Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Wifi or Cellular?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wifi

    0 0%
  • Cellular

    4 100.00%
  • Turnip

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42
Like Tree9Likes
  1. #26  
    GeoK's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    I was just gonna ask this question. thanks to the OP for asking before I did.

    The AT&T use on the Apple SIM? It locks it? What is AT&T thinking? has that been fixed?

    Is 200mb free for life for current phone users of TMobile, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    The one thing with the Apple sim is that your basically stuck with Sprint or T-Mobile or some new International new carrier. AT&T is on it but it locks the sim card so you can't switch. Also when you choose sprint or T-Mobile you can't choose AT&T then later.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. #27  
    JOSH_WH1TE's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    If your phone carrier supports tethering then you could connect a wifi only iPad to your phones personal hotspot.
  3. #28  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoK View Post
    I was just gonna ask this question. thanks to the OP for asking before I did.

    The AT&T use on the Apple SIM? It locks it? What is AT&T thinking? has that been fixed?

    Is 200mb free for life for current phone users of TMobile, right?

    Yes it locks it and no its not fixed because it's not broken. Just a bad decision by AT&T.



    You don't need to be a current T-mobile customer to use it. I have Sprint as my phone carrier.

    Quote Originally Posted by JOSH_WH1TE View Post
    If your phone carrier supports tethering then you could connect a wifi only iPad to your phones personal hotspot.
    It also kills your battery life. For $130 you have the choice of using it if you ever need it plus GPS


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. #29  
    GeoK's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    That lock happens with the AT&T SIM card or the Apple one?

    So, just removing it for another will not work?

    Where can I find a link for the TMobile free data?


    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Yes it locks it and no its not fixed because it's not broken. Just a bad decision by AT&T.



    You don't need to be a current T-mobile customer to use it. I have Sprint as my phone carrier.



    It also kills your battery life. For $130 you have the choice of using it if you ever need it plus GPS


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. #30  
    GeoK's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    The cellular version works well?
    What service are you using?

    Quote Originally Posted by terreos View Post
    Yeah enough people have convinced me it would be worth it to me to have the ability even if I don't need it.
  6. #31  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoK View Post
    That lock happens with the AT&T SIM card or the Apple one?

    So, just removing it for another will not work?

    Where can I find a link for the TMobile free data?
    There's no actual sim lock on iPad. My bad if this is what you thought. The Apple sim gets locked to AT&T. That means you can't use sprint or T-Mobile with that same sim card. You would need to buy a new Apple sim ($4.99) or get a sim from Sprint or T-Mobile. You need to get one from verzion anyways


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. #32  
    GeoK's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Thanks Closinggracer! You are correct. The Apple SIM would be locked to AT&T but not the iPad.
    Thank goodness

    I just saw this and wanted to share it with you all.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 9.44.33 AM.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	85720

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    There's no actual sim lock on iPad. My bad if this is what you thought. The Apple sim gets locked to AT&T. That means you can't use sprint or T-Mobile with that same sim card. You would need to buy a new Apple sim ($4.99) or get a sim from Sprint or T-Mobile. You need to get one from verzion anyways


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Closingracer likes this.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoK View Post
    The cellular version works well?
    What service are you using?
    I've been loving my iPad since everyone convinced me that the cellular version was worth it if I could afford it. I primary use my home wifi or hotspot from my phone. I use T-mobile. And I do have the free data plan for my iPad Air. And it works fine. No worse or better than my phone. I'll be taking a trip over the weekend to Maryland so I will being using my data while I'm away. So I'll find out how good t-mobile is away from home.
    Closingracer likes this.
  9. #34  
    GeoK's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Awesome!
    Let us know that roaming trip with TMobile worked out?

    Quote Originally Posted by terreos View Post
    I've been loving my iPad since everyone convinced me that the cellular version was worth it if I could afford it. I primary use my home wifi or hotspot from my phone. I use T-mobile. And I do have the free data plan for my iPad Air. And it works fine. No worse or better than my phone. I'll be taking a trip over the weekend to Maryland so I will being using my data while I'm away. So I'll find out how good t-mobile is away from home.
  10. #35  
    RobRM's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Cellular all the way, I got the wifi version first and found I was always wasting time trying to tether, it just wasn't that convenient and easy to use
    Closingracer likes this.
  11. #36  
    bork_michael's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by terreos View Post
    I wasn't even aware of that. Just looked that up and I'm blown away by that. That's a really clever idea. I love it!



    Yeah enough people have convinced me it would be worth it to me to have the ability even if I don't need it.



    Forewarned I read your story. :-p

    That all makes sense and I did end up grabbing a Cellular version of the Ipad Air 2. So all is good in the world.
    I also went for the cellular version for another reason. Yeah it's nice for an emergency, but as I upgrade every year, I get a better return on the cellular versions.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. #37  
    ChuckG73's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    If I have my phone, do I need to buy cellular or can I just use my phone as a hotspot?
  13. #38  
    Evilguppy's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,839 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    If I have my phone, do I need to buy cellular or can I just use my phone as a hotspot?
    You could do that but it's tough on battery life.
  14. #39  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    If I have my phone, do I need to buy cellular or can I just use my phone as a hotspot?
    It kills battery plus you'll need a plan that includes it ( T-Mobile)* or need to pay extra for it ( everybody else )*.


    * this is for the United States carriers at least the big four carriers


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #40  
    terreos's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Is the resale value on a cellular version really that good? Too be honest I'll probably keep my iPad until it dies on me or they had something insane. . .
  16. #41  
    Closingracer's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,616 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,803 Global Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    Quote Originally Posted by terreos View Post
    Is the resale value on a cellular version really that good? Too be honest I'll probably keep my iPad until it dies on me or they had something insane. . .
    Idk but I'm planning on keeping my Air 2 for a while


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. #42  
    Dazza7111's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: IPad Air 2 Wifi or Cellular?

    After going from ipad air 2 wifi only to a cellular version the wifi signal seems better at work. Wonder if plastic strip helps?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2015, 09:29 AM
  2. Why is the audio record feature of my iPad not working?
    By iMore Question in forum Apple Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2015, 08:51 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions