TouchID fingerprint reader not working well on new 2017 iPad

skm67

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Is anyone else having issues with the TouchID fingerprint reader on the new 2017 iPad? We got one recently and having lots of problems with the TouchID. Otherwise the new iPad is great and works well. I have tried deleting the fingerprint and then re-registering on the iPad but most of the time it still takes several tries or I have to key in the password. I am having no problems with the TouchID on my iPhone 6s, so I don't believe it is a problem with my fingers.

Any suggestions? or should I take it back and ask for another one?

Thanks!

S

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What kind of issues? Oh that's just issues with first generation touch I'd, but if it bothers you I would just take it in. You could also try to do a reinstall of the software over computer and set up as a new iPad again.

johnmed3

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I was also having this issue, but seems to have resolved itself maybe with usage. I have been using it a lot

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had any real problem with TouchID on my iPad, other than the "issue" of trying to readjust to the Gen 1 TouchID sensor. I'm too used to my iPhone 7, and so don't always keep my finger still on the sensor on my iPad long enough. As I've had the iPad longer, I've adjusted for the older sensor and am having the issue less and less.

If this is an actual issue, and not just tied to your being used to the 2nd gen TouchID on the iPhone 6s, then as others here recommended, make an appointment at a Genius Bar in the Apple Store and have them check it out.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I am also having several issues with the Touch ID sensor. it is very slow and inaccurate and I often end up activating SIRI because of how long I have to keep my finger on the button to get a correct fingerprint on the few occasions it does get it right. I often end up resorting to the pin because of this

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 7 Plus I can say that I've been wondering why it was taking so long to read my fingerprint and unlock and I just learned on this thread that is because it has the old TouchID, well, I must be honest if I knew that before buying I may not have got it, but now that I have it I think that for the price I paid ($280 New No Box from Swappa) I can make that compromise.

At least now I know why it's so slow unlocking and can adjust to that.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 7 Plus I can say that I've been wondering why it was taking so long to read my fingerprint and unlock and I just learned on this thread that is because it has the old TouchID, well, I must be honest if I knew that before buying I may not have got it, but now that I have it I think that for the price I paid ($280 New No Box from Swappa) I can make that compromise.

At least now I know why it's so slow unlocking and can adjust to that.

Actually, all the iPads (that I'm aware of) still use the Gen 1 fingerprint sensor, even the Pro models. I suspect this is part of the reason the 5th-Gen (new) iPad didn't get the 2nd Gen sensor, they didn't want to give it a feature that wasn't on the iPad Pro, as well as to help keep the price lower. When Apple finally announces the updated Pro models, that have been rumored since about February, that they will finally have the 2nd Gen sensors.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed that screen orientation has a great deal to do with the fingerprints and how the iPad senses them.

During setup I entered my fingerprints in portrait view, but 99% of the time I use landscape view (which was hard to get use to). I had endless issues with the fingerprint sensor and ended up tapping in my 6 digit code to get into my iPad.

On a whim I deleted all fingerprints and redid them in landscape view. Not a single issue with the sensor, and it's quick and effortless getting into my iPad now.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I noticed this as well, and when I realized it's using the 1st gen sensor that made sense (was lifting off too soon). I didn't come to Apple until the 6s+ and the debut of the 2nd gen sensors so I've never had any experience with the older one other than reading they're a lot slower. I also usually end up adding multiple fingerprints. I don't know what it is about my right thumb, maybe cause I'm right handed and occasionally some dry skin or whatever messes with the print and it will just eventually stop working on both iPhones I've had (only had the iPad a day so I don't know how that's going to fare). So I usually set up at least the left thumb as well, and that one has never failed on either my 6s+ or now my 7+.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711