What iPad to buy?

shane10

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, in the market for a new iPad. Just sold my 3rd gen. was looking at the pro 9.7 however price is a bit off putting. Keen on the new iPad 9.7 announced last week and price point is great, however is paying extra for the screen and speakers really worth it? Don't really use the camera, used mainly for general web surfing, some reading and watching shows.
Thanks!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello @shane10! Thanks for signing up to iMore! :D

For some people the better speakers,upgraded screen and better camera is really important but if you are just using it for general web surfing, some reading and watching shows. I'm sure you will be more than happy with the NEW iPad (2017) :) The upgraded processor also means the device will be supported for longer. Let us know what your decision is.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

This article pretty much sums it all up. I'm a ProAV integrator so I use mine a lot for work. I have several design apps like what you see the folks using on HGTV, but mine are more for designing and installing pro audio and video equipment. Plus the Apple Pencil is nice, which is why I went with the iPad Pro 9.7".

If you're just going to "play", like email, movies and music, the new 2017 iPad should be just fine for your needs.

Hope this helps.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I think you've pretty much answered your own question. If all you're doing is web, reading, and movies...the usual "iPad things" that non-pro users use their iPad for, then save your money and get the 2017 iPad. For those purposes, the screen and speakers from the Pro are nice to have, but not a must, especially considering the extra money.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with BlackBerry Guy. I was in a similar position to you -- though I had an old Air and I needed more storage, as well as it starting to bog down at times. I just couldn't justify the extra price on the iPad Pro. I won't use the Pen or the Keyboard -- and I have a Bluetooth Keyboard that works great with the iPad, if I want it. While the stereo sound is a nice feature on the Pro, I rarely listen to music from the iPad speakers; I typically listen to music through headphones or will use a Bluetooth speaker, and the Pro speakers don't compare to external speakers. Last, while I've had to limit what I put on my iPad because I've been out of storage, 128 GB is plenty of storage, I don't need the 256 GB you can get on the Pro.

I've bought the new iPad and am very happy with it. It has been a nice upgrade from my Air, it feels much faster and I've had no issues. Since the Air also didn't have the laminated screen or anti-reflective coating, I don't miss not having it and the screen still looks very good. Also, I'm likely going to add a screen protector that will add the anti-reflective coating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice