Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jf1450
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Typing is gets irritating for me on the iPad Keyboard !

Hi Guys,

I dont know if you guys also feel this, but I wonder if typing on the iPad keyboard is fullproof and effective, I mean though the keyboard is spaciously spaced out and stuff but I often make spelling mistakes with it, and just to clarify I dont make such mistakes, so many mistakes while typing on a Physical Keyboard. So how do you guys cope up with it. The most irritating part for me is a lot of time even after I have felt I have entered/pressed a key/alphabet it fails to register it like for e.g if I have typed "you" it would only type "yo" thus failing to register the last alphabet key "u" and this happens a lot of times with me... I dont know why does it happen and how do I handle it. But I also believe since it is a virtual keyboard I could only apply a gentle pressure and not bang it hard for the key to register as that would break, damage the screen.

Guys do you guys have any piece of advice/ help for me. I am seriously irritated with this phenomenon. Any Help !

Thanks Guys.

Global Posts
    22,952 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I like using the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad. For me, it's easier to do. During times when I don't have the Bluetooth keyboard handy, I peck one-handed using a stylus.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 12-04-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Global Posts
    7,597 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Have you tried the split keyboard so that the keys are closer together?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Re: Typing is gets irritating for me on the iPad Keyboard !

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    ,I peck on-handed using a stylus.
    How can you use a stylus on the iPad Keyboard ? Didn't quite understand...
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Have you tried the split keyboard so that the keys are closer together?
    But then that way you can only use your thumbs as you do on a Phone's virtual keyboard.

Global Posts
    7,597 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by vish30 View Post
    But then that way you can only use your thumbs as you do on a Phone's virtual keyboard.
    True. It just depends to where and how you are typing on it. You do get better with time and practice.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Same as JustMe said. If I have a ton of typing to do I use the Apple keyboard with built in stand.
    JustMe'D likes this.

Global Posts
    22,952 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Instead of typing/pecking with my thumbs, I use a stylus (a pen-like object used to type on touch displays). Keep in mind that I don't use it when I have a lot to type. That is what the Bluetooth keyboard is for. I'm not good at typing on the iPad keyboard with it lying flat on its back as if I'm using a computer keyboard and the split keyboard doesn't feel right for me. I'm very good at pecking with one finger or the stylus, though...
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,566 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I just hunt and peck. 😆

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad Air Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Yosemite 10.10
    Cigar Lover
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

Hi Guys,

I dont know if you guys also feel this, but I wonder if typing on the iPad keyboard is fullproof and effective, I mean though the keyboard is spaciously spaced out and stuff but I often make spelling mistakes with it, and just to clarify I dont make such mistakes, so many mistakes while typing on a Physical Keyboard. So how do you guys cope up with it. The most irritating part for me is a lot of time even after I have felt I have entered/pressed a key/alphabet it fails to register it like for e.g if I have typed "you" it would only type "yo" thus failing to register the last alphabet key "u" and this happens a lot of times with me... I dont know why does it happen and how do I handle it. But I also believe since it is a virtual keyboard I could only apply a gentle pressure and not bang it hard for the key to register as that would break, damage the screen.

Guys do you guys have any piece of advice/ help for me. I am seriously irritated with this phenomenon. Any Help !

Thanks Guys.
    You won't break the screen unless you have hammer thumbs, but yes, the ipad is not ergonomic, nor does it have haptic feedback (such as a button pressing down/audible click/vibration) so you have to adjust to it....or, throw out money for a keyboard, or keep using your laptop.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

There are quite a few capacitive stylus available for use on iPads and other touch screen devices. Check out the Accessories forums and search for stylus.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,057 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you're planning on a lot of typing, a Bluetooth keyboard may be better suited. Some of what you said can apply to all tablets regardless of keyboard layout because you can't touch type like on a hardware keyboard, and it's harder to build a typing rhythm.
    iPhone Newbie

ipad integrated touch keyboard is nothing but a larger version of normal touch mobile phone keyboard. If you really want to type comfortably you have to use a physical keyboard. Blutooth keyboard is one solution. Or you can buy a iPad casing which include a keyboard. Conclusion is you can't expect the performance or the comfort of a generic keyboard from your touch keyboard.