iPad 2017 or iPad Air 2?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking at updating my iPad Air (original). My biggest issue is a lack of storage, I only have a 32GB iPad, I'm looking at upgrading to the 128GB. From what I'm seeing, I can buy a "leftover" new iPad Air 2 for roughly the same price as a new iPad, just trying to decide which is the better option.

The advantage for the new iPad is the faster processor; if I'm going to upgrade, having a newer generation processor seems like it would be an advantage in terms of how long it will continue being updated by Apple.

OTOH, the Air 2 has the laminated screen and non-reflective coating. Coming from an Air, I won't miss them if I buy an iPad, but it is and advantage to buying an Air 2.

The size difference is a non-issue to me, especially coming from an Air. I can't think of many other real differences between the two. I do wonder if the new iPad has the new iTouch sensor, or still has the older and slower sensor (like every other iPad).

Just curious what people here think, for a similar price, would you prefer the Air 2 or the new iPad; and how much extra would you pay for your choice?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the lamination and coating are not something you must have then buying the new iPad may be a better option.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this will sway you, but at the moment Best Buy is giving $150 credits towards the purchase of the new iPad when you trade in your old one, plus a $25 gift card with the purchase (not off the price).

https://slickdeals.net/f/9897052-ne...28gb-32gb-25-gc-279-179-or-less-with-trade-in

Yes, I've looked at that. The $150 is just for turning in the old iPad, from what I've read in the terms, it can be used to buy anything. The iPad Air 2 is about $399 (128GB), the new iPad is about $429; so if you count the $25 gift card as a discount, the two are about the same price.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would always say buy the new tech, even if its 'lower spec'd' :) It looks like you are someone who takes care of your Apple products and keeps them for quite a long time. So based on that, having a newer processor will allow you to keep up to date with the newest software and be supported for longer. Im sure there will be great deals on the iPad Air 2 but don't fall to temptation haha :D

While i know you were not originally thinking about it, thought i might just mention it. If you get the iPad Pro 9.7" it will have all the things your current iPad has and more. Just something to think about. I know this is a price sensitive purchase so its probably not being considered which is understandable.

AppleFriend3

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I think that choosing between the new Ipad 2017 and Ipad Air 2 is tough. But I think the new Ipad 2017 is better despite its weaknesses because it has a more faster and stronger processor which is beneficial for the long run.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPad Air as well, and the iPad 2017 is perfect for me. Like you said, I won't miss the laminated screen or thinness... but I will be enjoying the Touch ID and the improved camera like the Air 2... and the even faster A9 processor.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
If I were you I would get the new iPad. You could use the same cases you used for the original iPad Air, while getting a much faster processor which would last longer.
It has the old touch sensor btw☹️

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought the new iPad yesterday and am quite happy with it, so far. I think most people would have a hard time being able to tell if it is an iPad or an Air 2 if they were just handed one of them, it really isn't that much larger. Looking at reviews, many have been surprised at just how fast the processor is -- while no quite as fast as the iPad Pro, it does appear to be within 10% of the speed, and it is faster than the Air 2. The screen is very good looking, bright, with good colors, though you can tell it is missing the lamination if you look at it from the side. I'm considering adding a screen protector for the anti-reflective coating, though the advantage of not being laminated is that the front glass is much cheaper to replace (since you don't necessarily have to replace the LED screen).

If I were you I would get the new iPad. You could use the same cases you used for the original iPad Air, while getting a much faster processor which would last longer.
It has the old touch sensor btw☹️

The original Air cases (meaning they cover the back and aren't just a cover) do not work on the new iPad. Since it is missing the Mute (orientation lock) switch that the Air had, the volume controls are higher on the body. The camera is slightly closer to the edge of the iPad than in the Air, so is off center. Last, the speaker grill is a single row of holes (like the Air 2) rather than the 2 row of holes that the Air had, so don't line up correctly (if the Air case had holes rather than the bottom cut out).

My iPad apparently has a very good Touch sensor, it is quite fast. I can agree it is an old one but the "delay" seems to be a second or less. I owned an iPad Pro 9.7, for a week or so, and my experience with my iPad sensor is better than what I had with that Pro.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711