Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Wifi or Cellular?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wifi

    0 0%
  • Cellular

    4 100.00%
  • Turnip

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    I've been considering getting an Ipad Air 2 for awhile and have narrowed it down to everything except whether or not I want to get a Wifi only model or a cellular model? I have T-mobile and they have a match your data option for $10 up to 5GB. Which is a nice deal since I have unlimited data on my Iphone so I would get 5GB on the Ipad. I mainly want the Ipad as a Vlogging and Video editing device. And as of right now I don't find myself traveling that much. So while it seems like a good deal I may not even use it. But, I've been to enough hotels that charge an arm and a leg just to use their terrible wifi it still makes me consider it. Thoughts and why?
  2. #2  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    If you can afford it I would get it. Even if you don't use it I would it as a good backup should you need it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    anon(5061193) likes this.
  3. #3  
    sparksd's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    I haven't used cellular yet but bought it because I did want GPS and felt that the cellular could be useful if need be.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    If you can afford it I would get it. Even if you don't use it I would it as a good backup should you need it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Indeed how I feel.

    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    I haven't used cellular yet but bought it because I did want GPS and felt that the cellular could be useful if need be.
    That does make sense to have it and get service for it when I need it.
  5. #5  
    sparksd's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    I should have noted that Apple Sim was part of my decision to get cellular version - ability to simply get temporary service is great.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    I haven't used cellular yet but bought it because I did want GPS and felt that the cellular could be useful if need be.
    This... If there is any chance that you might want GPS in your iPad go with the cellular version. Even if you never use the cellular service, you have it if you need it.
  7. #7  
    MasterDarque's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Be forewarned, long story... not so short. My first iOS device was a fourth generation iPod Touch, and as much as I liked to use it, one thing that always limited my using it more - or more effectively for me, was the lack of a cellular radio. Reason being is that if I wanted to do anything that required online access I had to search out public wifi hotspots when away from home to go online with it. There were many times I daydreamed of it having a cellular radio - I know, I know the iPod Touch with a cellular radio is called an iPhone ;-) But at the time I wasn't looking for a smartphone or a two year contract per se, I just wanted a music player with a camera, an App Store and access to the internet. I'm also a frequent user of public transportation (busses), so while I was going to or from somewhere on the bus I didn't have any access to wifi or the internet. Now getting back to the cellular iPads - I said all of this to help show what made me make the choice to choose the cellular option when I decided to purchase my first iPad which was the iPad third generation, as well as its eventual replacement the iPad Air 2. Even though the cellular option is the more expensive one, I've found it to also be the more liberating one for me. I can select wether to have a data plan or not from month to month, as well as how much data I want to purchase at a time: from a few hundreds of megabytes per day all the way up to five gigs for a month. Also, I've found another very useful feature being the ability to tether other devices to it. After all one Apple device in my experience invariably leads to the purchase of others...
    TL;DR version - thumbs up for the cellular option for the iPad if it's within your means to buy it. You may rarely need to make use of that cellular radio but if and when you do, you'll be thankful that it's there.
    GeoK likes this.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    I should have noted that Apple Sim was part of my decision to get cellular version - ability to simply get temporary service is great.
    I wasn't even aware of that. Just looked that up and I'm blown away by that. That's a really clever idea. I love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by bamf-hacker View Post
    This... If there is any chance that you might want GPS in your iPad go with the cellular version. Even if you never use the cellular service, you have it if you need it.
    Yeah enough people have convinced me it would be worth it to me to have the ability even if I don't need it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterDarque View Post
    Be forewarned, long story... not so short. My first iOS device was a fourth generation iPod Touch, and as much as I liked to use it, one thing that always limited my using it more - or more effectively for me, was the lack of a cellular radio. Reason being is that if I wanted to do anything that required online access I had to search out public wifi hotspots when away from home to go online with it. There were many times I daydreamed of it having a cellular radio - I know, I know the iPod Touch with a cellular radio is called an iPhone ;-) But at the time I wasn't looking for a smartphone or a two year contract per se, I just wanted a music player with a camera, an App Store and access to the internet. I'm also a frequent user of public transportation (busses), so while I was going to or from somewhere on the bus I didn't have any access to wifi or the internet. Now getting back to the cellular iPads - I said all of this to help show what made me make the choice to choose the cellular option when I decided to purchase my first iPad which was the iPad third generation, as well as its eventual replacement the iPad Air 2. Even though the cellular option is the more expensive one, I've found it to also be the more liberating one for me. I can select wether to have a data plan or not from month to month, as well as how much data I want to purchase at a time: from a few hundreds of megabytes per day all the way up to five gigs for a month. Also, I've found another very useful feature being the ability to tether other devices to it. After all one Apple device in my experience invariably leads to the purchase of others...
    TL;DR version - thumbs up for the cellular option for the iPad if it's within your means to buy it. You may rarely need to make use of that cellular radio but if and when you do, you'll be thankful that it's there.
    Forewarned I read your story. :-p

    That all makes sense and I did end up grabbing a Cellular version of the Ipad Air 2. So all is good in the world.
    MasterDarque likes this.
  9. #9  
    Bugeyess's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Sounds like a great price, I would do it.
  10. #10  
    MasterDarque's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by terreos View Post
    I wasn't even aware of that. Just looked that up and I'm blown away by that. That's a really clever idea. I love it!



    Yeah enough people have convinced me it would be worth it to me to have the ability even if I don't need it.



    Forewarned I read your story. :-p

    That all makes sense and I did end up grabbing a Cellular version of the Ipad Air 2. So all is good in the world.
    Yeah, I can go on for a little long at times - thanks for making it through my post though. Congratulations on your new iPad - enjoy ;-)
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterDarque View Post
    Yeah, I can go on for a little long at times - thanks for making it through my post though. Congratulations on your new iPad - enjoy ;-)
    Nah you're fine. I do it all the time when people ask "Should I go ios or android." And I have this five paragraph story of how I got to where I'm at and why I chose ios over android. ((Hint Hint it's because syncing music with itunes is so easy and organized.))
    MasterDarque likes this.
  12. #12  
    anon(5061193)'s Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Great back up if you can afford it. Takes the guess work out of it
  13. #13  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by terreos View Post
    I wasn't even aware of that. Just looked that up and I'm blown away by that. That's a really clever idea. I love it!



    Yeah enough people have convinced me it would be worth it to me to have the ability even if I don't need it.



    Forewarned I read your story. :-p

    That all makes sense and I did end up grabbing a Cellular version of the Ipad Air 2. So all is good in the world.
    The one thing with the Apple sim is that your basically stuck with Sprint or T-Mobile or some new International new carrier. AT&T is on it but it locks the sim card so you can't switch. Also when you choose sprint or T-Mobile you can't choose AT&T then later.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    That's good to know. I don't plan on leaving T-Mobile anytime soon so that shouldn't be a problem for me. I gotta look more into Apple sim as I think that's what I'm going to do when I need data instead of gettings a data plan from T-Mobile.
  15. #15  
    PastelApps's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    I have iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi. Because, when i go out, i will use my iPhone to do online activity.
    jianrong likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    That's kind of what I thought I'd do. I ended up getting a cellular iPad but didn't buy a data plan for it. I'm going to use Apple aim for when I may have need for data on my tablet.
  17. #17  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by terreos View Post
    That's kind of what I thought I'd do. I ended up getting a cellular iPad but didn't buy a data plan for it. I'm going to use Apple aim for when I may have need for data on my tablet.


    T-mobile offers free data for life. It's 200mb a month but it's useful in a pinch.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. #18  
    Evilguppy's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,839 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    I could not live with a wifi only device. I mean, I have an iTouch ... For music when I workout. Otherwise, with my lifestyle, cellular is a must.
    For work and play, I'm always in places where wifi is not available, I need to do searches rapidly, communicate with coworkers and family etc.
    There's no way I'd be able to do all that effectively and in a timely manner with a wifi only device.

    Enjoy your new tablet!
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    T-mobile offers free data for life. It's 200mb a month but it's useful in a pinch.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Do they still offer that? I didn't see it when I was looking on the website.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilguppy View Post
    I could not live with a wifi only device. I mean, I have an iTouch ... For music when I workout. Otherwise, with my lifestyle, cellular is a must.
    For work and play, I'm always in places where wifi is not available, I need to do searches rapidly, communicate with coworkers and family etc.
    There's no way I'd be able to do all that effectively and in a timely manner with a wifi only device.

    Enjoy your new tablet!
    It always to be that way with me too. So many places have free wifi but I'm never at any of them. Really defeats the purpose since I've been using my Ipad alot more than my phone since I got it.
  20. #20  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by terreos View Post
    Do they still offer that? I didn't see it when I was looking on the website.



    It always to be that way with me too. So many places have free wifi but I'm never at any of them. Really defeats the purpose since I've been using my Ipad alot more than my phone since I got it.


    Yes you can sign up for it on your iPad when your setting up a plan through your iPad with the apple sim.


    Personally I wouldn't use public wifi for security reasons


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Yes you can sign up for it on your iPad when your setting up a plan through your iPad with the apple sim.


    Personally I wouldn't use public wifi for security reasons


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    How I missed that is beyond me. I'm gonna use that offer for sure! Thanks.
    Closingracer likes this.
  22. #22  
    Channan's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,024 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    I'll always just buy Wi-Fi only iPads and use my phone to tether. With iOS 8 and remote hotspot, I don't even need to touch my phone to connect my iPad to it. Sure, it drains my phone's battery a little while I use it, but I never use it enough while I'm out for that to make much of a difference. Plus the added bonus of an all metal and glass iPad with no plastic strip.
  23. #23  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    I'll always just buy Wi-Fi only iPads and use my phone to tether. With iOS 8 and remote hotspot, I don't even need to touch my phone to connect my iPad to it. Sure, it drains my phone's battery a little while I use it, but I never use it enough while I'm out for that to make much of a difference. Plus the added bonus of an all metal and glass iPad with no plastic strip.

    Tethering kills your battery and isn't worth it. If you can afford $130 more it's well worth the price to have the option.


    Also who cares about a plastic strip


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ladyc0524 likes this.
  24. #24  
    Channan's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,024 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Tethering kills your battery and isn't worth it. If you can afford $130 more it's well worth the price to have the option.


    Also who cares about a plastic strip


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not worth it to you. It doesn't kill my battery. It only drains my phone about 15% per hour. Maybe you take your iPad out every day for several hours at a time, but I don't. I could easily afford the extra $130, but since I wouldn't use it and have had no need to since the original iPad came out, why would I waste the money?

    I said not having the strip is a bonus. I didn't say you should base your buying decision off of it. The iPad just looks better without it. No need to get so defensive.
  25. #25  
    GeoK's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    But at $10 a month for backup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2015, 09:29 AM
  2. Why is the audio record feature of my iPad not working?
    By iMore Question in forum Apple Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2015, 08:51 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions