Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Turnip

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been considering getting an Ipad Air 2 for awhile and have narrowed it down to everything except whether or not I want to get a Wifi only model or a cellular model? I have T-mobile and they have a match your data option for $10 up to 5GB. Which is a nice deal since I have unlimited data on my Iphone so I would get 5GB on the Ipad. I mainly want the Ipad as a Vlogging and Video editing device. And as of right now I don't find myself traveling that much. So while it seems like a good deal I may not even use it. But, I've been to enough hotels that charge an arm and a leg just to use their terrible wifi it still makes me consider it. Thoughts and why?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
If you can afford it I would get it. Even if you don't use it I would it as a good backup should you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I haven't used cellular yet but bought it because I did want GPS and felt that the cellular could be useful if need be.

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford it I would get it. Even if you don't use it I would it as a good backup should you need it.

Indeed how I feel.

I haven't used cellular yet but bought it because I did want GPS and felt that the cellular could be useful if need be.

That does make sense to have it and get service for it when I need it.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I should have noted that Apple Sim was part of my decision to get cellular version - ability to simply get temporary service is great.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

This... If there is any chance that you might want GPS in your iPad go with the cellular version. Even if you never use the cellular service, you have it if you need it.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Be forewarned, long story... not so short. My first iOS device was a fourth generation iPod Touch, and as much as I liked to use it, one thing that always limited my using it more - or more effectively for me, was the lack of a cellular radio. Reason being is that if I wanted to do anything that required online access I had to search out public wifi hotspots when away from home to go online with it. There were many times I daydreamed of it having a cellular radio - I know, I know the iPod Touch with a cellular radio is called an iPhone ;-) But at the time I wasn't looking for a smartphone or a two year contract per se, I just wanted a music player with a camera, an App Store and access to the internet. I'm also a frequent user of public transportation (busses), so while I was going to or from somewhere on the bus I didn't have any access to wifi or the internet. Now getting back to the cellular iPads - I said all of this to help show what made me make the choice to choose the cellular option when I decided to purchase my first iPad which was the iPad third generation, as well as its eventual replacement the iPad Air 2. Even though the cellular option is the more expensive one, I've found it to also be the more liberating one for me. I can select wether to have a data plan or not from month to month, as well as how much data I want to purchase at a time: from a few hundreds of megabytes per day all the way up to five gigs for a month. Also, I've found another very useful feature being the ability to tether other devices to it. After all one Apple device in my experience invariably leads to the purchase of others...
TL;DR version - thumbs up for the cellular option for the iPad if it's within your means to buy it. You may rarely need to make use of that cellular radio but if and when you do, you'll be thankful that it's there.

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I should have noted that Apple Sim was part of my decision to get cellular version - ability to simply get temporary service is great.

I wasn't even aware of that. Just looked that up and I'm blown away by that. That's a really clever idea. I love it!

This... If there is any chance that you might want GPS in your iPad go with the cellular version. Even if you never use the cellular service, you have it if you need it.

Yeah enough people have convinced me it would be worth it to me to have the ability even if I don't need it.

Be forewarned, long story... not so short. My first iOS device was a fourth generation iPod Touch, and as much as I liked to use it, one thing that always limited my using it more - or more effectively for me, was the lack of a cellular radio. Reason being is that if I wanted to do anything that required online access I had to search out public wifi hotspots when away from home to go online with it. There were many times I daydreamed of it having a cellular radio - I know, I know the iPod Touch with a cellular radio is called an iPhone ;-) But at the time I wasn't looking for a smartphone or a two year contract per se, I just wanted a music player with a camera, an App Store and access to the internet. I'm also a frequent user of public transportation (busses), so while I was going to or from somewhere on the bus I didn't have any access to wifi or the internet. Now getting back to the cellular iPads - I said all of this to help show what made me make the choice to choose the cellular option when I decided to purchase my first iPad which was the iPad third generation, as well as its eventual replacement the iPad Air 2. Even though the cellular option is the more expensive one, I've found it to also be the more liberating one for me. I can select wether to have a data plan or not from month to month, as well as how much data I want to purchase at a time: from a few hundreds of megabytes per day all the way up to five gigs for a month. Also, I've found another very useful feature being the ability to tether other devices to it. After all one Apple device in my experience invariably leads to the purchase of others...
TL;DR version - thumbs up for the cellular option for the iPad if it's within your means to buy it. You may rarely need to make use of that cellular radio but if and when you do, you'll be thankful that it's there.

Forewarned I read your story. :p

That all makes sense and I did end up grabbing a Cellular version of the Ipad Air 2. So all is good in the world.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't even aware of that. Just looked that up and I'm blown away by that. That's a really clever idea. I love it!

Yeah enough people have convinced me it would be worth it to me to have the ability even if I don't need it.

That all makes sense and I did end up grabbing a Cellular version of the Ipad Air 2. So all is good in the world.

Yeah, I can go on for a little long at times - thanks for making it through my post though. Congratulations on your new iPad - enjoy ;-)

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I can go on for a little long at times - thanks for making it through my post though. Congratulations on your new iPad - enjoy ;-)

Nah you're fine. I do it all the time when people ask "Should I go ios or android." And I have this five paragraph story of how I got to where I'm at and why I chose ios over android. ((Hint Hint it's because syncing music with itunes is so easy and organized.))

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

The one thing with the Apple sim is that your basically stuck with Sprint or T-Mobile or some new International new carrier. AT&T is on it but it locks the sim card so you can't switch. Also when you choose sprint or T-Mobile you can't choose AT&T then later.

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
That's good to know. I don't plan on leaving T-Mobile anytime soon so that shouldn't be a problem for me. I gotta look more into Apple sim as I think that's what I'm going to do when I need data instead of gettings a data plan from T-Mobile.

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
That's kind of what I thought I'd do. I ended up getting a cellular iPad but didn't buy a data plan for it. I'm going to use Apple aim for when I may have need for data on my tablet.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
That's kind of what I thought I'd do. I ended up getting a cellular iPad but didn't buy a data plan for it. I'm going to use Apple aim for when I may have need for data on my tablet.

T-mobile offers free data for life. It's 200mb a month but it's useful in a pinch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I could not live with a wifi only device. I mean, I have an iTouch ... For music when I workout. Otherwise, with my lifestyle, cellular is a must.
For work and play, I'm always in places where wifi is not available, I need to do searches rapidly, communicate with coworkers and family etc.
There's no way I'd be able to do all that effectively and in a timely manner with a wifi only device.

Enjoy your new tablet!

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
T-mobile offers free data for life. It's 200mb a month but it's useful in a pinch.

Do they still offer that? I didn't see it when I was looking on the website.

I could not live with a wifi only device. I mean, I have an iTouch ... For music when I workout. Otherwise, with my lifestyle, cellular is a must.
For work and play, I'm always in places where wifi is not available, I need to do searches rapidly, communicate with coworkers and family etc.
There's no way I'd be able to do all that effectively and in a timely manner with a wifi only device.

Enjoy your new tablet!

It always to be that way with me too. So many places have free wifi but I'm never at any of them. Really defeats the purpose since I've been using my Ipad alot more than my phone since I got it.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Do they still offer that? I didn't see it when I was looking on the website.

It always to be that way with me too. So many places have free wifi but I'm never at any of them. Really defeats the purpose since I've been using my Ipad alot more than my phone since I got it.

Yes you can sign up for it on your iPad when your setting up a plan through your iPad with the apple sim.

Personally I wouldn't use public wifi for security reasons

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234