Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Peligro911
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Default The new iPad or older gen?

So, I need a bit of help. I bought an iPad about a month or so ago. I'm trying to sell/trade for iPad Mini 64 GB. So, as I'm trying to sell, I get a potential offer hit from Craigslist. Guy asks for serial number to make sure it's an iPad Retina , but apparently says its an older gen. Now, I was sure I got the new iPad 3rd gen with Retina when I got it on Craigslist. But now I'm not even sure. Is there ANY way to determine it? The display sure looks like it is Retina. I've tried checking the model number but shows its just a regular iPad 3rd gen.

Global Posts
    11,526 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: The new iPad or older gen?

The iPad3 has a display that's 2048x1536 pixels, 264 pixels/inch, and was marketed as a retina display. It is what it is... no variants exist that I know of... so if looking to sell/trade, you have an iPad circa 2012, aka 3rd generation. Reasonable buyers/traders will know what they're getting and not try and quibble about tech specs and want to tell you you've got something less than what you have.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts

Easy way to tell, if it has Siri, it is an iPad 3 or 4 with a retina display. The iPad 2 is still sold but is labeled as an iPad 2 in the box also.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,834 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Only one iPad 3 with retina no other versions ...

If it has a 30 pin charger it's a 3rd gen if its a lightning cable it's 4 gen both are retina

If it don't have Siri its a iPad 2

Sounds like guy on cl is one who needs help

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Okay I figured
    Because I was trying to make an offer that we both agree on. At least 520ish since its in pristine condition, 64 GB, with screen pro on perfectly and including a ZAGG Folio and he asked for the serial number. And his response after a few minutes was

"It's not Retina LCD. It is regular 3rd Generation LCD. My offer will back to $400
    Thanks for your time."

Seriously? I know the guy who sold It to me originally wasn't toying around with me and I know what I bought. Oh we'll, thanks for the answers, folks. Needed that extra confirmation to make sure I know what I'm selling and not mistaken.
    iPhone Nanite

I like your signature. #js
    iPhone Nanite

I was referring to you about your signature
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Beginner

But with the responses I'm getting, looks like ill be keeping this mighty fine beast of an iPad. I'd love the Mini. The portability of it, lightness, even minus the retina which I don't mind one bit is egging me on, but that's only if I can find someone willing to either do an equal trade or to buy the 3 off me. But oh well, it's not needed but more of a choice. Thanks everybody!

Anyway, who did stick with their 3rd gen and held off on the 4 or the mini? Curious if I'd make a mistake in doing so for the Mini.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,834 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by rdmedina7 View Post
    But with the responses I'm getting, looks like ill be keeping this mighty fine beast of an iPad. I'd love the Mini. The portability of it, lightness, even minus the retina which I don't mind one bit is egging me on, but that's only if I can find someone willing to either do an equal trade or to buy the 3 off me. But oh well, it's not needed but more of a choice. Thanks everybody!

Anyway, who did stick with their 3rd gen and held off on the 4 or the mini? Curious if I'd make a mistake in doing so for the Mini.
    I had a 2 and went to a 4 skip the 3 ..

He just wanted to lower your price

If you really want to sell I would throw it on eBay for 600 it will sell easy

seanpr likes this.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Beginner

Thanks everybody, lot of help! Glad I was in the wrong, I was feeling a bit jipped and a bit dim witted for Even having to ask :/
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    I had a 2 and went to a 4 skip the 3 ..

He just wanted to lower your price

If you really want to sell I would throw it on eBay for 600 it will sell easy

Very tempting! I just might try that! Just wish it was something more local.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,834 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Very tempting! I just might try that! Just wish it was something more local.
    From someone who sells on eBay it's prob the safest .. Yes there are fees but your protected also

I have sold iPads and iPhones countless times just describe it honestly take lots of pics ship priority with insurance and signature conformation
    I always charge the buyer the shipping also never had a issue
    Good luck

13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    From someone who sells on eBay it's prob the safest .. Yes there are fees but your protected also

I have sold iPads and iPhones countless times just describe it honestly take lots of pics ship priority with insurance and signature conformation
    I always charge the buyer the shipping also never had a issue
    Good luck

Thank you, I just may try it. It's tempting. The Mini seems to fit my liking more. Portability mainly. And I can always get the ZAGG folio and keyboard.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I sold my iPad 3 and bought a mini. So glad I did. Love the mini much more.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

I'm keeping my 3. I played with a Mini at Best Buy and couldn't get past the non-Retina display.

Sent from somewhere
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paradocks View Post
    I'm keeping my 3. I played with a Mini at Best Buy and couldn't get past the non-Retina display.

Sent from somewhere
    I am the opposite. I bought the 3 months ago on the 3rd day it was out and took it back 4 days later. I stuck with my 2 as it was lighter, ran cooler, and the screen looks fine to me. The retina on the iPad did not look different enough to me. Great display but not worth paying for an upgrade.