iPad 4 Wifi problems??

born2ride41

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing the iPad 4 holding a wifi connection? I bought my iPad about a month ago and sometimes it just will not hold a connection. We have to power it off and reset maybe 2 to 3 times a week and I religiously reset my router once a week. My wife and I have iPhones as well and they never seem to have this problem just the iPad....any thoughts???

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I am sure that you will get lots of replies, but let me be the first.!

My iPad 4 (WiFi + Cellular) hold onto the WiFi like a limpet. Never had a problem with it either on my home network (Apple Airport Extreme & Express), or when connected elsewhere to WiFi.

Perhaps you could change the channel you WiFi transmits on. I have my routers set up (dual band) so that my iPad4 and iPhone5 connect to the 5Ghz band only.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well obviously nobody else is having this problem lol.

I don't have an iPad 4, but my iPad 2 has no problems holding a Wi-Fi signal, and like Wallace, my Apple TimeCapsule is dual band and my iPhone 5, iPad 2 and MacBook uses the 5 GHz frequency, whereas my e-book reader, Wi-Fi printer, Blu-Ray DVD player, etcetera uses the 2.4 GHz frequency. If your Wireless router/Access Point has that capability, give it a try. If not, did you update your iPad to the latest iOS version OTA? If so, may i recommend that you connect your device to your computer and restore as new via iTunes? Of course, backup your device beforehand.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a iPad 4 cellular and wifi and have no issue at all .. I use a airport express ..

I would try a different router first if problem persists then go to settings on iPad and reset all networks setting.
If that's a no go then restore iPad setup as new .. If all else fails then it is prob a hardware issue and you should go to apple tell them what you have done and troubleshooted and led you to be the iPad is the problem.
They will replace it on the spot

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

born2ride41

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks guys I have tried a couple different routers I am using a linksys right now. I am gonna give it a few more days and look at some setting on the router And then go from there....I may have to pay a visit to the Genius Bar if I can't get it figured out lol.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It should hold a connection on a basic setup of the router nothing fancy ..

I would try the iPad solutions I posted if not def go to apple

born2ride41

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok just wanted to update you guys I called apple support and they walks me through backing it up and doing a complete reset and said that would fix it and if it didn't I would be getting a new one. My wife said it dropped once on her but it has not for me since I did the reset so hopefully it's fixed!!!!! Thanks everyone for the Advice and Feedback!!!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok just wanted to update you guys I called apple support and they walks me through backing it up and doing a complete reset and said that would fix it and if it didn't I would be getting a new one. My wife said it dropped once on her but it has not for me since I did the reset so hopefully it's fixed!!!!! Thanks everyone for the Advice and Feedback!!!

Glad to hear also might try the complete reset and setup from new and not restore a backup sometimes the problem is actually backed up and when you reset and restore you actually put the issues right back

born2ride41

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Did complete reset and it has been a couple days now and it's has just recently started to drop wifi again. I don't understand because our iPhones are not dropping so I dunno guess I will contact apple care again.

Teefus

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have been having the same problem too.
No issues with any other connections at all, including 2 constant iphones and an ipad mini. Just the ipad4 drops with heavy internet connection. I have been getting this infrequently since Christmas, but it was more apparent when I was using a National Geographic app call fotopedia when running the slideshow which grabs the photos over the internet.

I have sent the ipad to Apple who checked it out and said there was no problem. I am in futher discussions with them and they deny this is a problem.

When it drops I go into settings and although it sees my router it doesn't connect until I click it. If I close wifi off and then re-open it it links automatically, so there is definitely an issue with the ipad4 or OS 6.1.3 or both on my system.

I am using BT Infinity 2 with 37mbs download and get 7mbs on wifi to the iphone and ipad (when connected!).

So you are not alone!

Sorry for being selfish, but I wish you were.:eek:

rileyfletcher

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Follow these steps which are as given below:

1. First of all turn off your iPad as well as also disconnect the power for 30 seconds and then restart it.
2. Now go to the Access Settings on your device, turn on Wi-Fi, locate the Wi-Fi and choose network.
3. Tap on the blue arrow next to the current wireless network
4. Tap on the DNS field and enter DNS servers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 for Open DNS or 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Google Public DNS.
5. tap on Renew Lease button

Hopefully you will get rid out from your issue for forever.

DStLouis

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Well obviously nobody else is having this problem lol.

I have a similar issue with my iPad 4. My Wifi connection often hold me waiting that it came back (it could take several minutes before it came back) .... most of the time I must reboot the iPad to be able to keep going.
Its just a pain to be hold by wifi connectivity, especially considering that a tablet with no connectivity is most likely a nuke device.

The problem is definitively my router ( a Cisco E4200 high end max performance dual band router) because of signal strength and the fact that we never get the similar issue with any of the 7-8 other devices we are using on the same connection (laptop & phones ).

Other then restarting it on a frequent basis, my work around is to stop using it and use my BlackBerry Z10 smartphone (by the way much faster then iPad).

botetourt

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Got ipad 4 last month...will not hold wifi. Sat in same place side by side all winter w ipad 1 and ipad 2 with no problem. Replaced ipad 1 with ipad 4 and it constantly drops signal. Returned it for new one...it does the same. Ipad 2 never loses signal anywhere. Hard to believe it is the router when ipad 2 works great. Is there a known problem with wireless antenna in ipad 4?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
One of my coworkers was having a WiFi issue with her new iPad 4 as mentioned in this thread. Apple swapped it out for her and the new one has worked fine.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner