Is the new 2017 iPad really an upgrade from the iPad Air 2?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As indicated by the thread title, is the new 2017 9.7" iPad really an upgrade from the iPad Air 2? What say you?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to look at the specs yet. My Air 2 is running just fine still though. I'll probably be to check it out tomorrow while flying.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This new iPad doesn't have the fully laminate display that the Air 2 or iPad Pro has. It's also is heavy and thick as the Air 1. Better processor? Yes but the Air 2 processor handles just fine. Is it really an upgrade? No. It's a way that they can sell an iPad for cheaper.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

Its got a higher number so it has to be better :D haha. The battery size also increased a little from 27.62Wh to 32.4Wh so that should help a little. Especially with a more efficient processor. So would it be worth paying $300+ for the new iPad (2017), probably not. Rather save up for the next iPad Pro 9.7" later this year :)

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well it's not really an upgrade as much as its a refresh. A bump in processor and a slight improvement in battery but a step back on physical dimensions. The pricing however is the biggest change. Anyone looking to buy a new iPad should definitely go for this if they want an affordable iPad. For People with iPad Air 2, This is definitely not worth buying .

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It is not an upgrade. Think of the new iPad as the equivalent of the iPhone SE. If you had an iPhone 6 (iPad Air 2) you would upgrade to the 7 (iPad Pro). If you were coming for something much older or looking for something cheap then you go to the iPhone SE (iPad 2017)

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Air 2 has been a dud imo, speaker vibration, screen distortion, screen bleed common, i just got a pro 9.7 that has none of that, so i would get the new iPad over the Air 2 if you don't need the pro tools.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It has a better processor but the upgrades stop there. The new iPad is designed and priced to sell to the masses, that simply want an iPad and aren't concerned with things like a laminated display and an unnoticeable amount of added bulk. Most of these users can't even tell the difference between the display on their current iPad 2 and a Retina display.

This iPad isn't supposed to be an upgrade to the Air 2. It's designed and priced to win back education and sell like hot cakes overseas. Those who want the higher specs will either stick with their Air 2 or get a Pro.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It has a better processor but the upgrades stop there. The new iPad is designed and priced to sell to the masses, that simply want an iPad and aren't concerned with things like a laminated display and an unnoticeable amount of added bulk. Most of these users can't even tell the difference between the display on their current iPad 2 and a Retina display.

This iPad isn't supposed to be an upgrade to the Air 2. It's designed and priced to win back education and sell like hot cakes overseas. Those who want the higher specs will either stick with their Air 2 or get a Pro.

It does have a couple of other advantages, such as better Bluetooth (such as having LE) and the cellular version supports more frequencies/bands. Also, the screen is noticeably brighter, despite the lamination and lack of anti reflective coating. While the upgrades are minimal, and despite the loss of lamination and screen coating, the new iPad is a better deal.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The slightly better processor could be considered an upgrade but I don't imagine the enhancements will be noticed by anyone in real world use. So I have trouble calling it an upgrade. I think it's just a new low budget entry to increase sales.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The slightly better processor could be considered an upgrade but I don't imagine the enhancements will be noticed by anyone in real world use. So I have trouble calling it an upgrade. I think it's just a new low budget entry to increase sales.

Exactly. They've been losing in education. This is their attempt to regain lost market.

THX010

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
So I am sporting a 32 GB "New iPad" (iPad 3) with zero issues. I can deal with the slower processor and non-lightning cable. It works.

Is it worth upgrading and passing this down to the daughter? Or just wait. I am patient.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
So I am sporting a 32 GB "New iPad" (iPad 3) with zero issues. I can deal with the slower processor and non-lightning cable. It works.

Is it worth upgrading and passing this down to the daughter? Or just wait. I am patient.

You don't really give us much to work with, so it is really hard to know if it would be worth it, to you. However, it would be a substantial upgrade.

Compared to the iPad 3, the new iPad is smaller, lighter, has a fingerprint sensor, has a brighter screen, has a much faster processor, has 2 GB of RAM compared to the 1GB in your iPad, and has better front and back cameras. It also has newer WiFi antennas, which will support much faster WiFi speeds. It should be a huge improvement for you. It may or may not have more storage, depending on the storage of your current iPad (which had a maximum of 64GB) and if you buy the 32GB or 128GB iPad.

Whether you feel it is worth it depends on how you use your iPad, particularly if you might do more with your iPad if it had better capabilities. It also would depend if the iPad is good enough, or if you don't mind paying the extra $270 for an iPad Pro with the extra features.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Compared to the iPad 3, the new iPad is smaller, lighter, has a fingerprint sensor, has a brighter screen, has a much faster processor, has 2 GB of RAM compared to the 1GB in your iPad, and has better front and back cameras. It also has newer WiFi antennas, which will support much faster WiFi speeds.

Touch ID was a huge improvement for me when updating to the iPad Air 2 from my iPad Mini.

anon(10004440)

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
It is not an upgrade. Think of the new iPad as the equivalent of the iPhone SE. If you had an iPhone 6 (iPad Air 2) you would upgrade to the 7 (iPad Pro). If you were coming for something much older or looking for something cheap then you go to the iPhone SE (iPad 2017)

I like that description. Cuts to the chase.

I see the iPad as the one I get my wife, kids or parents, none of whom will ever notice the screen or performance differences that I would. And the iPad Pro line is for those of us that either like to have or need the extra performance and features.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I actually think the real explanation is that the iPad Pro, particularly the 9.7" version, is considered the upgrade for the Air 2. The "iPad," which Apple even refers to as the 5th generation iPad, is actually the upgraded iPad 4. While I expect Apple to carry on two lines, the "iPad" as the more home oriented iPad, and the Pro as the business-oriented iPad; but I could see the rumored 10.5" iPad being the Pro line, and the upgrades to the current Pro models becoming a mid-tier "Air".

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Those are the reasons I bought the new iPad last night. I'm not really concerned with those things as my only use for it is viewing pdf sewing patterns, viewing sewing class videos from Craftsy, and watching downloaded tv shows or movies on plane trips. My iPhone 6s is too small to see these things, and my laptop is too bulky. The 9.7 inch tablet is absolutely perfect for my personal needs, and the price point is, well, on point. ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR