Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default iPad movie to car monitor

Ok here is the question
    What do I need

I want a flip down monitor in my car don't need a DVD player I want my iPad to plug in like in the front area of car and the movie shows on monitor with sound using car speakers or wireless headsets
    I would be using a iPad 4 and iPad 2 mostly
    How can I hook the iPad to the monitor to display the video ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Global Posts
    11,624 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iPad movie to car monitor

I'd just get a mount of some kind for an iPad... no 'second screen' needed...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    I'd just get a mount of some kind for an iPad... no 'second screen' needed...
    Ya but I don't want to have to mount and unmount the iPad just plug in and go

4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Any one have any ideas ?

Global Posts
    6,121 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

To get sound to the car speakers you probably have to have an Aux jack near wherever the iPad was located.

Depending on the flip down TV you have and what it's inputs were, couldn't you get one if those 30 pin/lightning to component or hdmi converters to plug into the iPad and the appropriate cable to go to the TV. Not ideal though.

Another thought would be to get an Apple TV that you can leave plugged into the flip down TV. Then use airplay to get video to the TV. I think the ATV can set up an adhoc wireless network (but you'd need to verify this) that the iPad could then connect to so that airplay would work.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

The more that I thought about it I prob would need a head unit the supports iPhone or ipad and has a video pass thru so the monitors hook to head unit and the ipad would connect just to the head unit and video / sound would be passed thru the head unit to the monitor and speakers

Brought to you from my iPad 4 LTE routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers from Tapatalk !

Global Posts
    11,624 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iPad movie to car monitor

The iPad does not have a "video pass through" capability that I'm aware of... just AirPlay. There may be an in-car entertainment system that is AirPlay ready... I've never looked for one...

The right mount takes seconds, as does plugging audio into an Aux input on a car head-unit... but you've already dismissed that as too cumbersome...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    The iPad does not have a "video pass through" capability that I'm aware of... just AirPlay. There may be an in-car entertainment system that is AirPlay ready... I've never looked for one...

The right mount takes seconds, as does plugging audio into an Aux input on a car head-unit... but you've already dismissed that as too cumbersome...
    Well two kids one ipad I can hear I can't see already lol even if I get another iPad then the movies can't be in sync on both of them so then headphones wires wires and more wires .. That is the simple solution thou

After looking video will pass to the head unit the head unit allows additional monitor video out so hook ipad to head unit via there USB iphone cable and it will pass video and music

Global Posts
    6,121 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

2 iPads and Bluetooth headphones = no wires 😉 pricey, I know. I got tired of my 2 fighting over "my" iPad so
    Santa brought them both iPad minis.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    2 iPads and Bluetooth headphones = no wires 😉 pricey, I know. I got tired of my 2 fighting over "my" iPad so
    Santa brought them both iPad minis.
    Ya I thought about this way also maybe ill have to upgrade to iPad 5 or mini 2 and pass my ipad down the line lol

I'm pretty handy installing car audio .. Head units .. Speakers .. Amps sub etc so I might just go that route also I guess it depends when I see what kind of work I'm gonna be dealing with lol