Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Replace laptop?

If this needs to be moved, please do.
    Is it possible to replace a laptop with an iPad? Mostly reading, surfing web, banking, email and I'm sure other things I can't think of right now. I have always had a laptop. No longer have desktop.is there a real reason I would still need laptop? I appreciate all I have learned reading here. I respect your thoughts. Thank you

Global Posts
    11,973 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Replace laptop?

Leave the Laptop on the desk... use it as a desktop... use the iPad on the go.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates

Global Posts
    7,575 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Replace laptop?

If that's all your doing the iPad would be fine.

Global Posts
    22,931 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Replace laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Spat View Post
    If this needs to be moved, please do.
    Is it possible to replace a laptop with an iPad? Mostly reading, surfing web, banking, email and I'm sure other things I can't think of right now. I have always had a laptop. No longer have desktop.is there a real reason I would still need laptop? I appreciate all I have learned reading here. I respect your thoughts. Thank you
    To some people, yes, and to others, no. It depends on your use. Some web browsers will still insist on be viewed in mobile mode on the iPad. If you don't use any cloud services, a laptop might still be the better choice for storage. Again, it depends on your use. I also agree with Karen that for what you've posted, you will be fine with an iPad.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,551 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you need access to Java Applets & Microsoft's Silverlight the iPad won't do.

In order to have access to those, you need a device with an Intel chip. Maybe Silverlight needs Flash to work. Not sure.

That's why I'm getting a MacBook Air (has the Intel Chip) to replace my existing Windows PC.

Go to the Apple store and do all your stuff on one of their display iPads.

I have both an iPad2 & iPhone 4S. Getting the MBA to take advantage of the Apple Eco System.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad Air Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Yosemite 10.10
    Cigar Lover
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Replace laptop?

Thanks for the replies. I would really like to get the Air but don't know if I can afford it right now. I will look in to Apple's refurbished ones. It's crazy what all I can do on my iPhone! Find myself opening laptop less and less!!
    Thanks again

Global Posts
    7,575 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Replace laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Spat View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I would really like to get the Air but don't know if I can afford it right now. I will look in to Apple's refurbished ones. It's crazy what all I can do on my iPhone! Find myself opening laptop less and less!!
    Thanks again
    If that's the case then I suggest that you keep a list of those things you do do on the laptop and research whether there is an iOS alternative.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

My mother has successfully replaced her PC with an iPad. She does email, browses the web, Facebook, that kind of thing. I use my iPad when I'm sitting on the sofa or when I'm mobile, but for work, I need an actual computer (PC's are still TONS cheaper). I do a lot of copy/pasting between windows, Evernote, and text expander - which, while you might be able to do s..l...o..w...l...y on the iPad, you want to be able to do quickly so that work isn't so much...work.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    3,699 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i doubt a tablet can fully replace a pc or laptop, you can get very close however with any device (except all ipads) that can run ubuntu/linux desktops, that helps bridge the gap a little, it all depends on your useage of the devices tbh, if you only do light browsing and the likes then a tablets fine, anything more indepth or tekkie and the ipad alone wont do all you require.