Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Fausty82
  • 1 Post By cardfan
  • 1 Post By kch50428
  • 1 Post By cardfan
  • 1 Post By kch50428
  • 1 Post By Peligro911
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default iPad 4 now, iPad 5 in March?

Hi guys! First, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I couldn't find an iPad 4 forum, so I posted it here. Anyways, onto my question.
    iPads are normally release towards the beginning of the year, with the iPad 3 being released in March. The iPad 4 was just released today. Now I know there was some speculation of the iPad today just being a minor upgrade, and it would be more of an iPad 3.5. But this is an entire new generation... Does this mean they will release an iPad 5 this March, or will we have to wait until another October/Fall event?
    I have an iPad 2 and planned on upgrading to the next generation, but may hold off if the iPad 5 is being released this coming March.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on this. Thanks in advance!
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: iPad 4 now, iPad 5 in March?

Heh, I would not trust Apple to not release 5th generation then.

Global Posts
    19,256 Global Posts
    iOS Version

With today's introduction of the 4th generation iPad, your guess is a good as mine...
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

The biggest message that Apple sent today is that their previous refresh "schedules" are no longer valid...

- - - Updated - - -

The biggest message that Apple sent today is that their previous refresh "schedules" are no longer valid...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    kch50428 likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts

I think it's clear that they're targeting the fall for holiday releases. It's a long time til next fall so let's hope they have some software side of the things to come in the spring.
    CairnsRock likes this.

Global Posts
    19,256 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt about it...

Global Posts
    11,429 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The new iPad is a shot across the bow of Micro$oft & their 'Surface'.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    The new iPad is a shot across the bow of Micro$oft & their 'Surface'.
    I thought about that, too, Keith... but there were also rumors several weeks ago about a refresh for the lighting connector... so who really knows.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts

I think MS will do a fine job of shooting themselves in the foot with all that RT confusion.
    CairnsRock likes this.

Global Posts
    11,429 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I thought about that, too, Keith... but there were also rumors several weeks ago about a refresh for the lighting connector... so who really knows.
    I was expecting the iPad to get the refresh with just the connector change and not the full-blown spec overhaul. But seeing that Microsoft has their Surface coming out, and all the other competitors releasing their latest and greatest attempt to kill the iPad - as in the 3rd generation iPad - Apple flipped them all the bird with a 4th generation iPad.
    Last edited by kch50428; 10-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

I'd be surprised to see an updated iPad in March but who knows anymore. Today's announcement was a total shock! If anything, I was thinking new Lightning connector, maybe a small refresh but not what we saw today.

A lot of people are complaining about this update happening so soon but, look at it from Apple's point (if they thought of it this way). All companys want to be the best, on top, most profitable ect... Apple is dominating but... there is competition coming from every direction. If your not on top, then you want to try to take the big guy down. So the upgrades that they have made to the most popular iPad pushes them even higher up on the mountain and it will probably maintain that 91% of all tablet sales figure.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be surprised to see an updated iPad in March but who knows anymore. Today's announcement was a total shock! If anything, I was thinking new Lightning connector, maybe a small refresh but not what we saw today.

A lot of people are complaining about this update happening so soon but, look at it from Apple's point (if they thought of it this way). All companys want to be the best, on top, most profitable ect... Apple is dominating but... there is competition coming from every direction. If your not on top, then you want to try to take the big guy down. So the upgrades that they have made to the most popular iPad pushes them even higher up on the mountain and it will probably maintain that 91% of all tablet sales figure.
    iPhone 5 (32GB), iPad 4 (32GB), Apple TV, 2.3 GHz i7 Mac Mini - 16 MB RAM!

Apple... it's not just a brand... it's a lifestyle!
    iPhone Beginner

I think with all the competition they have to refresh a little frequently. It wasn't that much that changed outside of the connector, FaceTime camera and a few specs.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asuperstarr View Post
    I think with all the competition they have to refresh a little frequently. It wasn't that much that changed outside of the connector, FaceTime camera and a few specs.
    What competition? The ipad 3 was murdering it. The refresh did nothing to really address any windows 8 tablets that will be coming. And they don't have to. No one knows how windows 8 is going to do. You can't really plan any response to that yet. Besides, windows RT is a mess. This was more about getting the Lightning dock in and also reclaiming performance numbers back from the iphone 5.

The ipad mini addressed the only real competition in tablets and that's coming from the shallow end of the pool.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think it's clear that they're targeting the fall for holiday releases. .
    This. I think they are moving their Most selling products to be released on a fall schedule for the holiday season so that people who get them as gifts don't see a new generation being released a couple months after.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Patricksmangann View Post
    This. I think they are moving their Most selling products to be released on a fall schedule for the holiday season so that people who get them as gifts don't see a new generation being released a couple months after.
    Yeah, I can't imagine that could be a positive experience.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Anyone ditching their iPad 3 for a 4 or a mini? I'm thinking about doing the later... I find not using my iPad as much since getting a MBP retina, figuring a mini might be more useful/portable than the 9.7"

Global Posts
    19,256 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Anyone ditching their iPad 3 for a 4 or a mini? I'm thinking about doing the later... I find not using my iPad as much since getting a MBP retina, figuring a mini might be more useful/portable than the 9.7"

I don't have the New iPad, but in no way am I ditching my iPad 2 for the 4th generation iPad or the iPad mini. My iPad is still fast, responsive and continues to suit my tablet needs. I am, however, considering purchasing an iPad mini for my youngest son.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I don't have the New iPad, but in no way am I ditching my iPad 2 for the 4th generation iPad or the iPad mini. My iPad is still fast, responsive and continues to suit my tablet needs. I am, however, considering purchasing an iPad mini for my youngest son.
    Glad to see someone who shares my opinion .. My iPad 2 64 gig works great if I sell it they currently go for 400 to 450 . I can't even get a 4 gen 16 gig and barley get a 32 gig mini
    But my wife who does not have a iPad or tablet wants a mini so I'm site there will be one in my house soon lol
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Patricksmangann View Post
    Yeah and the more I think about it, it's a huge move. Think of all the lost sales Apple has. It's not so much the people who receive them as gifts. But the ones who never do because they figure a new is out in March. Those then that plan to buy in March, i bet many never do. Others probably grab that new android or Kindle instead because it's newer. Holiday is about impulse buying as well.

Apple killed two birds with one stone. They eliminated having to worry about a hyped event in the spring that probably would disappoint (if the ipad 4 was indeed what they had in mind for then). And they got everything iOS on a holiday track.

The only thing to wonder about is what do they do to fill the spring/early summer void.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I doubt we'll see a 5th gen iPad before next fall. Apple seems to be changing their scheduled release dates and I think the fall is going to be the iPad release date.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,175 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Yeah and the more I think about it, it's a huge move. Think of all the lost sales Apple has. It's not so much the people who receive them as gifts. But the ones who never do because they figure a new is out in March. Those then that plan to buy in March, i bet many never do. Others probably grab that new android or Kindle instead because it's newer. Holiday is about impulse buying as well.

Apple killed two birds with one stone. They eliminated having to worry about a hyped event in the spring that probably would disappoint (if the ipad 4 was indeed what they had in mind for then). And they got everything iOS on a holiday track.

The only thing to wonder about is what do they do to fill the spring/early summer void.
    I think the spring/summer will still be ok because the new iOS will still be announced than. Maybe this means a radical change in iOS7 since its the only thing Apple has in that time frame now.
    iPhone Beginner

I don't think there will be a change of the iPad in March.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I expect a shift towards Apple TV in the spring release timeframe
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I bet you anything there will be a thinner revised form factor for iPad by next spring/summer. I doubt they want all the product cycles in the fall.
    iPhone Nanite

It's not the i
    D 4, its the ipad mini