Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Default 4th generation name

Is the fourth generations name really iPad 4 or is it iPad with Retina Display? Nowhere on Apple or during the keynote did Apple mention its the iPad "4".

Global Posts
    12,097 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: 4th generation name

Quote Originally Posted by mlg321 View Post
    Is the fourth generations name really iPad 4 or is it iPad with Retina Display? Nowhere on Apple or during the keynote did Apple mention its the iPad "4".
    Apple called it the "4th generation iPad" - iPad4 has become a colloquial term used to describe the "4th generation iPad".
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by mlg321 View Post
    The "official" name (as noted by the product page in the Apple store) is iPad with Retina Display. As Keith has stated, it is also known, informally, by generation number. That's been true of many products like iPods and iPads. Similarly, Macs tend to be known officially by their product name (MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, etc), and "informally" identified by the release date (Early 2010; Mid 2012, etc).
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Rosaura1234 View Post
    The apple website calls iPad with Retina Display, but the web call it iPad 4.
    Yeah, I think we’ve got that covered... it’s been stated above several times. Thanks for reminding us.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,903 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Now here's my question my iPad 3 has a retina display so how is the iPad 4 "iPad with Retina Display" ? it's not like the iPad 3 doesn't have Retina. It was a very weird piece of marketing considering they went on and on about how great the Retina Display was on the new iPad(iPad 3).
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    Now here's my question my iPad 3 has a retina display so how is the iPad 4 "iPad with Retina Display" ? it's not like the iPad 3 doesn't have Retina. It was a very weird piece of marketing considering they went on and on about how great the Retina Display was on the new iPad(iPad 3).
    The iPad 3 never existed. It's a figment of Apple's imagination.

Sent from somewhere
    iPhone Newbie

Default 4th generation name

It's just like the iPod Touch now, they just revise it now and again, the previous versions still well worth owning. I like it because when you kill off the number in the name there's less pressure to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD