Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    sammyh85's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts

    Default Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    Hi, I apologise I this is covered but I cannot find the answer. All I want to know is...

    Will the iPad 3(new iPad) still receive future iOS updates?

    Again, apologies if this has been covered. I'm not a frequent forum user

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    It definitely will. There's a small chance it might be missing a "big feature" like Siri wasn't available for update, only on the next generation of phones, but it will be update compatible for sure.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    sammyh85's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts

    Default Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    Quote Originally Posted by Retconaddict View Post
    It definitely will. There's a small chance it might be missing a "big feature" like Siri wasn't available for update, only on the next generation of phones, but it will be update compatible for sure.
    Thanks. Appreciate it
  4. #4  
    Raptor007's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    512 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,165 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    You concern is very valid, iPad 1 got the shaft, and given we are already on iPad 4 and likely iPad 5 in the spring, we will be 2 generations old but the hardware should still be able to support the full bill, yet the question is WILL they give us the full bill.

    Just like Apple touts the super high % of iOS 6 adoption, what they failed to note is the fragmentation and disparity between iP3, iP3GS, iP4, iP4S and what didn't get certain features. Call what you want that is fragmentation in the iOS world. To me I should be able to buy an iPhone and get 3 years out of it especially given the current iP5 processor and memory configuration, but I have little doubt as they move to quad-core processors in the iP6 or iP7 we will get left behind big time.
    2014 15" MacBook Pro, SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme, iPhone 4S (Verizon for Work) & Pre-Ordred iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Gold (AT&T), Waiting on iPad Air 2 to be announced.
  5. #5  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    You concern is very valid, iPad 1 got the shaft, and given we are already on iPad 4 and likely iPad 5 in the spring, we will be 2 generations old but the hardware should still be able to support the full bill, yet the question is WILL they give us the full bill.

    Just like Apple touts the super high % of iOS 6 adoption, what they failed to note is the fragmentation and disparity between iP3, iP3GS, iP4, iP4S and what didn't get certain features. Call what you want that is fragmentation in the iOS world. To me I should be able to buy an iPhone and get 3 years out of it especially given the current iP5 processor and memory configuration, but I have little doubt as they move to quad-core processors in the iP6 or iP7 we will get left behind big time.
    The tech industry sees the evolution of products faster than any other... do you really expect a 3+ year old cellphone (even one from Apple ) to offer all of the same features as a current model? Memory, capacity, screen technology have all evolved, gotten better and cheaper over that 3 year period... and it will continue. Not much you can do about it, though. It's a fact of life, and the cost of playing in the game.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (10-26-2012)
  6. #6  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,886 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,263 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default Re: Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    The tech industry sees the evolution of products faster than any other... do you really expect a 3+ year old cellphone (even one from Apple ) to offer all of the same features as a current model? Memory, capacity, screen technology have all evolved, gotten better and cheaper over that 3 year period... and it will continue. Not much you can do about it, though. It's a fact of life, and the cost of playing in the game.
    This can't be stressed enough. Just the world we're living in. It's a caffeinated society.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
  7. #7  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default Re: Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's a caffeinated society.
    Absolutely!

  8. #8  
    Ih8reno's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    28 Posts

    Default Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    Ipad mini which was just released has an a5 processor which is almost identical to the a5x in the ipad 3rd gen except for more graphic cores. I'm positive it'll be supported for quite a long while.
  9. #9  
    erwaso's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts

    Default Re: Future iOS updates with "the new iPad"

    As long as the processor can handle what's in the new update, the 3 will always get a new one.

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone 4S vs The New iPad - FFC with Skype
    By StephenBB81 in forum iPhone 4S
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 08:34 AM
  2. Wi-Fi problems with the new iPad
    By Rene Ritchie in forum iPad 3
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
  3. The real problem with the new iPad
    By @ArcadeLion in forum iPad 3
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM
  5. Siri for iPad 2 on Future iOS Update?
    By sheen in forum iPad 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Posting Permissions