If you were in the market for a new iPad, would the new 2017 model iPad be a consideration? For me, it would not be, but I'd consider it if it were a gift for someone else. What about you?
    03-22-2017 04:30 PM
    If you were in the market for a new iPad, would the new 2017 model iPad be a consideration? For me, it would not be, but I'd consider it if it were a gift for someone else. What about you?
    I'm actually really considering it. The only purpose any iPad would serve for me is bedtime reading/browsing, couch surfing, or car rides. This would be perfect. I don't want to make a crazy investment so to go all in for under $400 or under $500 is much more appealing than $700 or $800.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-22-2017 07:44 PM
    I'm actually really considering it. The only purpose any iPad would serve for me is bedtime reading/browsing, couch surfing, or car rides. This would be perfect. I don't want to make a crazy investment so to go all in for under $400 or under $500 is much more appealing than $700 or $800.
    It makes sense to me so I say go for it....
    Rob Phillips and Annie_i6s like this.
    03-22-2017 07:46 PM
    $429 for 128 GB is a really great deal and it's a nice upgrade from the Air 2.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    03-22-2017 08:10 PM
    I'm 99% sure I'm getting the 2017 iPad. Best Buy is doing a trade-in deal, minimum $150 (could be more depending on exact model) for iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 2 3 or 4... plus an additional $25 gift card.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-22-2017 08:14 PM
    It's a great price point. But doesn't it not have the fully laminated screen that the air 2 has? And thicker and heavier? I know it has a few spec bumps but because the screen and thickness/weight, I'd rather have the Air 2. I know apple said the screen is now brighter and I've heard that with iPhone 6 and couldn't tell a difference from the previous version. I know what each person says is just opinion but I disagree on the nice upgrade.
    03-22-2017 08:22 PM
    I'm 99% sure I'm getting the 2017 iPad. Best Buy is doing a trade-in deal, minimum $150 (could be more depending on exact model) for iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 2 3 or 4... plus an additional $25 gift card.
    I saw that. My wife has an iPad 4 she doesn't use. Kind of mad I can't trade it in for anything.
    MSUSpartan likes this.
    03-22-2017 08:24 PM
    Here's an article to explain the different screen https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/844719709119561729
    03-22-2017 08:25 PM
    It's a great price point. But doesn't it not have the fully laminated screen that the air 2 has? And thicker and heavier? I know it has a few spec bumps but because the screen and thickness/weight, I'd rather have the Air 2. I know apple said the screen is now brighter and I've heard that with iPhone 6 and couldn't tell a difference from the previous version. I know what each person says is just opinion but I disagree on the nice upgrade.
    They went back to the original iPad Air weight and thickness. I'm sure there's a reason behind it but, in typical Apple fashion, they aren't exactly forthcoming with the reason why. The size difference is pretty small. No longer laminating the display and glass could only be a cost-cutting measure.

Still, I don't think the majority of users will notice. Those who would will most likely go for the more expensive Pro models anyway.
    Last edited by Rob Phillips; 03-22-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    03-22-2017 08:39 PM
    They went back to the original iPad Air weight and thickness. I'm sure there's a reason behind it but, in typical Apple fashion, they aren't exactly forthcoming with the reason why. It's size difference is pretty small. No longer laminating the display and glass could only be a cost-cutting measure.

Still, I don't think the majority of users will notice. Those who would will most likely go for the more expensive Pro models anyway.
    It's definitely cost cutting. The only way I could see them doing a 9.7 iPad for $329.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    03-22-2017 09:50 PM
    I think it would purely come down to cost. If i couldn't afford the 'Pro' model then i would get the 'Standard' 9.7" version So its not that i don't want it but just want the best i can afford. I'm sure both will meet my needs perfectly but having more power out the gate means you can keep the device for longer. Also the 'Pro' model has a pretty awesome screen with Wide colour (P3).

The only thing i really don't like is the front facing camera. Practically useless at 1mp in resolution lol
    03-23-2017 11:26 AM
    They went back to the original iPad Air weight and thickness. I'm sure there's a reason behind it but, in typical Apple fashion, they aren't exactly forthcoming with the reason why. The size difference is pretty small. No longer laminating the display and glass could only be a cost-cutting measure.

This is what you're **not** getting with the 2017 iPad compared to the Air 2....

A laminated display makes iPad Air 2 much thinner - FlatpanelsHD

Non-laminated display means that there is a gap between the LCD and the glass.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    03-23-2017 04:29 PM
    I'm waiting/hoping the rumored 10.5" is a Pro version.
    Good Luck
    03-23-2017 07:22 PM
    I'm waiting/hoping the rumored 10.5" is a Pro version.
    Good Luck
    I'd think it would be, which is why it isn't rolling out with the new iPad "Nothing".
    03-23-2017 07:30 PM
    I'm in the market for one but this isn't an option. I'll be waiting to see what's in store for the iPad Pro. I'm in no rush.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    03-25-2017 01:42 PM
    I am on the market.
    I am getting one.
    I am getting a family member one too.
    People I tell about it are interested.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-25-2017 01:49 PM
    People I tell about it are interested.
    Yep, because it has a great deal of mass market appeal. Most tablet users don't care about laminated displays or a slight bit more bulk. They want something affordable and they'll use it until the battery stops charging or it just dies.
    nikkisharif and aximtreo like this.
    03-25-2017 08:38 PM
    Yep, because it has a great deal of mass market appeal. Most tablet users don't care about laminated displays or a slight bit more bulk. They want something affordable and they'll use it until the battery stops charging or it just dies.
    I agree. As much as a lot of us in here see the flaws because we want the best of the best, I think this is a great move for Apple. This will get iPads in a lot of hands that otherwise may not have been in the market. You can get the latest iPad at the price of basically a throwaway Chromebook. $329 for a lot of people makes a lot more sense for a product like this compared with $599 for the lowest level 9.7" Pro.
    03-25-2017 09:00 PM
    I agree. As much as a lot of us in here see the flaws because we want the best of the best, I think this is a great move for Apple. This will get iPads in a lot of hands that otherwise may not have been in the market. You can get the latest iPad at the price of basically a throwaway Chromebook. $329 for a lot of people makes a lot more sense for a product like this compared with $599 for the lowest level 9.7" Pro.
    While I agree, we really need to compare the 2017 iPad to older iPads. For a low price, you are getting:

- a lightning port (one less cable to carry)
    - a better charger for your phone
    - a Retina display
    - Touch ID
    - a 64-bit processor*
    - a bigger screen (than the mini)
    - Handoff/Airdrop (modern Bluetooth)
    - ad blockers
    - and, most importantly, **twice** the storage!

* And avoid the headaches of relatives not being able to use security updates!
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-25-2017 10:24 PM
    I forgot split screen multitasking, blast it! >.< That's a big one. I'm looking forward to that.
    03-27-2017 02:11 AM
    I'm considering also, I currently have the Ipad Mini 4 with 128gb, I use it mostly for reading comics from comixology and my on library and I really don't want to spend Pro money to do that, the Mini is already not laminated and has an A8, so its an upgrade. I can trade the Mini for at least $225 and the upgrade isn't more from that
    03-27-2017 11:21 AM
    I'll keep my Air 2. If I was in the market now, I would still buy an Air 2. Lighter and thinner, better screen, and it's fast for me.
    03-29-2017 08:23 PM