iPad Air 2 freezes once a day.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I think this is probably some sort of software bug that will be corrected, but for about the last 4-5 days, once a day the iPad Air 2 freezes completely - all I can do is a hard reset. I have taken care a couple times to wait quite a while to make sure it doesn't come back, and it does not. I have had different app up when it has happened, it seems to be when they are brought up on the screen - GMail, Feedly.

I wanted to post in case anyone else has seen it. I don't think it is a hardware problem or something I have to take it back, do you? It's actually not that annoying as it only takes a few seconds to restart - it's just very un-Apple-like to me :). I can see if in future updates of apps does it goes away, is that that you would do?

MTM1977

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have used my Air 2 for 8 days now. Quite a lot usage every day and it has not frozen a single time.
So, at least i have not seen that problem so far.

joe767

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for 2 weeks and not even a stutter, must be something wrong with your unit. This thing is blazing fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Did you restore from a backup? Sometimes backups have corrupted files in them, which may be why you are having problems. My suggestion would be (if you did restore from a backup) Erase all Content and Settings, then set it up as a new iPad. :)

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. No freezes yesterday :)

The 2 biggest apps I use on my iPad and GMail and Feedly. SO along the corruption issue thought, I uninstalled and re-installed Feedly this morning, I'll see how that does, and then try Gmail next. HOWEVER, today a bug fix release came out from Feedly! Maybe that was the issue, I"ll see how she runs.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

The 2 biggest apps I use on my iPad and GMail and Feedly. SO along the corruption issue thought, I uninstalled and re-installed Feedly this morning, I'll see how that does, and then try Gmail next. HOWEVER, today a bug fix release came out from Feedly! Maybe that was the issue, I"ll see how she runs.

Just don't wait it out too long. If it's seriously freezing like that, I'd get a replacement. Who knows what could happen later?

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I have the exact problem...... and I am a big Feedly user. I have the Gmail app, but rarely use it.

rogerfromco

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Just traded my iPad 2 for an Air 2 and have seen a HUGE improvement in performance and no freezing issues like I had been having on the old one after the iOS update. Also, no issues with screen distortion due to pressure from holding it, or poor sound quality. I read all these complaints before buying and after testing several in store and this one at home wonder what all the complaints are about.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I just traded my Air for the Air 2 this afternoon. I haven't had a lot of time to play with but so far no freeze ups

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

No freezes for 5 days now - so it was either an app update that fixedit, or a reinstall of feedly. YAY!

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been averaging about 2 or 3 total freezes a day,,,, really sucks when your in the middle of a long email,,,, thinkin I might have to do an exchange, it's only a week old 128gb Air 2.

I have almost no apps on it but did load all my pictures from iCoud,,,, I'll backup all my pictures and videos onto my PC just in case of an iCould glitch.

What a pain,,,, Ive had problems with all my iPads,,, what happened to " it just works"

My Android tablets have all been problem free,,,, same with my Galaxy and Note phones, all problem free,,,,, although I never had any problems with my iPhones,,,,,, right now I'm using a Note 4 and had my first freeze on that today, the first and only problem I have ever had with a Galaxy or Note.

Cheers
Davyo

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been averaging about 2 or 3 total freezes a day,,,, really sucks when your in the middle of a long email,,,, thinkin I might have to do an exchange, it's only a week old 128gb Air 2.

I have almost no apps on it but did load all my pictures from iCoud,,,, I'll backup all my pictures and videos onto my PC just in case of an iCould glitch.

What a pain,,,, Ive had problems with all my iPads,,, what happened to " it just works"

My Android tablets have all been problem free,,,, same with my Galaxy and Note phones, all problem free,,,,, although I never had any problems with my iPhones,,,,,, right now I'm using a Note 4 and had my first freeze on that today, the first and only problem I have ever had with a Galaxy or Note.

Cheers
Davyo

I had battery issues with my note 3 after 6 months of owning it but I upgrading to the note 4 soon that I didn't care that much ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Cheers
Davyo

I can relate as I returned my 128GB iPad Air 2 on Wednesday for the same reason, and 2 other issues with it. My Air 2 was set up as new so no issues were carried over from my Air 1.
If and when Apple fixes the iOS 8.1 issues I might give the Air 2 another chance.

Sent from my 128GB iPhone 6 + using Tapatalk.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
These freezing issues are weird. Has anyone contacted Apple directly about this?

Yes, I did, and I was told to restore my iPad Air 2 and set it up as new. I told the Genius who I spoke with that I had already did that the first time and wasn't going to do it again. I returned my Air 2 instead. I went through all this with my first Air 1 and wasn't going to do it again. I don't have this problem at all with my iPhone 6 Plus. I can open tabs and use Safari for hours without any freeze ups or crashes. I think my Air 2 could have had software or hardware issues, but I didn't feel like having it exchanged right now. I might try the Mini 3 or get another Air 2 after the bugs are fixed with iOS 8.1.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I followed this advice and reset then setup as new iPad. The freezes have continued unfortunately

I did this too and it did not fix the issue with mine either. If you are within the return/exchange period you might want to try that before you are stuck with it and possibly forced to get a refurb later.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I did, and I was told to restore my iPad Air 2 and set it up as new. I told the Genius who I spoke with that I had already did that the first time and wasn't going to do it again. I returned my Air 2 instead. I went through all this with my first Air 1 and wasn't going to do it again. I don't have this problem at all with my iPhone 6 Plus. I can open tabs and use Safari for hours without any freeze ups or crashes. I think my Air 2 could have had software or hardware issues, but I didn't feel like having it exchanged right now. I might try the Mini 3 or get another Air 2 after the bugs are fixed with iOS 8.1.

That's too bad. Hopefully the next iPad you get will work and not have problems :)

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have gone 13 days without a freeze now, after seeing them almost every day prior. I think this affirms at least in my case it was either an app that got updated, or a bad install since I deleted and reinstalled one of my more popular apps (Feedly). Since an install new has not helped some people, if it's the same problem it may be a bug or bugs in app(s).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro