Will Apple ever consider selling an i-Device with 256 GB of storage?

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, it will definitely happen in the near future. Historically, I was a 32gb user user until the launch of the 6. Now I have 64gb phones and 64gb tablets. We never run out of space. But I could see a market for those who are power users upgrading to a 256gb model.

Excuse my thumbs as they tap away on my "6" #SwipeLife

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
No matter what platform you are using, or whether or not you are using SD cards, you should always use a cloud back up service for your photos. Bad things can happen, even on iPhone. If you're not already, you might want to consider using iCloud to back up your photos. There are other options too, aside from iCloud. Personally, I use Onedrive. I'm pretty sure that Facebook is another option.

+1

I actually have my photos saved to more then 1 cloud lol. On my iPad I have them saved on iCloud, one drive , box and Dropbox. In my note 4 I save them to all those but iCloud obviously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I do back up my files just not daily and with 2 brand new infants backing up my phone wasn't a priority lol. SD cards have a FAR better chance and worse track record for corrupting than actual hard drives on phones. Yes bad things can happen but they r far more likely to happen when ur using an SD card.

Eh I have been an android user for phones for like 4 years now and never had this issue with Samsung micro sd cards. My San disk one didn't get corrupted but just died on me but it was all saved. Have this Samsung pro one for about a year almost and works great.

I've had SD cards the regular sized ones for years and never had issues with those personally.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, it will definitely happen in the near future. Historically, I was a 32gb user user until the launch of the 6. Now I have 64gb phones and 64gb tablets. We never run out of space. But I could see a market for those who are power users upgrading to a 256gb model.

Excuse my thumbs as they tap away on my "6" #SwipeLife

Hopefully soon I need more space lol

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I switched from iPhone to Android because of micro SD cards and have just recently switched back to iPhone for the same reason. I've had way too many SD cards corrupt over the years and loose too many important pictures most recently the ones of my infant twins. I will never buy a phone and have to use an SD card ever again. SD cards r garbage.

On board storage is always preferable to SD cards imo. I also switched to android partly due to SD cards. I've also had a few fail on me which sucks. Not everything can be stored on the SD card i.e apps and if I had a 16GB android device, even with a 128GB micro SD card installed I'd still be running out of space on the device because I didn't have enough space for apps. Some times SD cards can effect the performance of a device. Never happened to me but I've heard of it slowing other people's devices down or causing other performance issues. SD cards are also a potential security risk. Unless you have some way of encrypting the data on them/password locking it then if your phone is lost or stolen people can still access the data on the card. You may have a password that prevents people from getting into your phone but nothing stops people from popping out the SD card and using it.

Once the iPhone 6 plus was announced with 128GB of internal storage, android lost it's advantage of expandable storage as onboard storage is always a better option for me. Most of the android OEM's seem to be doing away with SD cards anyway. Even Samsung are.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
On board storage is always preferable to SD cards imo. I also switched to android partly due to SD cards. I've also had a few fail on me which sucks. Not everything can be stored on the SD card i.e apps and if I had a 16GB android device, even with a 128GB micro SD card installed I'd still be running out of space on the device because I didn't have enough space for apps. Some times SD cards can effect the performance of a device. Never happened to me but I've heard of it slowing other people's devices down or causing other performance issues. SD cards are also a potential security risk. Unless you have some way of encrypting the data on them/password locking it then if your phone is lost or stolen people can still access the data on the card. You may have a password that prevents people from getting into your phone but nothing stops people from popping out the SD card and using it.

Once the iPhone 6 plus was announced with 128GB of internal storage, android lost it's advantage of expandable storage as onboard storage is always a better option for me. Most of the android OEM's seem to be doing away with SD cards anyway. Even Samsung are.

You can save apps onto the micro sd card again at least with my note 4 you can.

As far as security risk ....you can take my music or movies because that's all that's stored along with apps

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
You can save apps onto the micro sd card again at least with my note 4 you can.

As far as security risk ....you can take my music or movies because that's all that's stored along with apps

On my S5 and Galaxy tab pro 10.1 I was limited in what I could store on my SD card. Not all apps could be stored on the SD card and sometimes, the data transfer was messy. Stuff left on the device and stuff moved across to the SD card.

It worked great before Kit Kat. However I was still limited when I only had 16GB of internal storage. It's better on the notes as they have 32GB of storage.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
On my S5 and Galaxy tab pro 10.1 I was limited in what I could store on my SD card. Not all apps could be stored on the SD card and sometimes, the data transfer was messy. Stuff left on the device and stuff moved across to the SD card.

It worked great before Kit Kat. However I was still limited when I only had 16GB of internal storage. It's better on the notes as they have 32GB of storage.

Oh I know I have the note 4 and at least with its ROM they allow apps to be saved on sd cards and for me never been a mess or an issue . Ymmv

WP7Nettwerk

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I have 128Gb version iPhone 6 Plus. And for me is enought. 256Gb will be good if you gonna take video in 4k resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
256GB seems unlikely. If anything Apple will encourage users to store more in iCloud by increasing the amount of free space available and decreasing the current price of their storage tiers.

stewm

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Got to agree with PortCity79! When I purchased my first iPhone, waiting like a dumbass until the iPhone was available with Verizon, I purchased the 32GB model iPhone 4. Then since I never used that 32 GB I got the 16GB iPad 2 and iPhone 5 and regretted it. I left Verizon and switched to T-Mobile and started using the Nexus 5 via Google with 32GB memory and used that for a year. I switched to the iPhone 6+ and got 128GB. So far I've used 31.5GB of the space, allowing me to keep all my audiobooks purchases local and with the WiFi calling I can get away with staying at T-Mobile.

Now if I was limited to space and had better local I would keep my music purchases in the cloud and as quality of T-Mobile's service improves I would say that it may be the case but I being a frugal memory person who has realized that his Mac usage can live within 128GB and the iPhone usage can suitably keep within the 64GB usage I would suspect that the increase to 128GB memory on the iPhone and having 64GB and then dropping to just 16GB was purely a financial reasoning and that it was really cheap for 16GB, as cheap for 64GB as 32GB and 128GB memory was cheaper than 64GB used to be and maybe if/when 256GB memory becomes so cheap that it is more cost effect to have 256GB has the top level memory the 16GB will become the new year-2 discount price and 64GB will be the base memory with an emphasis on using cloud and 128 will be the mid-tier model.

I think though that it's more about centralizing storage and pushing the use of cloud storage. Apple is really investing in having their own servers and if you look at Google and Android and Microsoft they are both focusing on centralizing data. Having one copy of music or video stored centrally is how they are heading. Think about it -- a single copy of a particular song stored centrally and streamed takes up the space of that single copy -- and of course if you look at AT&T and Verizon they are moving to offering bigger and bigger data allocations on contract and smaller carriers, in the USA at least, are focusing on more data or offset's such as free audio streaming, that facilitate the move towards more cloud based storage rather than local storage.

For me at least for the time being I still look at the local storage and opt for a higher capacity but that may change over the coming year or two.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
256GB seems unlikely. If anything Apple will encourage users to store more in iCloud by increasing the amount of free space available and decreasing the current price of their storage tiers.

Screw iCloud or any cloud ....I want my music and videos stored since I have a bucket data plan. A 256gb iPad isn't that hard to give us

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Got to agree with PortCity79! When I purchased my first iPhone, waiting like a dumbass until the iPhone was available with Verizon, I purchased the 32GB model iPhone 4. Then since I never used that 32 GB I got the 16GB iPad 2 and iPhone 5 and regretted it. I left Verizon and switched to T-Mobile and started using the Nexus 5 via Google with 32GB memory and used that for a year. I switched to the iPhone 6+ and got 128GB. So far I've used 31.5GB of the space, allowing me to keep all my audiobooks purchases local and with the WiFi calling I can get away with staying at T-Mobile.

Now if I was limited to space and had better local I would keep my music purchases in the cloud and as quality of T-Mobile's service improves I would say that it may be the case but I being a frugal memory person who has realized that his Mac usage can live within 128GB and the iPhone usage can suitably keep within the 64GB usage I would suspect that the increase to 128GB memory on the iPhone and having 64GB and then dropping to just 16GB was purely a financial reasoning and that it was really cheap for 16GB, as cheap for 64GB as 32GB and 128GB memory was cheaper than 64GB used to be and maybe if/when 256GB memory becomes so cheap that it is more cost effect to have 256GB has the top level memory the 16GB will become the new year-2 discount price and 64GB will be the base memory with an emphasis on using cloud and 128 will be the mid-tier model.

I think though that it's more about centralizing storage and pushing the use of cloud storage. Apple is really investing in having their own servers and if you look at Google and Android and Microsoft they are both focusing on centralizing data. Having one copy of music or video stored centrally is how they are heading. Think about it -- a single copy of a particular song stored centrally and streamed takes up the space of that single copy -- and of course if you look at AT&T and Verizon they are moving to offering bigger and bigger data allocations on contract and smaller carriers, in the USA at least, are focusing on more data or offset's such as free audio streaming, that facilitate the move towards more cloud based storage rather than local storage.

For me at least for the time being I still look at the local storage and opt for a higher capacity but that may change over the coming year or two.

Bigger but it will cost you an arm and a leg....I'm paying $144 for 10 gb after you include phone payment , taxes and adding my tablet