iPad Air 2 wifi+cellular?

EhgezSharm

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
ipad air 2 wifi+cellular

Guys, what do you think of ipad air 2 wifi+cellular, please give me your opinion in details, i'm really confused!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: ipad air 2 wifi+cellular

What has you confused? It can be used with both WiFi and Cellular. You want to use WiFi has much as possible to avoid cellular charges, usually cell data is more expensive. You must subscribe to a provider and buy either a monthly package of data OR data packs, but WiFi you can use where ever there is a zone, your home (which you already pay for anyways) and out and about in free zone such as at cafes and in parks and such. Some cable provider such as Comcast (Xfinity) provide free WiFi to existing customers while they are out and about. In Philly these Xfinity zones are EVERYWHERE! You could probably get by with a WiFi only iPad BUT the cellular model gives you the freedom to have a connection almost everywhere! Even if you can't find a WiFi zone, for sure you should get a cell signal in most places. :)

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

What has you confused? It can be used with both WiFi and Cellular. You want to use WiFi has much as possible to avoid cellular charges, usually cell data is more expensive. You must subscribe to a provider and buy either a monthly package of data OR data packs, but WiFi you can use where ever there is a zone, your home (which you already pay for anyways) and out and about in free zone such as at cafes and in parks and such. Some cable provider such as Comcast (Xfinity) provide free WiFi to existing customers while they are out and about. In Philly these Xfinity zones are EVERYWHERE! You could probably get by with a WiFi only iPad BUT the cellular model gives you the freedom to have a connection almost everywhere! Even if you can't find a WiFi zone, for sure you should get a cell signal in most places. :)

If you buy the cellular version, it isn't essential to use it with a SIM card. It can be used on WiFi alone, but you'll not be able to use it outside of WiFi range. My iPad is cellular and it is definitely convenient, but I rarely use it anywhere I can't get a WiFi signal.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

If you buy the cellular version, it isn't essential to use it with a SIM card. It can be used on WiFi alone, but you'll not be able to use it outside of WiFi range. My iPad is cellular and it is definitely convenient, but I rarely use it anywhere I can't get a WiFi signal.

I have the cellular version without an account also. ;) Although I USED to have an account. I'm supposed to get 200 free MBs from T-Mobile but I can never seem to get them and I'm tired of fighting with T-Mobile about it! lol

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

I have an iPad Air 2 with cellular. It's on AT&T with my iPhone 6S. I love both the iPad works great for everything I do. I have an anti-glare screen protector on it. Since I bought my 1st iPad I enjoy reading books on it. The anti-glare screen protector makes reading easy on my eyes.

I have streamed video from my DVR with ease. I play only 1 game and it is not a very fast or action packed game so I can't speak for gaming performance. I use the iPad for work also. It comes in quite handy when I need to access online data while I work away from my office. So the cellular side gets quite a bit of use.

Over all I am quite happy with all of my iPad Air 2's functions and performance.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
If you care - you don't get GPS with the WiFi-only model, only if you get the LTE model. I'm also using the free 200MB/month T-Mobile offer and it works fine for me here in Seattle.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If you care - you don't get GPS with the WiFi-only model, only if you get the LTE model. I'm also using the free 200MB/month T-Mobile offer and it works fine for me here in Seattle.

I could push the issue but I have enough hotspot on my two phones that it really does't matter.

SoxfaninFL

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

With Verizon I simply inserted one of their SIM cards into my iPad Air2 for only 10 dollars more a month. I basically share my data plan with my iPhone 6s Plus and my iPad Air2. Most carriers will let you do that. I used to buy data plans for my iPad through ATT and then I found I could add my iPad to our phones data plan. We have 4 devices on our plan iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, iPad Air and a Motorola Droid. We share 16 gigs of data which is more than enough for us. I do take my iPad every where with me. To be honest, I got tired of having to turn on my hotspot on my iPhone when ever I wanted to use my iPad. I also didn't want to keep spending money on data plans simply for my iPad that I may not use each month.

DarthCorvax

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the Air 2 Wi-fi + cellular model (T-mo) myself. Like others in the thread, I could tether to my phone, but it's just more convenient for when I'm not around Wi-Fi. You don't have to go into your phone and start the hotspot each time. That's probably the biggest benefit over just tethering to your phone.

Unless somehow you lose or break your phone, in which case, it might become invaluable until you replace your phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Guys, what do you think of ipad air 2 wifi+cellular, please give me your opinion in details, i'm really confused!

I think the iPad Air 2 is an excellent device, and if you're thinking about getting one, I say go for it.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site

I've decided to skip an "upgrade" from my current WiFi Air 2 to the new 9.7" Pro in favor of a Cellular Air 2. The Air 2 is a great tablet, and with the additional cellular capability, it'll be more versatile as well.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

I have the air 2 with wi-if and cellular and it is a great piece of equipment. It is very light to carry around and as mentioned in another post there are thousands of wi-if sites around.