Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Default Any apps/games actually take advantage of the iPad 4's processor over the 3?

(yes, I've searched on this topic at some length)

So, finding myself on the fence as to whether I want to replace my trusty Android tablet with an iPad. Eternal question, of course, is whether to get the 3 or the 4?

I'm honestly not that familiar with what 'high end' games exist for the iPad. I know of the Infinity Blade series and some FPS's.

One game that I KNOW I will be getting is Auralux, (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aura...0l3Vy&ct=vb_im) which can get a little laggy on my current tablet when you have several thousand units on the screen.

Has anyone else ran into a game (or other app) that actually gets benefit out of the A6 vs. the A5? I'd hate to get the 3, then kick myself that some apps can't run well on it when the 4 would have only been a little bit more.

Muchas gracias, and such.

Global Posts
    22,467 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Any apps/games actually take advantage of the iPad 4's processor over the 3?

I know that the games my sons play on my iPad 2 (A5 chipset) run quite smoothly. Temple Run 2, Highway Rider, Real Racing 2 & 3, to name just a few, all run smoothly and without a hiccup......Having said that, if you're going to replace your current tablet with an iPad, get the latest, if financially feasible.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

Default Re: Any apps/games actually take advantage of the iPad 4's processor over the 3?

I don't notice any lag in any games I play like 'Real Racing' or 'Infinity Blade 2'. They run rather smoothly.
    I could paint a masterpiece with all the colors of your ignorance.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayrae View Post
    I don't notice any lag in any games I play like 'Real Racing' or 'Infinity Blade 2'. They run rather smoothly.
    Which iPad do you have?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

The iPad4.
    I could paint a masterpiece with all the colors of your ignorance.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayrae View Post
    The iPad4.
    Thanks. I'm looking for, however, apps that actually tax the iPad3 (if they exist).
    iPhone Newbie

Check out you tube videos ipad3 vs ipad4 the ipad4 is faster it has the A6 CPU.
    Its well worth geting the 4th gen ipad iam dumping my transformer 300 android for the 4th gen ipad.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mulasien View Post
    (yes, I've searched on this topic at some length)

So, finding myself on the fence as to whether I want to replace my trusty Android tablet with an iPad. Eternal question, of course, is whether to get the 3 or the 4?

I'm honestly not that familiar with what 'high end' games exist for the iPad. I know of the Infinity Blade series and some FPS's.

One game that I KNOW I will be getting is Auralux, (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aura...0l3Vy&ct=vb_im) which can get a little laggy on my current tablet when you have several thousand units on the screen.

Has anyone else ran into a game (or other app) that actually gets benefit out of the A6 vs. the A5? I'd hate to get the 3, then kick myself that some apps can't run well on it when the 4 would have only been a little bit more.

Muchas gracias, and such.
    I have the ipad 3 and have found nothing that won't run fine on it. Haven't tried Auralux.

But you say that the ipad 4 would be "only a little bit more." If that's the case, spend that little bit more and get the most that you can.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Forgot to update this thread. I went ahead and got me an Apple certified refurbished 32GB iPad 4. I figure I want to futureproof myself as much as possible and not have to worry about replacing it for a couple/few years. This thing is, of course, a beast. Thanks for the input, all.
    iPhone Newbie

Get the ipad4 its much faster then the 3.i saw speed tests on YouTube the 4 is faster better cpu and its new iam replacing my transformer 300 with the ipad4
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

I already got my iPad 4, but I'm still posting in here for the benefit of others who are making the same decision.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of what I'm asking. Yes, I know that the iPad 4 has a much faster processor than the 3, I get that.

My question was: do any apps currently out there actually take advantage of the 4's speed over the 3? Are there apps that actually run slow on the 3 due to the slower processor that don't have the same problem on the 4? If everything runs perfectly smooth on the 3, than the faster processor on the 4 isn't actually being utilized, as the 3 is running it just fine.

An example would be: "I've found NOVA to actually lag here and there on the 3, but runs silky smooth on the 4"
    However: "Angry Birds runs great on both tablets" is not of much use.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mulasien View Post
    I already got my iPad 4, but I'm still posting in here for the benefit of others who are making the same decision.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of what I'm asking. Yes, I know that the iPad 4 has a much faster processor than the 3, I get that.

My question was: do any apps currently out there actually take advantage of the 4's speed over the 3? Are there apps that actually run slow on the 3 due to the slower processor that don't have the same problem on the 4? If everything runs perfectly smooth on the 3, than the faster processor on the 4 isn't actually being utilized, as the 3 is running it just fine.

An example would be: "I've found NOVA to actually lag here and there on the 3, but runs silky smooth on the 4"
    However: "Angry Birds runs great on both tablets" is not of much use.
    I don't think you'll find an answer to this question unless you can find a poorly designed app. What I find generally happens with iPad (and iPhone) is that the app simply scales to your device's capabilities. If you're using a less powerful device, the graphics fidelity will not be quite as high as on a more powerful device. Think of it like PC games, where the difference is between high and ultra settings, except with iDevices, the developer doesn't expose these options to the user. They just decide based on device.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    I don't think you'll find an answer to this question unless you can find a poorly designed app. What I find generally happens with iPad (and iPhone) is that the app simply scales to your device's capabilities. If you're using a less powerful device, the graphics fidelity will not be quite as high as on a more powerful device. Think of it like PC games, where the difference is between high and ultra settings, except with iDevices, the developer doesn't expose these options to the user. They just decide based on device.
    Ah, I did not know that apps automatically scale themselves based on the performance of the hardware. I guess that sorta answers my question.