Air doesnt have it. I will admit that I do love just being able to scan my finger for purchases. That's awfully cool.
  15. #15  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,063 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    I love touch ID... When I can remember that I have it. I still punch in my 4 digit code far more than using the sensor. I forget it's there. With that said it doesnt bug me that the Air doesnt have it. I will admit that I do love just being able to scan my finger for purchases. That's awfully cool.
    Add a complicated alphanumeric pass code instead of the four digit one and you'll remember the touchid pretty quick.
    Xm_jdm likes this.
  16. #16  
    Xm_jdm's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    901 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,959 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Add a complicated alphanumeric pass code instead of the four digit one and you'll remember the touchid pretty quick.
    Haha. That's actually a great idea!
  17. #17  
    bembol's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Bold prediction. Apple will include it in iPad Air 2!!!

    Not going to lie, I wanted the Touch ID. I'm not a fan of Passwords or Codes, it's the reason why I have an iPhone 5S (okay waiting for Rogers to ship my 64GB Gold!).
  18. #18  
    grassyblue's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    44 Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    This is literally my only complaint with the Air. The technology is clearly available, so why wasn't it added? I'm just not used to typing in pass codes after having acclimated to touch ID on my 5s.
  19. #19  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,063 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by grassyblue View Post
    This is literally my only complaint with the Air. The technology is clearly available, so why wasn't it added? I'm just not used to typing in pass codes after having acclimated to touch ID on my 5s.
    More than likely component availability.
  20. #20  
    bembol's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    More than likely component availability.
    Clearly Apple needs something for Air 2. I'm not surprised they didn't include it.
  21. #21  
    bigdad84's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.3

    Default Re: No touch-sensor... so what?

    I think another potential deciding factor was that, iPads are generally shared also, having Touch ID makes little sense when you might have more people using the same iPad. Unlike an iPhone, which one person uses.

Similar Threads

  1. What color Mini with Retina will you purchase?
    By Irish Rose in forum iPad mini with Retina Display
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 01:40 AM
  2. What color iPad Air will you purchase?
    By Irish Rose in forum iPad Air
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM
  3. What's next for Apple on the tablet front?
    By James Falconer in forum Rumored Apple Hardware & Software
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 08:59 PM
  5. No ATV
    By Chris Cook5 in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

B