Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Heisenberg
  • 1 Post By LSglock89
  • 1 Post By imtravis
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Default iPad release schedule

So does this mean that the iPad is now going to be released pretty closely after the iPhone now? With this event, will there be a spring iPad release now?

I vote no.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,025 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iPad release schedule

Considering the shortened shelf time of the iPad 3, it wouldn't surprise me if they waited over a year to update the full size iPad (like what they did with the iPhone 4), at least for the next round.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I still may wait till March or April to get a new iPad. Whether I want wifi only again or go all out with LTE I'm still deciding.
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I hope it still stays spring. I buy 2 new iPhones and iPads every year. If they are released a month apart, it will murder my wallet.

Global Posts
    4,310 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I bet even Apple doesn't know their release cycles by now.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    canguler87 likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

I see them keeping the fall release of the iPad from now on.

There was a dilemma the last 2 years around the holidays: Buy the current iPad or wait 2-3 more months for the newest one.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jTexans View Post
    I see them keeping the fall release of the iPad from now on.

There was a dilemma the last 2 years around the holidays: Buy the current iPad or wait 2-3 more months for the newest one.
    I definitely cannot dispute this logic. I wholeheartedly thought the update for iPad was a connector change, but there had to be more motivation to change the chip as well. Perhaps making it last until next fall was the thought?
    [FONT=Garamond]iPhone 4 32GB Black, 2012 MBP 13" i5/FONT]
    RealNeal likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts

I think they did it to get a new schedule and changed the chip to deal with the heating issues of the ipad 3.. I know when I play a game for more than 15 minutes, I have to stop because it gets extremely warm (a *LOT* warmer than my ipad 2).
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
    I think they did it to get a new schedule and changed the chip to deal with the heating issues of the ipad 3.. I know when I play a game for more than 15 minutes, I have to stop because it gets extremely warm (a *LOT* warmer than my ipad 2).
    You know that's really a good point on the heating issue. Granted we'll find out once the reviews are out, but I would like to know if this has been resolved or not.
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
    iMore Expert

I say NO... I dont see Apple launching a new iPad in 5 months. The new iPad is perfectly fine for a year.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

I'm hoping no as well.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    I hope it still stays spring. I buy 2 new iPhones and iPads every year. If they are released a month apart, it will murder my wallet.
    Don't you sell your old devices, Garz? If so, sell your new iPad like I did and use the money to get on the new fall release schedule.... If that's what this is now...
    END
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts

I have always said I felt the iPad should be on a fall schedule, and I think this is probably what we are looking at.

iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Totally agree with your comments !! it makes perfect marketing sense to release a new product right before Christmas !!
    iMore Intermediate

I posted this in another thread:

I think there were several factors that went into the decision to put out an upgrade now. It may be that Apple is planning on a reset of its upgrade cycle to coincide wih the holidays. Releasing new equipment in the spring really doesn't tap into the biggest sales season of the year. I'm not sure why anyone would pick the spring season as the time to pump out new products. You lose the excitement of the new release long before the holiday feeding-frenzy starts. Releasing in the fall keeps anticipation and excitement high.

In addition, I think it was important for them to get all their iOS devices on the same docking connector so peripheral vendors have confidence they only have one 'flavor' of connector to plan for and design around. Apple had the same connector for 10 years, so changing to Lightning is a really big deal. They cannot afford to let any of their flagship products languish without the new connector.

Last, I think they needed to make a strategic move to blunt some of the competition in this product category - notably Surface. If anyone has an installed base tied to a specific ecosystem, its Mircosoft. With an installed base of billions of devices, they represent the only real competition to Apple. And they literally own the business ecosystem - from servers to desktops to laptops. Even if they stumble a bit out of the gate, over time they could represent a real threat. And Windows 8 is the only innovative tablet platform to emerge to challenge iOS. The rest are just copy-cats. Apple had to make a move, and they did.

Update - I just thought of something else. All Apple has to do is keep people happy through the 1st and 2nd quarter. By the 3rd quarter the rumor mill is ramping up the excitement for the next product releases and keeping people focused on Apple and their next move. The 4th quarter takes care of itself with the launch events, the holidays and the subsequent demand for the newly updated products.
    iPhone Beginner

Don't need to see another release for a another year. I want better software features. Improvements with Siri
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Don't you sell your old devices, Garz? If so, sell your new iPad like I did and use the money to get on the new fall release schedule.... If that's what this is now...
    Yes buy I buy 2 iPads. Selling your old iPad doesn't cover it. Really it's not close.

- - - Updated - - -

I vote yes. I don't see this 4th gen iPad carrying it out for a year. I believe it was just a minor refresh to get new lightning plug on and we'll see a redesigned 5th gen in spring to follow the look of iPad mini and iPhone 5.

I have no real info on that buy just my hunch.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm calling it now... Spring 2013 will be a major Apple TV event