Screen lock password requirement after iOS7 update but never had password

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
There's a ultimately unhelpful thread about this on the Apple support forums, but I was wondering if anyone here had this problem. After updating to iOS7, the iPad 3 now asks for a screen lock password. But I had never had a screen lock password put on before the update.

The aforementioned support thread discusses the total hassle of a restore. Unfortunately, while I have an iTunes back up of music, my wife has a slew of photos and video she's taken that have never been backed up. Someone else mentioned using your Apple ID password to unlock, but I'm not sure about that -- it's 12 characters long and also has an uppercase letter, something I don't even see how one can put in on the alphanumeric keyboard.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be blunt, there's nothing you can do except try to figure out the possible password or connect your device to iTunes and restore it.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
To be blunt, there's nothing you can do except try to figure out the possible password or connect your device to iTunes and restore it.

Ugh. I can't imagine what it would be if a screen lock password were never enabled. The Apple ID password is the only thing that comes to mind, but there's that uppercase problem. Can't try now because it's at home. Maybe it's 0000.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure its not just prompting you to add one? During the setup process of iOS7 it does ask if you want to setup a passcode, but in small font towards the button it says "skip this step"

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure its not just prompting you to add one? During the setup process of iOS7 it does ask if you want to setup a passcode, but in small font towards the button it says "skip this step"

No, it's clearly asking what the passcode is (and disables after 3-4 tries or something). I might have been asked about a passcode during the upgrade, but I don't recall. I would have declined in any event, preferring only to have a passcode on phones.

This is maddening -- I can't imagine it would just come up with some random passcode on its own. I hope I can avoid a possibly fruitless lengthy call with Apple that just ends up with me doing a full factory restore.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
As a coda here, I was making an appointment with the Genius Bar when I noted the disclaimer about Find My iPad being deactivated during any repair, etc. of the device there. Thinking about it, it dawned on me that I had been asked to put in a code for that. And of course that turned out to be what unlocked the screen lock. So: happy ending. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As a coda here, I was making an appointment with the Genius Bar when I noted the disclaimer about Find My iPad being deactivated during any repair, etc. of the device there. Thinking about it, it dawned on me that I had been asked to put in a code for that. And of course that turned out to be what unlocked the screen lock. So: happy ending. :)

I'm glad you figured it out, my friend, and thank you for updating us. :)

sanderson94518

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well this is unfortunate. I too had the same problem and when I took it to the Apple Store I purchased it at, they said "oh well, you are screwed". They claimed that at one point, I had entered in a number. When I asked if there was anyway to start the clock over so I had more than 4 attempts they said no. In other words, Apple just became Microsoft. Pushed a major update without warning that you would need your passcode ahead of time..nor offered anyway to have it emailed or sent to you..or use your ITunes account. In other words, if you have forgotten your passcode and update to iOS7 figure you will lose all your data if you have not synced it with a computer. This is the worse update I have ever been a part of. To enable the Passcode during the update process is a terrible oversight by Apple.

Anyway if you are one of the lucky ones that has forgot your passcode pass on ios 7.

Tina Andres

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Just had the exact same thing happen to me with the IOS 8 update except the update actually went through and was working beautifully until my son tried to download a game (which is the reason we did the update in the first place) and then the passcode screen came up. I know I didn't set a passcode because the thing was working when it arrived, I was never asked for a passcode. This is so frustrating. All of this because my son wanted a game that required it and now we are completely locked out of the iPad and most likely will lose everything on it. :mad:

Last edited:

Christy W1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
well, I was one of those idiots who CHOSE "skip this step" PRECISELY BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT THE HASSLE OF HAVING TO REMEMBER YET ONE MORE PASSCODE NUMBER FOR A DEVICE!!! And look, my piece of **** phone is demanding one and of course I don't have it, so NOTHING I have tried will work because NO PASSCODE WAS EVER SET!!! I went from an Apple fan to being absolutely ready to change not only carriers but devices over this, since I'm going to be wiping out everything on my phone, which hasn't been backed up in a few weeks (some of us are pretty busy and only upgraded because we were forced to--if it was convenient to update I'd have synced first, but that wasn't the case).

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
well, I was one of those idiots who CHOSE "skip this step" PRECISELY BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT THE HASSLE OF HAVING TO REMEMBER YET ONE MORE PASSCODE NUMBER FOR A DEVICE!!! And look, my piece of **** phone is demanding one and of course I don't have it, so NOTHING I have tried will work because NO PASSCODE WAS EVER SET!!! I went from an Apple fan to being absolutely ready to change not only carriers but devices over this, since I'm going to be wiping out everything on my phone, which hasn't been backed up in a few weeks (some of us are pretty busy and only upgraded because we were forced to--if it was convenient to update I'd have synced first, but that wasn't the case).

Thanks for sharing. Frustration noted.

Azaylea

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
How did you manage to figure out the passcode? Mine has given itself a passcode and I have no idea what the passcode is or how to work it out. Please help :concern:

Ina Husted

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I was just setting up my iPad and said no to using a passcode. Now it wants a passcode and I didn't put one in. I can't go forward.

Ina Husted

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Passcode. Help please

I was just setting up my iPad and said no to using a passcode. Now it wants a passcode and I didn't put one in. I can't go forward.

DDGP2

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Hallelujah for your response! We ran into the same issue and 0000 worked. I manage dozens of iPads and was dreading the idea of reformatting all of them.

Dudub_1944

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
took another bit of extra trouble since it cleared the mystery
about the passcode due to an upgrade,so in a way was being
part of a group of victimised people from which shared the same problem,with no solution offered by this stupid apple,cant help having some bad thoughts about this steve j. Who left with having no passcode for heaven,stranded up ws we are stranded down thanks to his genius,wonder what took me to buy this useless piece of rubbish for the same amount could have got
a good android tablet,dont know why us creeps are craving for rotten apples,I am almost in two minds to hammer it mercilessly