No touch-sensor... so what?

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping there was going to be a touch sensor on the new ipads. However, it wasn't a deciding factor for me.

My wife's 5s is a great piece of work, and the touch sensor just makes so much sense . Your thumb is usually the button to wake up the phone, and the touch sensor allows you to simply leave your thumb on the sensor to unlock the phone.

As with the ipad... doesn't seem like it matters. I personally like the smart cases, allowing the ipad to wake up from opening it. I wouldn't want a password/touch sensor as another step to opening the homescreen. Having to use the touch sensor just seems like unnecessary work.

Don't get me wrong though, I wish it had the touch sensor. But even then, I'm still going to pick up my first ipad/tablet ever.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
The touch sensor would be a nice function, but the iPad is a great device without it. And there is a number of cases out there that will do what your looking for.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I started using the Touch ID on my iP 5C about 2 weeks ago. It is very convenient to open/un-lock my iPhone quickly. I do wish it was included on the new iPad Air had but considering what was reported a week or 2 about the low yields for the iPhone 5C version I guess Apple decided to leave it out.

PhamQu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I started using the Touch ID on my iP 5C about 2 weeks ago. It is very convenient to open/un-lock my iPhone quickly. I do wish it was included on the new iPad Air had but considering what was reported a week or 2 about the low yields for the iPhone 5C version I guess Apple decided to leave it out.

I believe you mean iPhone 5s, not 5c, As of right now, Touch ID is exclusive to the iPhone 5s only.

djstarion

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used touch id much other than a demo unit but would it maybe cause some confusion on the iPad?

With the phone you unlock it one way, vertical. With the iPad you can unlock it from 2 different orientations so you would have to remember which way you trained the touch id to recognize the print, unless it would be able to train both ways.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The fingerprints on my iPhone 5s unlock the device no matter which way I place my finger on the Touch ID (even upside down), so I don't think that would be an issue.

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of glad there's no Touch ID. Although I would've liked to have it, it's not worth having low production yields like the 5s. The 5s can be the year-long experiment and next year the rest of the devices can get it.

Yes, the Smart Cover does a lot to unlock your iPad already.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Kind of a bummer that the new iPad lineup didn't get Touch ID. I can't tell you how many times I go to unlock my mini after using my 5s and hold my thumb on the home button waiting for it to unlock. Then i just shake my head for forgetting. lol

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Mashable made a good point saying that the iPad is like a household device rather than an exclusively personal one. If Apple gets multiple profiles in iOS 7 next year, it will make more sense to have Touch ID in the iPad.

CrackBerry Kevin

Aug 30, 2007
www.crackberry.com
Mashable made a good point saying that the iPad is like a household device rather than an exclusively personal one. If Apple gets multiple profiles in iOS 7 next year, it will make more sense to have Touch ID in the iPad.

It's a good point, but doesn't really matter, seeing as how you don't have to use Touch ID to get into the device even once enabled. Can still just enter the password.

Touch ID is my favorite thing about the iPhone 5s. So not having it on the iPad Air just feels.... sloppy for lack of a better word. You'd think the Touch ID team would have clued in the iPad team a little earlier, so they could have worked it into this generation of iPad. Though you know... still going to buy this iPad Air, and will get it again next year when Touch ID does come to it. So I guess Apple knows what they're doing... double dibbing into my pockets! :)

Starchest

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just love touch ID on my 5S. It is great. I will be getting the Air but I really feel sad about it not being present. I think the only reason they left it out is to have something to put in next years update.

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I just love touch ID on my 5S. It is great. I will be getting the Air but I really feel sad about it not being present. I think the only reason they left it out is to have something to put in next years update.

Or, the Touch ID supplier can't keep up with the demand and Apple didn't want an iPhone 5s situation with the iPads. Just a thought.

Starchest

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Or, the Touch ID supplier can't keep up with the demand and Apple didn't want an iPhone 5s situation with the iPads. Just a thought.

Could be, perfectly valid point. But I have the feeling that if this is true they are not too angry or concerned since it means having one more feature for the next iPad.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I was hoping there was going to be a touch sensor on the new ipads. However, it wasn't a deciding factor for me.

My wife's 5s is a great piece of work, and the touch sensor just makes so much sense . Your thumb is usually the button to wake up the phone, and the touch sensor allows you to simply leave your thumb on the sensor to unlock the phone.

As with the ipad... doesn't seem like it matters. I personally like the smart cases, allowing the ipad to wake up from opening it. I wouldn't want a password/touch sensor as another step to opening the homescreen. Having to use the touch sensor just seems like unnecessary work.

Don't get me wrong though, I wish it had the touch sensor. But even then, I'm still going to pick up my first ipad/tablet ever.

I love touch ID... When I can remember that I have it. I still punch in my 4 digit code far more than using the sensor. I forget it's there. With that said it doesnt bug me that the Air doesnt have it. I will admit that I do love just being able to scan my finger for purchases. That's awfully cool.

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Bold prediction. Apple will include it in iPad Air 2!!!

Not going to lie, I wanted the Touch ID. I'm not a fan of Passwords or Codes, it's the reason why I have an iPhone 5S (okay waiting for Rogers to ship my 64GB Gold!). :)

grassyblue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This is literally my only complaint with the Air. The technology is clearly available, so why wasn't it added? I'm just not used to typing in pass codes after having acclimated to touch ID on my 5s.

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think another potential deciding factor was that, iPads are generally shared also, having Touch ID makes little sense when you might have more people using the same iPad. Unlike an iPhone, which one person uses.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative