Should I Switch Off my iPad or leave it on all day ?

vish30

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a iPad-3 and the way I use it is like 2-3 Hours in the Morning then 1-2 Hours in the evening and some 3 Hours in the Night. I have a Apple Smart Cover. What is the best way to preserve my battery and also ensure that constant on and off does not harm my iPad what do you guys suggest should I leave it on all day and let the Smart Cover wake it and sleep it or To turn it off is a better idea so the iPad is not unnecessarily on. Especially when I may use it after a gap of 4 Hours. With the kind of usage I have mentioned.

Thanks !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not going to Hurt either way. I leave mine on most of the time but I also turn it completely off on occasion. It is just something I prefer to do.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time but I am religious about closing out all the apps in the Multi-Tasking Bar.
Two iPads one iPhone- all stay on 24/7.
Good Luck

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Haven't switched mine off for more than a minute since March. Was just for reboots. You'll be fine leaving it on.

vish30

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys sure I should it leave it on for such Long Intervals, if I am not using between those intervals and I am talking about long intervals here...Imagine/consider if you were using a Laptop or your Desktop instead would you keep it on if you were just gonna use it for a while in the morning and then directly use it in the night. I dont do the same with my Laptop but dont know how to deal with th iPad :( is it not a bad practice of using a computing device ?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you are not going to use it for days your could turn it off. I keep all my test devices off until I need them, but like I said my production devices only get rebooted occasionally.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
All my devices never are off reboot everyone in a while or when they completely turn off from dead battery

Does not hurt anything .. Honestly I think if you constantly turned it on and off it might use more battery then just leaving it in sleep mode

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I leave mine on all day. I don't think I have ever shut it off even when charging. I find that it charges very slow if it's off so why bother. I have the Apple Smart Cover too so it goes to sleep and the battery drain is almost non existent.

metreece

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that putting my iPad into Airplane Mode before putting it to sleep with the cover causes the battery drain to stop. Watching the battery percentage hours or days after putting it into Airplane Mode, it doesn't change. This is because it turns off all radios in the iPad that might be listening for updates to come in. Now that IOS 7 control panel is available, putting it into airplane mode is very fast as well as turning off Airplane Mode.

So my thought is that IF you are going to be using it every day, just put it to sleep with the Smart Cover. IF you are not going to be using it for a day or two, put it into Airplane Mode before putting it to sleep. Both these ways allow quick recovery compared to turning it off completely and rebooting.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm which everyone else pretty much. I couldn't tell you the last time I've turned mine off. I do close out all the apps in the task bar

The_colombian

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys sure I should it leave it on for such Long Intervals, if I am not using between those intervals and I am talking about long intervals here...Imagine/consider if you were using a Laptop or your Desktop instead would you keep it on if you were just gonna use it for a while in the morning and then directly use it in the night. I dont do the same with my Laptop but dont know how to deal with th iPad :( is it not a bad practice of using a computing device ?

That is what I do on my windows devices because putting them to sleep creates all kinds of havoc. I let all my apple stuff on stand by and never get any lag or issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711