ATT vs Verizon service

ctychick

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I need to decide which I'll go with when I buy my iPad during targets black Friday sale tomorrow. I could use some guidance.

Do both offer pay as you go service? (ie, svc for 1 month that I happen to need it for travel?) Is one priced better for a month than the other?

Also, my phone service is Verizon and I'm still on the unlimited data plan. Can I set up a separate account for occasional monthly data for my iPad so that it doesn't force me into a shared data plan with my phone? I'm nervous about Verizon playing games with me and am tempted to use ATT solely for my iPad. Thoughts?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I need to decide which I'll go with when I buy my iPad during targets black Friday sale tomorrow. I could use some guidance.

Do both offer pay as you go service? (ie, svc for 1 month that I happen to need it for travel?) Is one priced better for a month than the other?

Also, my phone service is Verizon and I'm still on the unlimited data plan. Can I set up a separate account for occasional monthly data for my iPad so that it doesn't force me into a shared data plan with my phone? I'm nervous about Verizon playing games with me and am tempted to use ATT solely for my iPad. Thoughts?

I just got a Verizon one and have Verizon service as well I did the pay as u go options it has nothing to do with your account ... It is two separate things

I actually posted a thread on how this works just search for posts by me and in sure you will find it

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
As Karen stated, pick the one that has the best service in the area you live or plan to use the iPad the most.

In my experience AT&T works well in large metro areas and larger cities and a number of online sources indicate AT&T has overall better speeds in these areas.

However, if you live in or travel to more rural areas, I have found Verizon to be more reliable and available. Several times I have been in more remote locations and get a NO SERVICE indicator on my AT&T phone or iPad yet can get signal and service on a Prepaid Verizon phone.

Most recently I purchased an iPad 4 with Verizon service as in my area I get good signal from both AT&T and Verizon but wanted more reliable service when outside of area. While traveling over Thanksgiving in a more remote rural area I had no signal or service with AT&T unless I traveled 10 miles to the Interstate yet I was able to get phone service on a Verizon phone and data on my Verizon iPad. Granted it was slower and not LTE and sometimes hung up, I was able to check email, iMessage and order online on Black Friday.

Same thing last year deep in Smoky Mountains area, Verizon as well Virgin Mobile mifi AKA Sprint had service in places AT&T had NO SERVICE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tlbaker1

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I have a VZW iPhone 4 w a 20.00 a month hotspot for my iPad. I save 10.00 a month doing it this way vs. having a separate data plan just for the iPad. I started out w a separate plan for iPad 2. My 2 is a VZW pad and my 4 is wifi only as I use it primarily at home for now.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64FB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Chex313

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You may have already made your decision by now, but...The Verizon version has a clear advantage in that it can be used as a Hotspot and the At&t still can not. I went in to buy an At&t model and when the said it could not tether, I left.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The ipad 3 I looked at over the summer did not have the option. I see in another post that the ipad 4 does. I thought that the Verizon model worked with At&t sims though. So there would be no downside in getting the Verizon. I may be misremembering tho.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234