Replace laptop?

Spat

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
If this needs to be moved, please do.
Is it possible to replace a laptop with an iPad? Mostly reading, surfing web, banking, email and I'm sure other things I can't think of right now. I have always had a laptop. No longer have desktop.is there a real reason I would still need laptop? I appreciate all I have learned reading here. I respect your thoughts. Thank you

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If this needs to be moved, please do.
Is it possible to replace a laptop with an iPad? Mostly reading, surfing web, banking, email and I'm sure other things I can't think of right now. I have always had a laptop. No longer have desktop.is there a real reason I would still need laptop? I appreciate all I have learned reading here. I respect your thoughts. Thank you

To some people, yes, and to others, no. It depends on your use. Some web browsers will still insist on be viewed in mobile mode on the iPad. If you don't use any cloud services, a laptop might still be the better choice for storage. Again, it depends on your use. I also agree with Karen that for what you've posted, you will be fine with an iPad.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
If you need access to Java Applets & Microsoft's Silverlight the iPad won't do.

In order to have access to those, you need a device with an Intel chip. Maybe Silverlight needs Flash to work. Not sure.

That's why I'm getting a MacBook Air (has the Intel Chip) to replace my existing Windows PC.

Go to the Apple store and do all your stuff on one of their display iPads.

I have both an iPad2 & iPhone 4S. Getting the MBA to take advantage of the Apple Eco System.

Good Luck

Spat

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I would really like to get the Air but don't know if I can afford it right now. I will look in to Apple's refurbished ones. It's crazy what all I can do on my iPhone! Find myself opening laptop less and less!!
Thanks again

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
My mother has successfully replaced her PC with an iPad. She does email, browses the web, Facebook, that kind of thing. I use my iPad when I'm sitting on the sofa or when I'm mobile, but for work, I need an actual computer (PC's are still TONS cheaper). I do a lot of copy/pasting between windows, Evernote, and text expander - which, while you might be able to do s..l...o..w...l...y on the iPad, you want to be able to do quickly so that work isn't so much...work.

geekpeter

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
i doubt a tablet can fully replace a pc or laptop, you can get very close however with any device (except all ipads) that can run ubuntu/linux desktops, that helps bridge the gap a little, it all depends on your useage of the devices tbh, if you only do light browsing and the likes then a tablets fine, anything more indepth or tekkie and the ipad alone wont do all you require.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods