Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

IMHO Apple makes it difficult to choose an iPad. I have pretty much decided on the Retina 4...
    Now I have to decide on 4G or using the extra 100 bux for a 32 GB model.
    Most people don't end up with the 4G. Interested in hearing your feedback.

Global Posts
    6,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

Really depends in your scenarios for using it. Are you mostly on wifi? When you're not, do you have access to another device such as a phone that can get online? If yes, then you have to decide if 1) you are willing to use just the phone when you are out, 2) you can tether the phone to get online with the iPad, or 3) you don't have another device or are not able or willing to tether.

I've had both versions and didn't use the cellular capability nearly enough to be worth the $130 cost premium.

One other thing to consider is that with the 3G and/or LTE iPads you also get GPS even if the cellular plan is not active. You will not have GPS on the wifi only iPads.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Re: 4G LTE or 32 GIG

Hi - Are you saying if I get the LTE iPad and don't activate the cellular, I can still use the GPS (does that include the GPS apps?)
    in the car? That would seal it...

Global Posts
    6,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Stamper View Post
    Hi - Are you saying if I get the LTE iPad and don't activate the cellular, I can still use the GPS (does that include the GPS apps?)
    in the car? That would seal it...
    Yes. Includes GPS apps and maps. The chip that does LTE and 3G also does GPS but it does require cellular service to work.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

thank you, that seals it.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

you sure, you don't need an internet connection?

Global Posts
    6,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

Yes I'm sure but hopefully someone else on the forums will chime in to confirm.

Global Posts
    4,006 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

It would have to be a 3rd party GPS mapping app that preloads maps. I'm sure someone with experience with those apps will chime in on which ones work best.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb

Global Posts
    6,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

True. GPS would work without cellular service but you would need to have the maps downloaded while using wifi. Apple Maps would probably work as well as long as you looked up the directions beforehand. Several blogs tested the Apple Maps offline and said that the amount of data cached was perfectly adequate for most navigation.

Global Posts
    6,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

Hers some articles about the caching and using Apple Maps while offline:

iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

Dude don't get the cellular unless u absolutely have to. I'm in the same boat as you, I need 32GB but I kinda wanted the LTE, but then I realized I always have my phone with me so I can just tether my iPad from my iPhone. And besides, there's WiFi everywhere nowadays , AND it's an iPad 4 so I'm guessing your like me and its gonna mostly be at home or at family/girlfriend/friends houses and not always with you so with WiFi only you are set. Don't spend the extra $130 on cellular that u will have to pay extra for as well, spend the extra $100 and get more memory

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    6, 5.1

Let me start of by saying, it entirely depends on what you plan on doing with it (and where you are for 3G/4G service). 4G iPad is amazing, and I say it's definitely worth it. Something incredibly convenient about having an always-on 4G LTE connection (assuming your area is covered well - mine is).

If you don't think you'll use the 4G when you're not on WiFi, then don't worry about it. Go with the additional memory.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default 4G LTE or 32 GIG

I made this same decision today I got the iPad 4 .. 4g ... Too many times I needed Internet and didn't have it so this time I went 4g life problem solved lol
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version
    iOs 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by macleod644 View Post
    Dude don't get the cellular unless u absolutely have to. I'm in the same boat as you, I need 32GB but I kinda wanted the LTE, but then I realized I always have my phone with me so I can just tether my iPad from my iPhone. And besides, there's WiFi everywhere nowadays , AND it's an iPad 4 so I'm guessing your like me and its gonna mostly be at home or at family/girlfriend/friends houses and not always with you so with WiFi only you are set. Don't spend the extra $130 on cellular that u will have to pay extra for as well, spend the extra $100 and get more memory

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    TOTALLY AGREE! Especially if you have iPhone for being able to use hotspot, you will need more space than LTE.
    - C.G -  iPad Mini - 32 GB  iPhone 5 - 32GB  Retina MacBook Pro. 15'' - 2,3 Ghz. Quad-Core i7 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Mid 2012