Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ih8reno
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Default Bucking the trend and bought an iPad 3!

For about the same dollar amount, I had a choice of a 16G iPad 4 or a 32G iPad 3. I went with the 3. My mindset was (after posting on the 4 forum( was that double the memory beat out a slightly slower chipset and a worse facetime camera.

What do all my comrades here in the 3 forum think. Did I make a great call, or did I miss the boat?
    Overcame my Crackberry addiction by realizing that my device just had to work. If iPhone/iPad owners are sheep, then I just joined the flock.

iPhone 4S, iPad 3 32G

@wackostu on Twitter

Global Posts
    12,110 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Bucking the trend and bought an iPad 3!

As long as you can use it to do the things you want to do, and you are satisfied with performance - then you made a good call and didn't miss the boat - you just got on a different boat.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    RWWackostu (11-17-2012)
    iMore Newbie

For now both iPads do exactly the same things so you're good
    RWWackostu likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I went thru the same problem couldn't decide but I seen the iPad 4 available at my apple store I couldn't resist I walked out with a 16 gig Verizon 4g model
    I upgraded from the iPad 2 wifi I did lose some space because my 2 is 64 GB but I honestly never really used maybe more than half so I am able to manage and I would rather have the 4g access

But I think either way they are pretty similar and can't go wrong really
    Thanked by:
    RWWackostu (11-17-2012)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,781 Global Posts

I agree. It makes a lot of sense to actually buy an ipad 3 at refurb cost. I can pay 599 for a 32gb LTE ipad 3 (verizon) or 729 for an ipad 4 32gb LTE. I already have accessories for it such as camera connector, hdmi adaptor, back case. That's what..60 more dollars?

Before pulling the trigger, I'm going to call Verizon and try to see if they'll match the 100 off like AT&T is doing... I don't care about contracts since I wouldn't buy an LTE device and not have a plan active on it.
    Thanked by:
    RWWackostu (11-17-2012)
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,362 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I bought an iPad 3 last week. Although I am a gadget-y person and love to have the latest/greatest, I wanted a model with cellular capability, and I already carry around enough different types of adapters, etc. Although I like the lightning connector concept, everything I have is based on the legacy connection. I don't do high end gaming, and if the performance matches my iPad 2, I hope I'll be OK with that for another year or two when I can upgrade all my devices to the newer adapter.
    --
    applejosh
    Present: iPhone 6 Plus 64GB, iPhone5 32GB AT&T, iPad Air 64GB, early 2011 MBP, AppleTV 2nd Gen
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Allin all, I am very happy with my "3". Paired with the Kensington keyboard, I am thrilled with how this integrates with my 4S, and how I can connect everything in my life together. I am in heaven. Am very glad that I went with the bigger memory. Looking forward to adding apps, and making this both a personal enjoyment tool and a business tool.
    Overcame my Crackberry addiction by realizing that my device just had to work. If iPhone/iPad owners are sheep, then I just joined the flock.

iPhone 4S, iPad 3 32G

@wackostu on Twitter
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by RWWackostu View Post
    Allin all, I am very happy with my "3". Paired with the Kensington keyboard, I am thrilled with how this integrates with my 4S, and how I can connect everything in my life together. I am in heaven. Am very glad that I went with the bigger memory. Looking forward to adding apps, and making this both a personal enjoyment tool and a business tool.
    Love the screen I came from a 2 lol
    I don't notice a big speed diff only really when loading big apps

I seen a mini and even knowing its the same as the 2 it looks better on the mini .. I bought one of those too for my wife will be here Monday then I can really compare side by side lol
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Please post your observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPhone 4S, iPad 3 32G

@wackostu on Twitter
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by RWWackostu View Post
    Please post your observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will for sure
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    1,842 Global Posts

Are iPad 3's still being sold in stores or have the iPad 4 replacing them now?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Plazmic Flame View Post
    Are iPad 3's still being sold in stores or have the iPad 4 replacing them now?
    4 should be replacing them but some stores might have them still but not sure what the price will be
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I have the three, and have no problems reference speed. I am not a big gamer, so not an issue for me. I never had an iPad, and when the new iPad came out, I bought it from the Apple App store. My only concern, when will Apple stop supporting the new iPad with updates, or you only get partial updates.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by GlennRuss View Post
    I have the three, and have no problems reference speed. I am not a big gamer, so not an issue for me. I never had an iPad, and when the new iPad came out, I bought it from the Apple App store. My only concern, when will Apple stop supporting the new iPad with updates, or you only get partial updates.
    My guess is you will be ok for a while the 3 and 4 are basically the same hardware wise only diff is processor speed ..
    Looking back ipad 2 has full feature except Siri right now ipad 1 got retired at when iOS 6 came so I would say you will get full updates for atleast a couple years .. I would guess iOS 8 or so you might see a feature or two you won't get