Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

Default ATT vs Verizon service

I need to decide which I'll go with when I buy my iPad during targets black Friday sale tomorrow. I could use some guidance.

Do both offer pay as you go service? (ie, svc for 1 month that I happen to need it for travel?) Is one priced better for a month than the other?

Also, my phone service is Verizon and I'm still on the unlimited data plan. Can I set up a separate account for occasional monthly data for my iPad so that it doesn't force me into a shared data plan with my phone? I'm nervous about Verizon playing games with me and am tempted to use ATT solely for my iPad. Thoughts?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5,900 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

They both offer pay as you go that you can turn on and off. You do not have to add them to your plan.

They are the same price.

Go with whichever has the best coverage where you are or where you are most likely to need mobile service.
    Thanked by:
    ctychick (11-21-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,841 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by ctychick View Post
    I need to decide which I'll go with when I buy my iPad during targets black Friday sale tomorrow. I could use some guidance.

Do both offer pay as you go service? (ie, svc for 1 month that I happen to need it for travel?) Is one priced better for a month than the other?

Also, my phone service is Verizon and I'm still on the unlimited data plan. Can I set up a separate account for occasional monthly data for my iPad so that it doesn't force me into a shared data plan with my phone? I'm nervous about Verizon playing games with me and am tempted to use ATT solely for my iPad. Thoughts?

I just got a Verizon one and have Verizon service as well I did the pay as u go options it has nothing to do with your account ... It is two separate things

I actually posted a thread on how this works just search for posts by me and in sure you will find it
    Thanked by:
    ctychick (11-21-2012)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    iOS Version

As Karen stated, pick the one that has the best service in the area you live or plan to use the iPad the most.

In my experience AT&T works well in large metro areas and larger cities and a number of online sources indicate AT&T has overall better speeds in these areas.

However, if you live in or travel to more rural areas, I have found Verizon to be more reliable and available. Several times I have been in more remote locations and get a NO SERVICE indicator on my AT&T phone or iPad yet can get signal and service on a Prepaid Verizon phone.

Most recently I purchased an iPad 4 with Verizon service as in my area I get good signal from both AT&T and Verizon but wanted more reliable service when outside of area. While traveling over Thanksgiving in a more remote rural area I had no signal or service with AT&T unless I traveled 10 miles to the Interstate yet I was able to get phone service on a Verizon phone and data on my Verizon iPad. Granted it was slower and not LTE and sometimes hung up, I was able to check email, iMessage and order online on Black Friday.

Same thing last year deep in Smoky Mountains area, Verizon as well Virgin Mobile mifi AKA Sprint had service in places AT&T had NO SERVICE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T), iPhone 5 (64GB, AT&T)
    iPad Air (128GB, Verizon), iPad Mini2 (128GB, AT&T), iPod Touch 5 (64GB),
    iMac, Mac Mini x2, MacBook Pro 13R, MacBook Air 11,
    Apple TV x3
    ... itís like a giant Apple Pie !!!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ctychick View Post

I have a VZW iPhone 4 w a 20.00 a month hotspot for my iPad. I save 10.00 a month doing it this way vs. having a separate data plan just for the iPad. I started out w a separate plan for iPad 2. My 2 is a VZW pad and my 4 is wifi only as I use it primarily at home for now.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64FB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts

Default Re: ATT vs Verizon service

You may have already made your decision by now, but...The Verizon version has a clear advantage in that it can be used as a Hotspot and the At&t still can not. I went in to buy an At&t model and when the said it could not tether, I left.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The ipad 3 I looked at over the summer did not have the option. I see in another post that the ipad 4 does. I thought that the Verizon model worked with At&t sims though. So there would be no downside in getting the Verizon. I may be misremembering tho.
    Last edited by Chex313; 12-23-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    GNexus(Pure) , GS2 , i4, i5, N7, ipad, Airs, 5 PC's Folding Proteins.