Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Soulrez's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Hello everyone,


    I have a Jailbroken iPad 3, and I ran into some problems with it.

    Currently, iTunes is unable to detect it, and it is not charging when it's in Springboard. By that, I mean the iPad charges when its in the low-battery state (not sure what it's called) when the battery icon is red and takes up the whole screen. However, once it's finished charging with that 1%, it goes into Springboard, and refuses to charge. I'm currently using the cable that came with the iPad. I've tried switching cables, I've tried using an iPhone cable (which I know won't work, but was worth a shot), I've tried plugging it into my PC, nothing's working.

    So then, I tried to do a restore through iTunes, but found that iTunes was unable to detect my iPad. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes, I've rebooted my PC, and it's not working still.

    Anyone have any suggestions on how I could proceed? I can take it into an Apple Store, but the problem is that it's Jailbroken, and I'm unable to "un-jailbreak" it.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    6,963 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,968 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    If you're trying to charge it from a windows pc most of those don't have enough power going to their USB ports to charge an iPad. It may be able to trickle charge if their are no apps running and the screen is off.

    Using the cable from an iPhone is fine. It is the same cable as the iPad. Your best bet is to charge it with the charger it came with.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Soulrez's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    If you're trying to charge it from a windows pc most of those don't have enough power going to their USB ports to charge an iPad. It may be able to trickle charge if their are no apps running and the screen is off.

    Using the cable from an iPhone is fine. It is the same cable as the iPad. Your best bet is to charge it with the charger it came with.
    Hi, thanks for replying.

    I am trying to charge it with the cable and adapter that came with the iPad. However, I don't get the lightning bolt thing on the battery icon on the top right corner, which shows that it's not charging, not even from the wall outlet with my original cable and adpter.
  4. #4  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    6,963 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,968 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Have you tried just leaving it off and plugged in for a while to see if it will charge?

    Is it under warranty? If its a hardware issue, then the jailbreak shouldn't matter although that may depend on which "genius" you get.
    Thanked by:
    Soulrez (11-03-2012)
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Soulrez's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Have you tried just leaving it off and plugged in for a while to see if it will charge?

    Is it under warranty? If its a hardware issue, then the jailbreak shouldn't matter although that may depend on which "genius" you get.
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll give that a shot.

    And yep, it's under warranty, but if charged enough, you can still access the Springboard, so they can see that it's jailbroken :[
  6. #6  
    rayz336's Avatar

    Posts
    2,553 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,763 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.3

    Default iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    If you have a Windows PC and iTunes doesn't see it:

    Hit the Windows button
    Type in services
    Restart the Apple Mobile Device services
    Close and reopen iTunes
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    Soulrez's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    If you have a Windows PC and iTunes doesn't see it:

    Hit the Windows button
    Type in services
    Restart the Apple Mobile Device services
    Close and reopen iTunes
    Hello,

    I tried that, and unfortunately, it did not work. iTunes still can't find the iPad.
  8. #8  
    rayz336's Avatar

    Posts
    2,553 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,763 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.3

    Default iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrez View Post
    Hello,

    I tried that, and unfortunately, it did not work. iTunes still can't find the iPad.
    Oh ok, that usually fixed my problem when I was jail broken. I think there may be another service you can try, but I can't think of it at the moment. When I get back to my computer, I'll see if I can find it and ill post it.
  9. #9  
    rayz336's Avatar

    Posts
    2,553 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,763 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.3

    Default iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    Oh ok, that usually fixed my problem when I was jail broken. I think there may be another service you can try, but I can't think of it at the moment. When I get back to my computer, I'll see if I can find it and ill post it.
    Edit: I think the other is iPod Service. I hope you get your problem solved.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    Soulrez's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Have you tried just leaving it off and plugged in for a while to see if it will charge?

    Is it under warranty? If its a hardware issue, then the jailbreak shouldn't matter although that may depend on which "genius" you get.
    It doesn't charge when it's turned off. However, I changed to a different outlet, and it says "Not Charging" at the top. It's slowly gaining power that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    Edit: I think the other is iPod Service. I hope you get your problem solved.
    Will try this in a sec!
  11. #11  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Turn it off then hold home button while attaching to pc it should put iPad in recovery mode iTunes should promp and say its in recovery and make your restore
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    Soulrez's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Turn it off then hold home button while attaching to pc it should put iPad in recovery mode iTunes should promp and say its in recovery and make your restore
    Hi, I tried that, but couldn't get it to work.

    Seems like I have a hardware issue, since my iPad isn't being recognized by a computer either.
  13. #13  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    I would go to settings and press erase all data .. It will prob lock up but atleast them apple won't see the jb either
  14. #14  
    l_kelso's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Did you ever resolve this issue? My ipad has started doing this out of the blue (exactly 1 month after the warranty expired of course).
  15. #15  
    lancilot's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Hi to everibody Anybody solve this ?
    I've the same but with IPAD2 Not Jail . I've already follow all suggestion and step from Aple, changed cable, tried different PC&MAC still impossible to get it detected. Charging with wall charger is very slow (100% in more than 24hr) and charging icon do not show the charge spark.
  16. #16  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    21,931 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,165 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: iPad 3 - iTunes not detecting and not charging

    Quote Originally Posted by lancilot View Post
    Hi to everibody Anybody solve this ?
    I've the same but with IPAD2 Not Jail . I've already follow all suggestion and step from Aple, changed cable, tried different PC&MAC still impossible to get it detected. Charging with wall charger is very slow (100% in more than 24hr) and charging icon do not show the charge spark.
    You might want to make a Genius Bar appointment with the closest Apple Store and have them check it out. Your battery could be malfunctioning or the charging port could be malfunctioning.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 11:44 AM
  5. How to get out of your TMobile Contract and not pay ETF
    By h22kai in forum Carrier Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM

Posting Permissions