iPad 4 - what should I do?

authentic103

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't like asking for advice in situations like these on forums because I know it can be annoying, but I can't seem to make up my mind and maybe some of you can push me in one direction or another.

I got a 16GB iPad 3 on release day (my birthday) and I love it. My problem is that my 3 year old is clogging it up with random pictures of nothing and lots of children's games/apps that are large in size (300-600MB) and I'm constantly having to move/delete things to have any free space.

So I'm thinking of adding a 2nd iPad to our home and I'm not sure what to do. Should I just deal with it for now and wait for the 5 because of the expected iPad mini-esque design and maybe more storage? Should I just go ahead and get the 4 and be happy since I already have an iPhone 5 with 3 lightning cables? Or should I get an iPad 2 for my son to play with and reclaim my 3?

I'm leaning towards getting the 4, but the thought of just sucking it up and waiting for the 5 keeps popping into my head. So please share your opinion and help me decide.

Thanks

authentic103

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I guess that's the real dilemma. Can I wait? Yeah probably, but will it be worth the wait and the annoyance of having to share my 3 in the meantime?

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Couple of options here from cheapest to most expensive:

1)get a refurb ipad 2 from apple for your son
2)give current ipad to your son and buy your own refurb ipad 3 from apple
3)find new discounted ipad 3 @ Best Buy if you can find one
4)buy ipad 4

Don't be scared by refurbish from apple, they come with full warranty and are in perfect condition just like new ones. Also, you could go cheap and get your son an iPad mini.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't like asking for advice in situations like these on forums because I know it can be annoying, but I can't seem to make up my mind and maybe some of you can push me in one direction or another.

I got a 16GB iPad 3 on release day (my birthday) and I love it. My problem is that my 3 year old is clogging it up with random pictures of nothing and lots of children's games/apps that are large in size (300-600MB) and I'm constantly having to move/delete things to have any free space.

So I'm thinking of adding a 2nd iPad to our home and I'm not sure what to do. Should I just deal with it for now and wait for the 5 because of the expected iPad mini-esque design and maybe more storage? Should I just go ahead and get the 4 and be happy since I already have an iPhone 5 with 3 lightning cables? Or should I get an iPad 2 for my son to play with and reclaim my 3?

I'm leaning towards getting the 4, but the thought of just sucking it up and waiting for the 5 keeps popping into my head. So please share your opinion and help me decide.

Thanks

Get son a iPad 2

Wait till fall

Get yourself ipad 5 .. Sell ipad 3 to cover cost of sons ipad 2 .. ( even thou its months later )

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

zog1977

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
My advice, get the iPad 4

Just upgraded from iPad first gen, holy cow what a difference. This thing is fast and the screen is awesome.

Who knows how long and how much iPad 5 will be.

I would say just get it now.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I would've waited and gotten the 5 but lately my iPad 2 64gb has been feeling sluggish, so I just bit the bullet and got me the 4 in 128gb.

Sent from the shadows of darkness using Tapatalk

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My advice, get the iPad 4

Just upgraded from iPad first gen, holy cow what a difference. This thing is fast and the screen is awesome.

Who knows how long and how much iPad 5 will be.

I would say just get it now.

The iPad 3 has the same screen as a iPad 4.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
This is over a 3yr old? Yep, that's basically why I went with more storage on ipads in the past. The kiddo's stuff. The cheapest thing to do is get an ipad mini for the kid. The ipad 4 isn't much of an upgrade over the 3 so I'd keep it. At the very least, you can play around with the Mini as well. The real factor in all this is kids leave the screen dirty which means constant cleaning from you. Plus you usually have to put such a case on it that isn't very good for you, but protects it for them. Then there's the cheap factor, give them the cheapest so you're not (as) paranoid. If you go out and buy a more expensive ipad for you two to share, you'll cringe more when the kid uses it hoping they don't drop it.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I would say keep the iPad 3 and get your son the mini. It's the most cost effective. And it will be easier for him to handle the iPad mini anyway.

authentic103

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Well right after posting this thread I found out I might get laid off so everything was put on hold, but fortunately I found out this week that I'm not losing my job so I'm putting this back in motion. After reading everyone's suggestions this is what I've come up with.

The iPad mini for him is a good idea in theory, but I'm afraid he will still want to use daddy's bigger iPad and I may still have to wrestle it away at times. It has become clear that there has to be 2 because I can't even take mine out to use it without him asking for it. Plus the messiness that comes with a 3 year old.

Others suggested an iPad 2 and then to sell my 3rd gen to help pay for the 5 in the fall, but if I'm going to spend $400 shouldn't I just spend another $100 and get the 4 which will have significantly better resale value than my 3 if I do want to upgrade to the 5 in the fall (and I probably will)? It seems like the resale/trade-in value of the 3 has already dropped quite a bit.

So that's where I think I'm at. Get the 4 now and keep the 3 for my son and wife and then most likely flip the 4 in the fall for a 5. Does that sound right to you guys?

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

I would buy the iPad 4, and when the 5 was released, I'd buy it if it were something I wanted. I try not to hold out on the "what if" kinda ideas. I have been bitten in the rear though lol.

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with an iPad mini for the kid and reclaim your iPad 3 for yourself. Kids won't notice the retina screen or lack thereof. And the mini is much lighter and just the perfect size for a kid. I have fewer worries that it will get dropped and when it was my ipad i didnt want a case on it. My kids aren't quite as young (5 and 9) but the mini works well for them and I can make them keep a case on it.

I haven't had any trouble with them asking to use my bigger iPad since Santa brought them the minis except when they've neglected to charge them. And them being slightly older than your son, I just make them wait. It only took a couple of times and now I'm more likely to have my 5 year old run to charge it when it's at 80%. It runs all the apps they wanted. I get asked about why they have to have a case when Mommy doesn't have one more than I get asked to use mine now.
That's actually a very solid idea. My kids would love to have a mini vs the larger/heavier 3/4.

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If you can afford it, I'd suggest getting one for each. I couldn't imagine the fights in my house if they had to share (or else is have to share mine with the kid who wasn't using their shared one). To me the mini is the perfect size for kids and even with a case isn't too heavy.

My twins are at that stage that they fight about everything lol.

zoogue

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Its amazing to think about how far the tablet need has grown. At my place I currently have 3 ipads. two ipad 3 and one ipad mini and they are usually always being used. I would suggest a second ipad for the kids. The cheaper mini or the older generation ipads should be perfect.