iPad 3 aka IPad Pinto

openthepodbaydoors

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I am incredibly upset about the New iPad 4 which should really be the iPad 3. The defining spec of the iPad3 was the Retina display. Much of the iPad 3's problems stem from the inability of the A5X processor to support the Rentina display , overheating , slowness, dropped wifi ect. This now seems to be rectified with the A6X processor. The A6X processor is the chip that should have been in the iPad 3 all along. I don't know whether Apple knowingly released an incapacitated product to maintain market dominance or realized the device was flawed and corrected it. Paying for this is obscene betrayal of Apple's customers who bought a flawed device. The automobile analogy is constantly used in defense of the iPad 4 . Apple should offer a free upgrade to all who purchased the 3, not just those on who bought it a month ago on a per store basis at the managers discretion. Apple released a flawed device and all those who bought it should be given a replacement. I have never heard of the auto industry charging to repair a manufacturing defect on a recalled car. This negligence on Apple's part is very fertile ground for a class action law suit.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I love the "Pinto" reference. Not sure you'd get anywhere with a class action law suit but I do agree that Apple did release a lemon just trying to keep with their timeline for release.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am incredibly upset about the New iPad 4 which should really be the iPad 3. The defining spec of the iPad3 was the Retina display. Much of the iPad 3's problems stem from the inability of the A5X processor to support the Rentina display , overheating , slowness, dropped wifi ect. This now seems to be rectified with the A6X processor. The A6X processor is the chip that should have been in the iPad 3 all along. I don't know whether Apple knowingly released an incapacitated product to maintain market dominance or realized the device was flawed and corrected it. Paying for this is obscene betrayal of Apple's customers who bought a flawed device. The automobile analogy is constantly used in defense of the iPad 4 . Apple should offer a free upgrade to all who purchased the 3, not just those on who bought it a month ago on a per store basis at the managers discretion. Apple released a flawed device and all those who bought it should be given a replacement. I have never heard of the auto industry charging to repair a manufacturing defect on a recalled car. This negligence on Apple's part is very fertile ground for a class action law suit.

Good luck with the class action lawsuit thing.

I have had my iPad 3rd gen since launch day. I have not experienced any of the issues that you list: inability of A5X to drive the retina display, overheating, slowness or dropped wifi. At the most, my iPad gets warm - but nothing that I would classify as "hot" or identify as "overheating". I watch plenty of HD video on my iPad and have not experienced any problems with the video...

Perhaps the A6X chip IS the chip that should have been in the iPad 3 all along... the problem with that is that the A6X chip did not exist at the time the iPad 3 was launched. To say something that outrageous would be equivalent to saying that the Apple ][ computer should have come with an Intel quad-core i7 Ivy Bridge processor - it would have been nice, but that chip, likewise, didn't exist at the time the product was launched.

As far as the auto industry/manufacturing defect analogy goes, Apple will replace any iPad that it sees is defective... but simply put, the 3rd gen iPad is NOT a defective product.

What this all boils down to is that you are caught up in the hype that because Apple released an incremental upgrade to a device that you own, you are somehow damaged by that. It's true that your 3rd gen iPad is no longer top dog around the Apple ecosystem... but it's still the same viable and fully functioning product that it was when you woke up on Tuesday morning.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
"Also, in terms of relative utility, if it needs to be said: The iPad 3rd-gen you bought in March, April or May is every bit as functional now as it was last week; it runs the same apps, shows the same videos and docks with the same peripherals (something that the new 4th-gen iPad, for the record, cannot yet do). Christina's argument that the "high-end games" will now target the 4th-gen is a hypothesis, not evidence; iOS and the vast majority of apps will continue to support the 3rd-gen and the iPad 2 for quite some time to come. Millions of users are still happily using their original iPads, and they may not know or care that anyone is torqued about having a 3rd-gen that's no longer top of the charts." Michael Rose

Original article The iPad 3rd-gen's "miraculous transformation" from magical device to object of shame | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

openthepodbaydoors

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No there have been numerous issues if you do the research. Simply put the A5X processor stumbles handling the demands placed on it by the Retina Display. It's about having a properly functioning device rather than the latest and greatest. My iPad 2 functions better than my iPad 3 because the A5X processor can handle 1024 x768 screen which it was designed to do. The A5X processor is not designed to handle 2048 x1536 of the Retina display. The A6X processor is designed to support the Retina display. It's about properly functioning technology and with the iPad 3 Apple released a product that was not ready to be released.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If u are truly having issues, why not set up an appointment with Apple and have someone look at it. If its faulty, they'll replace it. No problem there

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No there have been numerous issues if you do the research. Simply put the A5X processor stumbles handling the demands placed on it by the Retina Display. It's about having a properly functioning device rather than the latest and greatest. My iPad 2 functions better than my iPad 3 because the A5X processor can handle 1024 x768 screen which it was designed to do. The A5X processor is not designed to handle 2048 x1536 of the Retina display. The A6X processor is designed to support the Retina display. It's about properly functioning technology and with the iPad 3 Apple released a product that was not ready to be released.

Ok, say it with me... The iPad 2 does not have the A5X processor. The iPad 2 has an A5 processor. The 3rd gen iPad has the A5X processor. So any argument that you attempt based on "the A5X chip in the iPad 2" is invalid...

Apple A5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I have had my iPad 3rd gen since launch day and have three close friends who also have it... none of us have experienced the issues that you allege.

openthepodbaydoors

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Direct quote from your link

"Well, sure, chips might have not been ready. But release it anyway--
engineering be dashed! No, wait, sorry that doesn't make any sense. We can't on the one hand castigate Apple for releasing an iPad 3rd-gen that was underpowered for it's HiDPI display and lacked the Lightning port and then on the other hand admit that those upgraded components weren't actually production-ready.

Apple knew it was releasing a product that wasn't ready and did so anyway.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Direct quote from you link

"Well, sure, chips might have not been ready. But release it anyway--
engineering be dashed! No, wait, sorry that doesn't make any sense. We can't on the one hand castigate Apple for releasing an iPad 3rd-gen that was underpowered for it's HiDPI display and lacked the Lightning port and then on the other hand admit that those upgraded components weren't actually production-ready.

Apple knew it was releasing a product that wasn't ready and did so anyway.

Why the interest? You haven't indicated you actually own an ipad.

To be fair, i did feel it was slightly underpowered. Others felt it was fine. It wasn't a big deal to me though and the screen was incredible. I did sell mine a few months back because I didn't want AT&T any longer but knew there'd be a fall announcement so i held off on replacing. No one forces you to buy things. You had time to try it out.

openthepodbaydoors

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I own an iPad 2 and an iPad 3. I bought the iPad 3 for the Retina display, I had no idea it would be incapacitated . You don't find these things out in a store ,playing with them for 5 minutes but over time

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Mad cow disease is an environmental disaster proportions ,it had spread to humans and is know as Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease. I don't know what this has to do with the iPad 3 .

It has everything to do with your penchant to spread fertilizer and pretend its fact.

Give facts from reputable testing & benchmark analysis organizations that support anything you claim. Or quit representing your grand delusions as fact.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mad cow disease is an environmental disaster proportions ,it had spread to humans and is know as Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease. I don't know what this has to do with the iPad 3 .

Ok, we all get it... you've got your panties in a bunch... but your constant complaining that suddenly the iPad 3 is inferior and was not ready for prime time are old, and frankly, undocumented.

You've been a member here since March, 2012 - ironically the exact time that the iPad 3 was launched... your profile says you've posted 16 times, though only 12 are available... and NONE of them said anything about this until Apple announced the 4th generation iPad... something doesn't smell right here. As Keith and others have suggested, it's time to "put up or shut up"... provide some bona fide documented support or move on...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Will give you comparisons and benchmarks once they are released. No need for scatalogical barnyard metaphors

Again, it only took you a full 7 months and for Apple to release a new device for you to get your panties in a wad. Funny how everything was fine (as noted by your lack of comment to the contrary) until Tuesday morning.

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
But seriously, why in the world did you not say anything beforehand? You seem adamant that it's a terrible product, yet you had 7 months to talk smack before. Why now? And what are you hoping to accomplish with these continual tirades on these boards?

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
But seriously, why in the world did you not say anything beforehand? You seem adamant that it's a terrible product, yet you had 7 months to talk smack before. Why now? And what are you hoping to accomplish with these continual tirades on these boards?

He's a troll plain and simple. There is not, nor has there ever been, any defect with the iPad 3 as he alleges.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox