Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By asuperstarr
  • 2 Post By Rene Ritchie
  • 2 Post By Rene Ritchie
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Why is the iPad 4 still fat with the lightning cable?

I mean when they introduced the lightning cable for the iPhone, they said it was completely necessary to make devices smaller. They kept toting the fact that the iPhone is so much thinner now since the introduction of the lightning cable.

Now I'm not completely savy with all the internal components, but can someone with a bit more knowledge on the matter explain why the iPad didn't trim down some of the baby fat?

Would love to hear your thoughts besides the obvious argument that it is to milk more money and make it thinner in the iPad 5. If that is the case, that really sucks. I've always loved this company, but it just seems like need to screw us over keeps getting worse.
    END
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Default Re: Why is the iPad 4 still fat with the lightning cable?

I really do not know why they did not refresh the iPad’s (4th generation) aesthetic to be more in line with the rest of their products. It was a disappointment for me.
    One reason could of course be, as you said, that it will be one new thing to have for the 5th generation device.

However, perhaps the 4th generation was rushed a bit to market for a number of reasons-
    1. They wanted to have something new to compete with the offerings from Microsoft and Google, and had no time to change aesthetic.
    2. They made a late decision to shift toward a holiday release, and again no time to change the look.

Could be either of those, combination of them, or something else entirely.

Last edited by END; 12-06-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: removed a word
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm hoping that the reason they didn't change anything was to cram more components or larger battery (don't know if the batt capacity changed). Also, I hope that they took cases into account, so you can still use your favorite case you just bought 6 months prior. It was a quick update cycle for Apple, so maybe that had some effect on their decision.
    --
    applejosh
    Present: iPhone5 32GB AT&T, iPad Air 64GB Verizon, early 2011 MBP
    iPhone Beginner

It's due to the retina screen
    Beezzy likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The 3rd generation iPad has retina screen, also.
    --
    applejosh
    Present: iPhone5 32GB AT&T, iPad Air 64GB Verizon, early 2011 MBP

Global Posts
    2,666 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm going to say it probably has a lot to do with heat dissipation. They could probably make it thinner but the amount of wear that could be added because of a more compact casing and may not be worth it at this time.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I never considered the iPad to be fat. It is comfortable to hold with my case and i don't see why it would need to be thinner.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,841 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

My guess is heat with the battery .. And CPU .. They will prob redesign the internals on iPad 5 so they can make it thinner with upgrades components

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

I think they wanted to keep the iPad 4 as similar to the iPad 3, while still adding some new features, to keep current iPad 3 owners happy. I think the real reason that the iPad 4 was released was to ensure that all iOS devices were using Lightning; it wouldn't have made sense to keep selling the iPad 3 with the 30 pin for another 6 months until the next iPad was ready to be released. The iPad 4 is sort of a "unifying" iPad; the next iPad will be the big improvement.

Also, the iPad 3 needed all of that room for the huge battery that is in it. The iPad 4 has a slightly more power efficient processor and whatnot, but it still needs a large battery. It would have sucked for case makers and those that have invested in them to make yet another iPad size. iPhones typically keep the same design for two years, and maybe iPads will have the same pattern. The iPad 4 is sort of an iPad 3S, similar to the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.
    iMore Pro

Because the screen and battery are still very thick.
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,360 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The Retina display is currently the barrier to making the iPad thinner. At 2048x1536 it takes double the LED and a lot bigger battery to drive it, and that makes it thick.

The only reason the iPad mini is thin is because it's not Retina.

It sounds like the iPad 5 will be using new LED, and maybe new screen tech that lowers power demands and thins out the device again.

Right now it's a screen with a giant battery.
    Thanked by:
    Garz (12-17-2012)
    Fausty82 and SteveW928 like this.

Global Posts
    3,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    The Retina display is currently the barrier to making the iPad thinner. At 2048x1536 it takes double the LED and a lot bigger battery to drive it, and that makes it thick.

The only reason the iPad mini is thin is because it's not Retina.

It sounds like the iPad 5 will be using new LED, and maybe new screen tech that lowers power demands and thins out the device again.

Right now it's a screen with a giant battery.
    Once the Mini goes Retina, are we looking at a thicker iPad Mini or maybe even thinner?
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by reneebjb23 View Post
    Would love to hear your thoughts besides the obvious argument that it is to milk more money and make it thinner in the iPad 5. If that is the case, that really sucks. I've always loved this company, but it just seems like need to screw us over keeps getting worse.
    Just a wee bit cynical, aren’t we? Retina screen and battery. That’s the reason. The technology hasn’t evolved beyond that point yet.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Once the Mini goes Retina, are we looking at a thicker iPad Mini or maybe even thinner?
    Iíd guess that if the new LED screens arenít ready in time for the retina mini release, they will be thicker and heavier. Otherwise, thereís hope that it will not be.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,360 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Here's the deal with the iPad mini: Retina, battery life, or thinness. Apple could only pick 2 of those 3. They could have Retina with a thick casing, or Retina with a short battery life, or no Retina with a thin casing and 10 hour battery life. Given those realities, I think Apple made the right choice.

With battery life and thinness as a priority, they probably won't go Retina until they can do it at the same size and battery life, give or take a mm.

(For the iPad 3 and 4, they chose Retina and Battery life, and lost thinness -- also arguably the right choice for that device.)
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (12-15-2012)
    Garz and SteveW928 like this.

Global Posts
    3,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Here's the deal with the iPad mini: Retina, battery life, or thinness. Apple could only pick 2 of those 3. They could have Retina with a thick casing, or Retina with a short battery life, or no Retina with a thin casing and 10 hour battery life. Given those realities, I think Apple made the right choice.

With battery life and thinness as a priority, they probably won't go Retina until they can do it at the same size and battery life, give or take a mm.

(For the iPad 3 and 4, they chose Retina and Battery life, and lost thinness -- also arguably the right choice for that device.)
    If those new LED's aren't ready by the time Apple wants to release a new iPad Mini with Retina, I'd take it a little thicker.
    I really want to have the device, but, the screen resolution is just unbearable for me.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iPhone Beginner

Hehe... I'd argue with that if I could get a non-Retina iPad 3 or 4 with like double the battery life and probably a heck of a lot better CPU and insanely more GPU performance. But, I guess the current battery life and performance are reasonable (on par with iPad 2) so they took the losses now and went with the super-screen. So, yea, arguably.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,196 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I honestly think the 4th gen iPad only came out this soon to update the charging port. Then decide it needed something else to feel like a upgrade so the gave it the A6X to double the speed.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW928 View Post
    Hehe... I'd argue with that if I could get a non-Retina iPad 3 or 4 with like double the battery life and probably a heck of a lot better CPU and insanely more GPU performance. But, I guess the current battery life and performance are reasonable (on par with iPad 2) so they took the losses now and went with the super-screen. So, yea, arguably.
    The iPad 4 manages to keep up with the iPad 2 in every way - GPU power is four times as much, to match the four times as many pixels - and then surpass it in CPU thanks to the jump from A5 to A6X. It's basically the iPad 3 that the iPad 3 should have been. An iPad 3S, if you will.

If an A6X were put into a non-retina screen iPad, or even the iPhone 7th generation, the graphical detail and effects they could achieve within that resolution would probably surpass the PS Vita.
    I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to make it short.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't see how not making the iPad 4 is "needing to screw" anyone. They need to standardize on a connector, and going forward, they had to make a decision - they're getting out of the 30-pin connector business as soon as possible. The iPad's bulk is mostly battery - and the reason the iPad 3 actually gained weight from the iPad 2 was that battery power needed to drive the Retina display and retain the 10 hours of battery life they like to tout.

You're only getting screwed if you're forced to buy it - or you're tricked into buying it. Which you're not.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Bcloutier View Post
    I think the real reason that the iPad 4 was released was to ensure that all iOS devices were using Lightning
    iPad 2 still sells with a 30-pin connector.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB