Anyone dump their ipad 3 to get an ipad mini??

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why I'm even considering, but I'm debating selling my ipad 3 and getting a mini. The slightly smaller form factor would make it more usable. One reason I don't drag my ipad around more is the size and weight. But I LOVE the screen (retina). Not sure how well I'd handle the non-retina screen, but I never though my ipad 2 looked "bad" (ie never seemed as bad as iphone 3GS vs 4 for example)... ipad mini would be slightly sharper being that it has smaller pixels and high ppi (163 vs 128? or something like that)... But still down on ppi vs the ipad 3 w/ retina display...

i have a 64GB LTE model ipad 3... don't use most of the capacity, and while i've made use of the cellular data, right now it's been expired for a few months, and I don't have or feel the need to renew it (saving $30 / month)...

would probabaly take a bath selling it... would expect to get maybe $550-600??? new they were 850.... If i got a mini, it would be a 32gb wifi model...

am I crazy for considering this??

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think you are. I will never, ever use an Apple device ever again that doesn't have
a retina display. They've spoiled me with it and I've been ruined for lesser displays.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The size would have appealed to me IF the specs had not been so sub par compared to the iPad 3 or iPad4. The specs are from an iPad 2 and that's already out of date and likely won't see iOS 7 on it next year. No thanks, I will use my iPad 3 for a couple of years, I am no longer buying into the annual upgrade process.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The size would have appealed to me IF the specs had not been so sub par compared to the iPad 3 or iPad4. The specs are from an iPad 2 and that's already out of date and likely won't see iOS 7 on it next year. No thanks, I will use my iPad 3 for a couple of years, I am no longer buying into the annual upgrade process.

you do bring up a good point on the iOS7 thing... how much would Apple omit from ipad mini version... i'm assuming it will get iOS 7 no question, but will it be like today's iphone 4 running iOS 6... ie. slow and lacking most of the newer features...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
you do bring up a good point on the iOS7 thing... how much would Apple omit from ipad mini version... i'm assuming it will get iOS 7 no question, but will it be like today's iphone 4 running iOS 6... ie. slow and lacking most of the newer features...

Always remember how the original iPad didn't even get iOS 5. It started with iOS 3 and eventually
got iOS 4. But never was upgradeable to iOS 5. Not saying it would be the same case with the
iPad Mini. Just something to keep in mind.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Always remember how the original iPad didn't even get iOS 5. It started with iOS 3 and eventually
got iOS 4. But never was upgradeable to iOS 5. Not saying it would be the same case with the
iPad Mini. Just something to keep in mind.

Original iPad has iOS 5.1.1 but not iOS 6

Every device will have its max eventually

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Original iPad has iOS 5.1.1 but not iOS 6

Every device will have its max eventually

Correct. My mistake.

Considering that the jump from 5 to 6 wasn't that big, I still do have a hard
time understanding why it didn't get iOS 6. iOS 4 to iOS 5 had some really
big changes under the hood and they got it working, minus some features.
But, whatever. Who knows.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am selling my iPad 3 to Gazelle. I had originally planned on getting the iPad Mini, however, I've since had second thoughts about it and now plan to wait a bit before getting another tablet.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I would be surprised to see iPad 2 not get iOS 7 with apple releasing a iPad mini same specs and that getting iOS 7

But then again iPad 2 don't get Siri and the mini does

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Going from iPad 3 to mini is like going from a BMW to a smart car.

In some cases, that can make a lot of sense ;)

It may end up that I don't like the mini, but I'm willing to give it a try... and IMO, it's time to sell the 3

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711